Road conditions - Mt Ive station to Minnipa, and alternative to Kimba

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 17:11
ThreadID: 117532 Views:3402 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We are hoping to stay at Mt Ive station next week, traveling from Iron Knob and would like current road conditions on either of the roads I have named above for when we leave to return to the Eyre Highway a few days later.

Haven't rung the station to check whether they have had rain in the past couple of days as much of SA has had, as I am aware that this will close the roads for a period of time, but plan to do this tomorrow so we can change our plans if necessary.

Just thought someone on EO might have current information they can add, as when i last spoke to the station they hadnt traveled the roads mentioned above for a while. Would like to know not just about whether corrugated, sandy or stony but also whether there are low branches or narrow sections where we would have difficulty towing caravans...Both vans have reasonable ground clearance, and we know to reduce tyre pressure and slow down.

thanks Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 19:37

Saturday, Apr 18, 2015 at 19:37
Hi Heather

I am the bearer of good news.......all the roads over that way are open, and the SA Outback Roads report has them open to all vehicles.

I have just rang Mount Ive Station to get a first hand report and the lady was just telling me it was more of a drizzle than heavy rain, only recording just over 15 mm of rain since it started the other day.

They have had people coming in and said that there are only a few wet patches coming in from Iron Knob, with no problems at all.

Have a great time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552641

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2015 at 10:49

Sunday, Apr 19, 2015 at 10:49
Of course you'll be checking the weather for any rain along the route. Our experience was muddy with some fish tailing towing a camper trailer. And that was after about 15mm of rain back in April 2013. As with many outback roads, they turn to grease with this amount of precipitation. So take it easy with your big rig and do enjoy the scenery, it's fabulous.......W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552656

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Apr 19, 2015 at 11:05

Sunday, Apr 19, 2015 at 11:05
Yes we will check roads are open closer to our travel dates. Maybe someone staying at Mt Ive will have travelled the way we want to leave by which goes past Pildappa Rock ideally...

Thanks
Heather

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552662

Reply By: Member - Peter (1) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2015 at 16:58

Sunday, Apr 19, 2015 at 16:58
G'day Heather,

I travelled said road, Mt. Ive to Minnipa, last November and I too was towing a van. My travels on dirt was from Glendambo to Kingoonya, Kingoonya to Tarcoola via Wilgena Sheep station and back to Kingoonya then down to Mt. Ive for a five day stay. Great place with great staff, don't forget to visit the Organ pipes, the lake and the dam.
The trip from Mt. Ive to Minnipa was a typical dirt road with a mixture of limestone rock outcrops, sandy patches and a few tight bends whilst travelling through the ranges (not tight as to cause problems towing, but tight as in oncoming traffic, especially going over hills, keep to the left) I experienced no problems and did not need 4 wheel drive at any time. Travel according to the road conditions and you should have a pleasant drive.
I had intended to stay a day or two at Pildappa Rock, but it was over run with ants, so travelled on to Ceduna.

Regards,

Peter (1)
It doesn't get any better than this!!!
Peter (1)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552686

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 05:59

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 05:59
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply and the information about the Minnipa to Mt Ive road which is really helpful.

I was speaking with some of a group of 4WD couples yesterday who called in at Iron Knob (where we are staying) to have lunch and they were on their way to Mt Ive for a couple of nights. I also spoke to Tanya at the station who said the road would be ok, SA roads show al the roads in the Gawler ranges region as open. Weather forecast is looking good for the next few days too. So it seems we will get there.

regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838368

Sponsored Links