Life! What to make of it?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:02
ThreadID: 117452 Views:2548 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
My neighbour of thirty years passed away this week at the grand age of 92 , ,loved his caravan and camping trips whilst his wife was alive, .. and carried on by himself until a few months ago when health issues pulled him up. He stuck with his old XY V8 Ford falcon sedan and 14ft millard caravan which where purchased new all those years ago.Never wanted anymore or less, just contented with what he had including his family grandkids and friends.. I feel he was a lucky man by todays standards, and hope I'm lucky enough to do the same, you never ever know whats around the corner, so in a lot of ways life is a gamble, just make the the most of it if possible.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: axle - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:03

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:03
What happened there? lol.
AnswerID: 552293

Follow Up By: OBJ - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:49

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:49
Dunno, it's your post.
FollowupID: 837850

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:05

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:05
Runaway cut and paste? Excessive Enters and Carriage Returns :-)

(Hold the down arrow on your keyboard and if it goes miles below your text hold the backspace key until your text reappears.)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 837862

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:54

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 19:54
92 isn't a bad innings mate. An old v8 xy falcon. I had one. Wish I had it now!!!. Life is a gamble mate. Make every day count as best you can.

cheers and sorry for the loss of a mate..
AnswerID: 552297

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:00

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:00
Thanks Big Fish, And Yeah as much as we'd like you can't go on for ever!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 837854

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:50

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 20:50
G'day Axle

Many many years ago when I was a young fella - I was sucked in, like the majority of people in this country are into believing that having lots of money is what life is all about. How wrong was I ???

My turning point - I was lining up at the lotto counter behind a couple of old blokes
(yep, my age now) who obviously haven't seen each other for quite some time and they starting chatting. Standing right behind them in the very long queue of people wanting to be wealthy, I could easily hear everything that was said.

"Howz ol' Jim going ? "

"Didn't you hear about ol' Jim ? "

"Nah what happened ? "

"Well ol' Jim retired at 65 last year - got the big payout and bought a new Toyota Landcruiser and big fancy caravan and started preparing for his big dream of
travelling around Australia for 5 years "

"Yeah, go on"

"Well ol' Jim set the caravan up to live like a king, spent thousands on the Cruiser, went for a 3 week trial run to make sure all was good "

"Yeah "

"All was good - so they rented the family home out and started to get excited about the forthcoming trip "

"Yeah - keep going "

"Ya won't believe this mate ! "

"What ? "

"Two weeks before the big life long dream is about to come to fruition - Jim has a heart attack and dies ! "

"Ya kidding me ? "

"Nah mate - poor Jim's gone "

From that day on I decided I do not want to be "Jim" and have spent my life doing everything that I enjoy ! Now - I might not be "worth much" and occassionally struggle for money but should I die tomorrow, I am confident that I will have a smile on my face knowing I did more with my life than most people I know.

I won't go into everything I have done and everywhere I have been but I do have a bit of an internal chuckle when some of my extremely wealthy friends say they are jealous of the life I have lived !

My motto - " I am going to be happy today - not tomorrow ! "

All the best

Gazz

AnswerID: 552300

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:00

Saturday, Apr 11, 2015 at 21:00
You just keep doin that Gazz!...and all the best in years to come!

Axle.
FollowupID: 837861

Follow Up By: Louwai - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:39

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:39
A friend of mine & his wife saved long & hard for years. The plan was for a world trip for a year travelling & staying 1st Class.
Both in their 60's. Still young & very active.

The friend went to work one morning at about 6am, kissed his wife goodbye. He arrived home at around 6.30pm to find his wife still in bed. She had passed away about 2hrs after he'd left for work.

Was a very sad time.
FollowupID: 838001

Reply By: Fab72 - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:03

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:03
Axle,
Sorry to hear about your mate (who just happened to live next door).
Sounds like he actually lived his life and didn't just exist.

A few years back I had a very bad motorbike accident that changed the way I see things. It went a long way to realigning my priorities.....that's for sure.

Hang in there mate.
Fab.
AnswerID: 552310

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:47

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 08:47
Never been up to speed on the earlier Falcon models, Axle, so found this example amongst many others.

Sorry about your loss, hope any new neighbours are at least half as enjoyable as the old bloke was. People are so varied in their thoughts, needs and lifestyles, when being content, healthy and having supportive family and friends are the most important.

92, eh? That'd do me too, as long as had good health...........

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552312

Reply By: papou - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:17

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 20:17
Sorry for the loss of your neighbour mate n 92 is a good innings especially if one has enjoyed his time whilst alive :).
Hear many use examples as such to do as much as they can whilst time n health allow , but rewards in life arent just in abillity to travel alone but to enjoy all that one has a passion for.
Children , and the greatest gift your Children can give you are Grandchildren :) , they are the witnesses to the footprints you leave behind ey :).
From there we can enjoy travel with or without our towhome or an overseas travel if something we have dreamt about n can afford.
Wetting a line or watching some tastefull heirloom tomatos ripen that yourve put the effort into growing :).
My Mother passed at 95 and her passion were her Children , Grandchildren and Animals she had on her small acerage.
She was happy to get up early of a morning and feed her Animals first , ring us . Her Children . A lot in life to enjoy if health allows.
Wish you well and hope your new neighbours are as good.
Cheers n Safe n Happy Travels
AnswerID: 552356

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 21:03

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 21:03
Great post, papou. That's about where we are. Thanks.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837923

Follow Up By: mrdontargue - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 14:28

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 14:28
Hi papou,

Posting that grandchildren are the best gift you own children can give is a little upsetting for those decent people amongst us who have been unable to have children.

My parents have always told me the best gift I can give to them is to respect others, have a great relationship with my brother, be happy in my adventures and enjoy our time as a family. Professional status and money mean nothing.

My wife and I would like nothing more than to give our parents grandchildren, but there are some hands we are dealt in life that can't be won.

Cheers
FollowupID: 838009

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:25

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:25
This life is a test for the next one that is better for most of us - it's that simple.
We're given a set amount of years here, there's nothing we can do to change that.

Some people barely make adulthood and are apparently snatched away before they can achieve anything.
Some peoples lives are snatched away by incredible evil and what appears to be random events.
I believe those peoples short lives occurred, to regularly warn the rest of us, how easily and quickly, life can be snatched away.

As with most people, I think I've endured enough of lifes hardships, to pass the test.
One has to remember that the University of Life is the biggest and toughest educational institution around - entry is free, you have little choice about whether you join it or not, and you don't get out alive!!

92 is a great innings. I'd like to be able to exceed that - but in good health. I can't see any benefit in living, when you're in poor health.
I think contentment with the deal you've been handed, is the secret to a long and happy life - and money isn't everything.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 552391

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:56

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:56
I have to agree with your last bit - no point in living old if you're in poor health. Don't smoke, don't eat food that is bad for you, and keep active.

Food: don't get lazy about food and live on soft drinks, beers and take aways. Make an effort to change your bad habits - the only diet you need is to "eat real food", which means don't eat processed products, or at least minimise it. Don't drink anything but water and a little red wine.

Activity: Keep active - walk every day, get outdoors and talk to people.

Mental Heath: Make commitments to meet other people regularly to enjoy a hobby/sport/craft. Spend time with your family. Don't hold grudges. Laugh lots. Don't be hard on yourself. Engage with nature daily - observe the daily change in your local park, beach, or whatever and let yourself absorb the positive energy from the day. Be grateful for what you have and LIVE IN THE MOMENT. Don't get caught up in what you have planned for the future - do meaningful things each day. Write lists of small achievable weekly goals and tick them off and feel good that you did them. Always know that its ok to be selfish sometimes it is all about you. Don't be a martyr to everyone else all the time. Don't spend time with negative people.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838000

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 15:21

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 15:21
Life is for living, anyone who doesn't take that attitude is missing out badly.

After a cancer scare a few years back and some ongoing lung problems as well, life is now good.

At age 74, I've just bought and got back on a motorbike and am bluddy lovin' it. Feels like Im' back in my 40's but with the wisdom of years. (A few aches and pains too)
Looking at doing Perth - Alice Springs later this year, on the bike, of course.

'er indoors is off to UK in a couple of months so mate and I will be heading bush while she's gone. Will be back to civilisation and cleaned up before she gets back.

Looking forward to both bike riding and bush life for a while.

As I said "Life is good"

Disco.
AnswerID: 552394

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 19:58

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 19:58
Disco, the only problem with motor bikes is that when you fall off (as you invariably do), you don't bounce and get up again, as you did when you were 20!
The stats here in W.A. show an upsurge in motor bike injuries to older blokes (50 plus) as they go and buy a Harley or something faster with retirement payouts - then they fall off or collide with a car and end up with some serious injuries.
The cops reckon a lot of these blokes have lost riding skills they had when they were younger, or their reflexes are slower - or the cars are faster!
I've still got a CM250 Honda (mini-Harley) and I gave up riding it many years ago when I clobbered a 'roo on it. I kept upright, but barrelled the 'roo into the roadside drain.
After that, I started thinking about whether I really wanted to ride that much, that I'd risk serious injury from everyday road events that you shrug off in a car. The car won.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 838016

Follow Up By: disco driver - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 09:48

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2015 at 09:48
Ron, I'm aware of all the figures, but I don't worry too much.
I live in a small rural community with a high percentage of older bike riders and to help you understand my situation a bit more, I was riding up to the age of 65 so it's not a case of "Let's buy a bike and learn to ride'.

Besides it is my life and I'll do what I want to in the years I have left
My family are happyish with this arrangement.

Disco.
FollowupID: 838045

Reply By: Louwai - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:59

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:59
My parents are pretty amazing.
Mum played tennis at the local club twice a week for as long as I can remember. She stopped playing 3yrs ago.
Mum just turned 91 in Feb.

Dad has recently finished replacing the 2 old tilt-doors on the shed for 2 roller doors. Built a new chook run, laid a concrete path down the back yard to the clothes line & then tiled it..
And plenty of other stuff. He's still very active.
Dad is 96 this year....

They've just had their 68th wedding annaversary......

Dad is interesting to listen to. He is straight to the point & has not time for "political correctness". Maybe that's where I get some of my blunt attitude from... :)

THe one thing that is noticable. Dad never speaks about the war.. WWII. I know he used to drive a tank & I know he used to be a General's Aid, but other than that, nothing. He won't say a word....
About 8yrs ago I took him to the Tank Museum at Puckapunyal. He was looking over all the photos on the walls of the WWII soldiers. It was quite amazing.
He's looking & saying, "there's Pete", "and there's Jack", and so on. All his mates from back then. He was talking as if it was the day before.....

A very interesting day for me.....
AnswerID: 552433

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 18:12

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 18:12
Great Post and replies! I think my long held signature says it all! Michael

There's time to rest when youre dead, Get out and do something instead!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 552633

Sponsored Links