Trailblaza fridges

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 12, 2015 at 21:47
ThreadID: 117464 Views:11804 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thought i might post a few thoughts on the trailblaza fridge freezer range. Just bought a second one to accompany the one i have been using as a freezer for over 20 years. This new one is a bit upmarket fabricated out of checker plate ali, with two thermostats, fast freeze switch, volt meter, low voltage light, gas strut on the lid and temp gauge. Only availible from the small factory in queensland they are the best 12volt fridges made in Australia or anywhere else for that matter in my view. The only part ever replaced on my first one was a thermostat which is a ten minute job you can do your self and with the fast freeze switch which bypasses the thermostat you can still use your fridge, just having to turn it off and on manually. Recon both fridges will outlast us thats for sure.
Cheers Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nickywoop - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 06:18

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 06:18
Agree with your comments Graeme.
I also own two 60 litre Trailblaza fridges, one is 22 years old, and the other 13 yo.
Never missed a beat either of them, use one as a freezer other as a fridge, when travelling.
When home the older one stays on the back of the ute, the old Blue Dog stands up on it to see over the cab. Gets posts, firewood anything chucked on the back hitting it at times, not even a dent in the thick marine grade aluminium they are built from.
The only problem that people with restricted space may find is that they are fairly bulky (due to great insulation) and weighty compared to the tin and plastic opposition fridges. They will outlast me.

Cheers Nick
AnswerID: 552369

Follow Up By: mike39 - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 07:41

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 07:41
Yet another with a 20yr. old Trailblaza.
And like Graeme the only problem in all that time was the thermostat, in my case dust between the contacts. Easily cleaned without need for replacement.

When I spoke to the lady at Norcoast she hoped the problem was not the electronic controller, as they had become obsolete with that model compressor.
Luckily it was ok, the controller is susceptible to over temp. conditions so I installed a 70mm fan in the case wall to cool the unit.

I made an alloy angle legs and surround which enables 2 pieces of marine ply to form a top compartment away from frozen goods stored on the bottom.
If set to ~-12 at the bottom the top stays ~-1, ideal beer temperature.

Yes Nick, like the old L/C cab.chas., Supreme Getaway van, Trailbaza, all still be going when I am not!
Mike

FollowupID: 837938

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 07:56

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 07:56
Another vote for Trailblazer. I have a ten years old 60 ltr still going strong.
I decided to buy mine when I saw several on the back of professional fisherman's utes in FNQ, all exposed to weather & obviously doing their job.
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552372

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 19:52

Monday, Apr 13, 2015 at 19:52
G`day Greame,
Yes I bought my 80 ltr Trailblaza with the compensation money I got when " Flack Jacket Johnnie" ordered my guns be destroyed, what`s that, about 19 years ago I think?
It`s hard wired into my 60 series and can be switched to portable Solar, 450 a/h 12 v supply in c/van, 200 a/h 12 v battery or via a 50 amp Stirling dc-dc charger in the 60 , 240 v generator or via a 20 amp 12 v charger, 240 v grid supply.
It has never missed a beat even though it has done thousands of off road Kilometers.

It costs a heap of money to go to the top end and catch a few fish these days and the last thing one wants is to have to throw the catch away on the way home because of fridge failure.
There are no guaranties on this not happening with any brand but at least one should start with the most reliable brand available, I reckon that`s a Trailblaza.

As mentioned in post above, early L/Cruiser, Supreme Getaway C/van, a Trailblaza fridge, all = less stress.

Scrubby
AnswerID: 552414

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 14:15

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 14:15
Good to hear from satisfied customers.

Anyone got some time in with a more recently made unit?
AnswerID: 552436

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 18:44

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 18:44
Hi Sigmund. Mate has had the same one as ive just bought for two years now. Only difference is mine is checker plate and his is plain ali. Same size 75 liter which is slightly bigger than the 80 litre waceo I just sold. Just for a comparison if started hot at about degree's the wacoe would take hours to get to temp, the trailblaza took ten minutes and a further twenty to get to minus 15. There is no comparison on build quality or performance . The unit is slightly bigger in width and length and lower than the wacoe but you get 75mm insulation that actually works and I will work out the running time but im guessing at least a third less than the wacoe. With all the extras mine was $2300 including freight to WA which is about a grand more than the wacoe but the fridge will probably outlast me. Looks to be put together the same as my 20 year old one and all analogue. I have never met Margaret but did tell her I was going to put a post on this site after my fridge arrived.
Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 838013

Reply By: Slow one - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 19:06

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 19:06
20 + years and never a problem with mine. Great fridge.
AnswerID: 552452

Reply By: putrol4.2 - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:55

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2015 at 20:55
my 20yo 60ltr has had 3 thermostats & a new motor because they couldn't get electrics for the old compressor so had to up grade to the new version & I also have a explorer had no issues but they don't make them anymore
AnswerID: 552460

Sponsored Links