Need new tyres?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 20:16
ThreadID: 11746 Views:2168 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Am heading to Fraser after easter break towing a camper trailer. My present tyres are due fairly shortly to be replaced. Should I replace them before I leave, or use the tyres with less tread on? They are still quite roadworthy so perhaps they would be better?
Any other suggestions for having a good time on Fraser would be gratefully received. PS Have 7 nights there at Cathederal beach which I hear is under new ownership.
Thanks for any help.
Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Xcited - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 20:31

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 20:31
Greg,
I would go the new tyres as so far this year we have had some good rain here in Gladstone and Fraser is just a stone through away. Also I was there after easter last year for ten days and all the tourist buses had cut up alot of the tracks. Making it a lot of fun for me, but boggy for others.

Hope you enjoy Fraser as much as we did...

Cheers
Brett
AnswerID: 52872

Reply By: grege - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 20:34

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 20:34
Brett,
Thanks for the advice.
Have a great Easter
Greg
AnswerID: 52874

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 21:25

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 21:25
Don't know about the tyres but I was up there a week ago - right in the middle of the cyclonic winds and rain. The beaches and tracks were really badly washed away. Take care, The conditions were quite rugged.

Must see spots -
Eli Creek - watch out for the crowds, but still great. We keep the flies we swat and feed the jungle perch from the boardwalk.
Lake McKenzie - beautiful, but crowded as well.
Lake Birrabeen - just as nice as McKenzie (my opinion), but much quieter.
Wangoolba Creek boardwalk is closed for renovations and extensions for another couple of months but some people do cross under the fence when there's noone working there (hint hint -try it on a weekend)
Lake Allom - see the turtles.
Indian Head at sunrise - best time to see it.
Happy Valley resort - huge meals and not too expensive.
The old McKenzie Wharf area on the west side of the island.
Sandy Cape Lighthouse - 1.2km walk in 1:9 grade. If you can get there. Be careful of the tides. Ngala Rocks bypass in January was easy, but after the recent bad weather and Easter crowds it may be a bit nasty.

Regardless of the weather it's still a beautiful place.

Alternatives for camping -

The new camping area at central station is handy to the lakes and is really well set up - highly recommended.

Dundubarra - not bad, but will be better when construction of the new toilets / showers is finished.

Have a good time.
AnswerID: 52881

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 22:38

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 22:38
Depends on your tyre type and tread pattern. The lesser tread on deflated tyres might be better than more aggressive ones in the sand. The roots growing across the tracks can give your tyres a bashing. Maybe get the last out of the old ones and buy newies when you get back. I would.
AnswerID: 52884

Follow Up By: flappan - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 09:12

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 09:12
Yeah I agree. If they are plenty roadworthy (rather then Just Roadworthy) , massive tread isn't what is normally required for sand.

If you are in a position to get them changed , might as well do it, but I wouldn't do it for any other reason.
FollowupID: 314699

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:18

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:18
Add to the list;
Lake Boomanjin
Wathumba Creek
The Tourist drives are fun!!
Lake Garawongera
Hell.... everywhere you look is beautiful!!!!!!

Just treat it good, ok?
:-)
AnswerID: 52975

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:25

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:25
oh.... and tyres??? I dunno about yours... but I always hear about how my Muddies are gonna get me bogged on Fraser... I'm not saying I'll never get bogged, but so far on our trips to Fraser/Rainbow/Cooloola/Teewah we have never had any dramas. It comes down to tyre pressures, right gear and range and the driver... not necessarily in that order.
FollowupID: 314748

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:41

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:41
yes, if theyre roadworthy theyll be fine in Fraser, on the sand, and taking the tracks easily they wil be fine too methinx
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 314751

Sponsored Links