Flat Camper Trailer Battery How To Recharge ?

Hi, Newbie to Camper Trailers and camping. Need help with charging my battery. Have unfortunately let my battery run down and when I plugged in 240v power lead to recharge nothing happens. Someone mentioned you can jump start the battery but I have no idea. Does this work ? Is there any other way to start charging a completely flat battery ? MDC Step Thru Camper, had been sitting in my driveway at home for 6 months prior to this trip. Unfortunately didn't plug the battery in once during this time. Any help or advice greatly appreciated. Learning all the time.
Brett G.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wholehog - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 09:22

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 09:22
Have you run a voltmeter over it to see if there is any charge in it at all..?

I am thinking if it was in your MDC, was it still wired/connected to the electrical system?.

Was there a discharge occurring if this is so ?

I don't hold great hopes that your battery is going to be resurrectable.

In future when storing the camper, maybe disconnect the battery, and give it a top up charge every month or so.
AnswerID: 552050

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 09:50

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 09:50
Hi Brett
If the battery voltage is too low most chargers won't charge them. Jump starting is similar to jump starting a vehicle, hook up jump leads to a fully charged battery , (the one in your vehicle) this gets some voltage for the charger to activate, leave all hooked up for maybe 30 minutes then the flat battery will be taking charge, you can then unhook the jumper leads , the "flat" battery should be taking charge from the charger, if not after this time it is probably no good.
A battery that is below 12.4 volts will be deteriorating,especially being flat for long periods they will be damaged irreversibly. In use they will handle being down but usually are recharged straight away, so doesn't have bad affect.So the battery may be stuffed, but may still perform , but I wouldn't want to rely on it.
I use charge and maintain chargers for my motorcycles etc they keep batteries fully charged and have the ability to float charge, so you leave them on full time while in storage, well worth the investment.
Cheers hope this helps
AnswerID: 552052

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 10:01

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 10:01
Thanks Shane - from a bystander. I should have remembered that but over time have forgotten it.

I wouldn't trust the battery either. I suggest to get a new one.
FollowupID: 837600

Reply By: swampfox - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 09:58

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 09:58
HI
Batteries degenerate very little if u use a good 7-10amp smart charger . Remember typically a charger of lesser capacity will only be able to maintenance charge not charge from flat . Either leave it attached permanently or week on week off . A digital voltage display may be a good idea .
Does the camper come equipped with a battery charger ?? Is it a decent unit ??
swampfox

AnswerID: 552053

Follow Up By: Member - Bigred13 - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 10:43

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 10:43
Hi Brett, is it a new MDC or a used one??,if a used one it could be that it has happened before maybe more than once ,in that case the battery may need replacing. Another thing ,was the battery fully charged when you last used it?,you could try hooking your vehicle up and see if that does anything to get it started .I had trouble with the DC reset button on mine,maybe give that a press to reset it,when you hookup.
Regards John
FollowupID: 837601

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 12:07

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 12:07
I had a car battery discharge to 1.6V Took it to Battery World who charged it over 4 days. That was in Nov 2013. Car still starts every morning no probs.

If you havent got a charger I suggest you try them.

They didnt charge me to do it either
AnswerID: 552055

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 18:47

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 18:47
Hi Tom - I think it was your voltmeter that was faulty.
A 12 volt battery that heavily discharged has gone to heaven.
FollowupID: 837621

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 18:59

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 18:59
Thats strange because it said the same on the Battery World tester
I do know and trust my multimeter.

It wasnt in heaven because it rubbed on my trousers and it ate holes in them LOL
FollowupID: 837623

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 19:15

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 19:15
You are a lucky ducky Tom.
Lead acid batteries discharged down that low usually have the stuffing knocked out of them.
High quality low resistance AGM’s like Lifeline or Optima will stand that sort of punishment a lot better.
FollowupID: 837627

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 13:11

Monday, Apr 06, 2015 at 13:11
Brett,
Do you have a charging connection between your car and the camper?
If so then hook up the car and start charging at idle speed. At the same time, plug in the 240v power lead to the camper to operate your charger. With the car alternator providing a charging voltage to the camper battery the mains charger should begin charging and the car can now be disconnected. This is essentially the same as 'jump starting' but more convenient.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552058

Sponsored Links