Comment: Cape York - Winter Travel Destination

Looking to go in July, last trip in November 2011, this time the easy trip as talking some older people with limited mobility, using a camper trailer and a tent. Any suggestions for easier access places to take elderly , they can walk Ok as long as not too steep.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:40

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:40
The only trouble with July is it is the peak of the season with convoys of trailers in each direction, dust, dust and dust, and every camping place crowded.
If you go in October/November the roads are almost empty and plenty of room everywhere. It is only marginally warmer.
Having said that I'll probably go in July if I want to take grandchildren with me as it is school holidays. But to make up I'll go again in November with no kids. I can do this from Cairns as the Cape is "just up the road".
AnswerID: 552529

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 18:35

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 18:35
any chance the bypass road would get another going over with the graders by October or does it just get the one early season scraping?
FollowupID: 838131

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 22:51

Friday, Apr 17, 2015 at 22:51
You can't tell year to year. Sometimes the NPA section from Capt Billy turnoff doesn't get a look at all. Best to ask closer to October via the forum what current road conditions are. But I'd take the road with minimal traffic any day.
At present locals down for a funeral say the road is a bit ordinary, but then there hasn't been time for roadworks to ramp up so the dips and soft patches will be a bit rough still.
FollowupID: 838217

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 10:07

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 10:07
thanks OnYa. Will keep an eye out.
FollowupID: 838252

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 17:34

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 17:34
October/November is certainly NOT the time to do a Cape trip with elderly people. Especially a tent or trailer. The temperature may only be 32 but the humidity will be a nightmare, especially for an elderly person. If you are from down South the humidity will leave you exhausted in no time flat. 2013 and 2014 October was extremely humid. Its only just stopped being as humid in the last few weeks. The Cape has pretty much the same weather as Cairns.
Maybe early September would be alright. I know most of the Southerners are starting to head home before the dreaded humidity sets in. As has been said, the dry season comes and the Cape road is like Bourke Street.
FollowupID: 838275

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 16:16

Thursday, Apr 16, 2015 at 16:16
Hi David,

Have you had a look at the following Trek Notes?: Cape York via Bypass Roads & Cape York - Seisia to the Tip.

Of particular use for you would be to have a look at the map for each trek note, and click on Places icons for points of interest near/along the route. Once you are viewing the information on each place page you should be able to determine if it will be a suitable place for you to visit. There are also lists of Places to See & Stay for you to review.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 552539

Reply By: Brett T7 - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 22:57

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 22:57
I run a blog along side a friend of mine who lives up on the Cape, Im sure he would only be too happy to answer a few quick question for you. His email is jason@yourtripright.com

If he does not get back to you email me brett@yourtripright.com and I will sort him out!

Enjoy

Brett
AnswerID: 552742

Sponsored Links