Savannah Way

I am heading up to the Savannah way in about a month and was wanting to tow a 4.2m tinny. Has anyone had any experience doing that. Another option is to tow a 5.75 boat but I though it would be too big?

Also, was looking at going to Manangoora. Has anyone been there lately?

Regards

Nick
(Melbourne)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlanTH - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:27

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 10:27
Many people tow vans up there as we did so what's the problem? Just drive at a sensible speed and with correct tyre pressures and enjoy yourself.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 552322

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 12:02

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 12:02
If u r talking the Roper road it will depend on when they grade it. Will have been done by then so will depend on amount of traffic chewing it up. Just bring the 4.2, lots of rivers to fish along there. Don't forget your Cherrabin pots (opera house), bring extra in case u loose a few, and a truck load of velvet soap as bait.
Our favorite place is the Roper, very beautiful.
Watch out for the rocks in the rivers and the Lizards :-)
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552327

Follow Up By: Nick J1 - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 16:00

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 16:00
Where on the Roper river do you camp?
FollowupID: 837890

Follow Up By: OBJ - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 16:07

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 16:07
Are they fresh or salt water lizards???
:)
OBJ
FollowupID: 837892

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 19:54

Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 19:54
Both types of Lizards.
1.) don't camp near the water, rule of thumb is 50m but for me unless I'm in a van or roof top camp, 100m +

2.) Do NOT fish from the bank!

3.) Do NOT put your pots in and out via the waters edge, do it from the boat!

4.) Plan the launch and retrieve of your boat so you can do it in a timely manner. I always try to keep an obstacle between myself and the waters edge. Same goes for when getting out of the boat on a bank. Do it on a raised bank (I don't mean one you can't climb), park the boat in such a fashion as to have a log in between you and the water, very hard for a croc to get to you this way.

5.) Be smart but not paranoid, we really aren't their first choice for a feed and unless VERY unlucky it's only the idiot's that have issues.

Out of time, getting called for tea, will get back to you re the camping spots :-)
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 837913

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:31

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:31
Good advice there. I watched 2 blokes launching a tinny on the Mary River last year. One got in before it was slid off the trailer, a quick start then sat out well away from the bank, then when his mate had parked the trailer he went in and picked him up very smartly and out again. You could see crocs in every part of the river from the boat tour loading ramp......"Don't go too far down there" an aboriginal bloke warned me.
Be wary but enjoy the trip.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 837945

Sponsored Links