Another "unknown” Australian explorer revealed.

As I’ve stacked up a few years under my belt, I’ve become amazed at just how Australian history seems to remember those explorers whose biggest achievements have often been the fact that they expired (or nearly did so) during their exploratory pursuits. The more I’ve researched the more I’ve come to realise that buried away in dusty archives are some truly inspirational feats of exploration that have gone largely unheralded simply because they were so successful. The paths taken on these journeys were often more difficult than those where other men perished yet because there was no drama involved, or they haven’t sought notoriety, we know very little of them. Thanks to the efforts of quite a few EO members over the years, we’re made aware of many of the ‘lesser known’ explorers like Gregory, Lindsay, Carnegie, Davidson, Kidson and Terry.

Thanks to a bit of inside information from EO member Stephen L, I was very pleased to find that a new book has recently been published about explorer Richard Thelwell Maurice, a pioneer of South Australia and another of our ‘lesser known’ explorers and a particular favourite of mine. Between 1896 and 1903 Maurice explored much of South Australia and the Northern Territory from his base at Fowlers Bay SA. In 1902, with Surveyor William Murray, Maurice crossed the continent from Fowlers Bay to Wyndham writing a remarkable anthropological and exploratory record. He discovered and named places that are still significant to many of we outback travellers today. Tallaringa Well on the Anne Beadell Hwy is one such location.

Neville Collins from Adelaide has researched the life, times and travels of Maurice and has recently (self) published “The Unknown Explorer”. It’s a great read and gives a great insight into the man, the times and the outback. It’s one more for the reading list.

Some background here;RT Maurice - SA Memory Entry

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 22:25

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 22:25
P.S. Anyone looking for a copy, contact Neville directly via his email nevillecollins@adelaide.on.net

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552131

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 22:56

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 22:56
Hi Mick

It makes you wonder just how many more Early Day Explores like Maurice that have gone under the radar as such.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552135

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 23:07

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 23:07
Hi Stephen,

I think there's a few more - also, a lot of exploration was done by prospectors who only keep scant records if any.

Keep an eye out for Mark Chamber's book - Explorations in the Central Deserts, due out later this year.

LINK

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837763

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 23:11

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 23:11
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the post.

Perhaps you may know if Waldana Spring and Waldana Well are the same place.

On Maurice's map of his 1901 expedition it shows clearly that he visited Waldana Spring which is south of Voakes Hill. He even drew a cross sectional drawing of it.

In EO places, Waldana Well, which is in almost exactly the same place, it says that the well was discovered by Len Beadell. I haven't got the book, can you confirm?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552139

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 23:14

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2015 at 23:14
I think I've answered my own question, it says rediscovered, not discovered so is probably the same place.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837704

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:16

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:16
Enjoyed that thanks Mick and Alan, had a taste or two of the places you talk about and can not wait to get out there again.
FollowupID: 837751

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 22:48

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 22:48
Reading page 27 of Bush Bashers (Len Beadell) and this link: HERE it can be safely assumed that the two Waldana's are the same place.

EO places updated to reflect this.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837762

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 18:33

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 18:33
Two good stories about RT Maurice you may or may not know, Mick:

1. He once sent a telegram to Pat Auld [Auld & his family were wine & spirit merchants and the same bloke as in Pat Auld's Vat] saying "Rheumatism bad. Send case whiskey"

2. In the Globe Hotel on the far west coast of SA - an hotel he was fond of visiting - he shot all the lights out with his revolver one night!

So.............. we have a lot to do to catch up with the exploits of explorers and pioneers...........

Mick, have you come across Hubbe yet? Are you, like me, a Larry Wells fan?

Cheers

RM

PS a new book about Chas Winnecke has just been released. It's a good read and available from the Royal Geographical Society of SA
AnswerID: 552175

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 19:24

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 19:24
Hi Rick

Not sure if I have ever told you or not, but my great grandfather was a member of the 1896 Hubbe Expedition that departed from Oodnadatta.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837747

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:15

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2015 at 20:15
Ah, Larry Wells...Penola's favourite son. Yes most familiar and have followed a lot of the Calvert expedition route and also the sites from the Land Rover 1996 centenary retracing expedition. I'm a fan of most of the lesser knowns ;-)

Calvert Scientific and Exploring Expedition Blog

I'll chase the book on Winnecke as I've also crossed a lot of the Horne Expedition route out west of Alice (See recent blog on Laycock's Hill). I just took possession on the Friends of the SA State Library facsimile of A.A. Davidson's "Explorations of Central Australia 1898-1900". Murray and Maurice used Davidson's maps during their 1902 expedition, particularly for the largely unknown Tanami desert.

Not familiar with Hubbe. So much to read, so little time.

Cheers Mick

Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837750

Sponsored Links