roof racks

Submitted: Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:11
ThreadID: 117560 Views:2371 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have been looking for roof racks for a long time and I know if you want quality you have to pay for it BUT I have found a supplier in Melbourne that is doing a cheap Chinese built roof rack for about $350. They look like a copy of the Ironman racks with 3 different cage styles.
Apparently the load limit is 500 kilos, we all know that you don't put that much weight up there but I do like knowing I can load it and stand on it without breaking it, in theory.
The question is. Has anyone used or bought these racks or the ironman racks and if so how did they hold up?
These racks will only be used for holidays and then removed again due to fuel economy reasons.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 15:09

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 15:09
111 views and no replies would seem to indicate no one has experience with these roof racks. But as one who has wasted enough money on cheap stuff that was no good and had to be spent again plus some to buy what I should have bought in the first place, rather than saving money on cheap new stuff, buying quality second hand is a much safer strategy.

The classified section of this website is a great place to start.
AnswerID: 552717

Follow Up By: Member - TonyV - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 15:44

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 15:44
Paul,

The other problem is no detail of the roof racks, apart from it looks like an Ironman one, I got a cheapy from a guy in Bendigo that some people think is an ARB one... but without a web site, or picture.....

I haven't yet got to the stage of wishing I brought one from ARB
FollowupID: 838389

Follow Up By: oetkb - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:24

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:24
I don't want to give any form of advertising to this brand or company for the simple fact that there are advertisers on this site that pay good money to support this site and I do not wish to distract from them.
As for a photo I said it looks like an ironman version.
Cheers
FollowupID: 838425

Follow Up By: Member - TonyV - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 13:23

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 13:23
oetkb,

No problems, but you mention Ironman?
Others have mentioned ARB, Rhino, TigerZ11 even Unsealed Mag !
Few if any advertise on this site...

It is still hard to answer your question on a "looks like".

But there you go.
FollowupID: 838439

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 15:11

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 15:11
Ironman racks are chinese made. Have heard of rust problems, google ironman roof racks.

I myself like and use ARB products, never had an issue yet.

AnswerID: 552718

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 15:12

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 15:12
and I also agree with Paul B's comment.
FollowupID: 838387

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 12:11

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 12:11
I have an ARB full length steel roof rack which is starting to rust out on a couple of the uprights but it has been on the roof for the last 13 years.
Cheers Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 838433

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 16:21

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 16:21
I have ARB stuff and it has all come back in the condition it left home.

If your roof rack fails while you are in the bush where are you going to hide the stuff that was on it?
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552720

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 16:40

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 16:40
One of the 4x4unsealed mags, current or recent, had a run-down on Chinese knock-offs:

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/

Recycled steel, welds that haven't penetrated, fasteners made of cheese, coatings that fail within 6 months, bolts that are missing, bolt holes that don't line up etc.

Also bear in mind that whatever the rack is rated at, the roof is what sets the load limits, and then when you're going offroad you'd reduce that by a third or a half.

In general some Aussie suppliers are selling Chinese stuff and there's no reason why it can't be well-made with the backing of a reputable name. Outside that it becomes a lottery IMO.
AnswerID: 552721

Follow Up By: oetkb - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:28

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:28
Thanks for the info, This was the type of thing I was looking for.
As for weight I want to put six surfboards on it.
FollowupID: 838426

Reply By: Brett T7 - Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 22:44

Monday, Apr 20, 2015 at 22:44
I bought a tigerz 11 cheap set at Christmas 2013. I live on the Great Central Rd 230km west of Uluru so every time my car is on the road it is getting punished.

I installed the Roof racks and got it a little long and in a massive down pour on the way back home after christmas they caused a leak through to the roof. I adjusted and they have been all good!

There now 16 months old and they are still doing the job well. I didnt think they would get past the first 6 months. I think they are pretty good to be honest and just put my Grand farther onto a set.

They may fail in the next 6 months but that is the gamble I took. If you want assured quality I believe you need to pay the $$.

As for taking them on and off. I question how practical this will be. I had to take the roof rails off my Prado to put the Tigerz 11 one on. Im not sure everything would go back together that well after the 2nd or 3rd time. The time involved is pretty massive to.

I did use a roof pod out here for a while. This may be a better option if you are looking to take it on and off, also depends on how much weight and the size of item you want to carry. The pod did crack after 6 months and is now a swimming pool for my daughter.

Good luck and let me know where you ended up.
AnswerID: 552740

Follow Up By: oetkb - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:31

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:31
Thanks Brett, The roof racks are gutter mount so it is fairly easy to take on and off the racks are only needed for 1 big trip a year and a few smaller ones throughout the rest of the year.
Cheers
FollowupID: 838428

Reply By: andy - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 01:51

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 01:51
Anyhow, a roof load of 500 kg is absurd, shurly a typo. Our Rhino roof rack is specified for a static load of 100 kg, which is about what the roof of the car can carry. The dynamic load depends on the roughness of the road. We carry no more than 30 kilo including the roof rack that weighs 10 kilos.

Cheers
AnswerID: 552748

Follow Up By: oetkb - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:48

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 11:48
Some numbers for you to think about Andy. You claim the roof will only support 100Kg.
I assume you are about 80kilos and the roof rack is 20Kg
Going by your numbers that means that if you climb on your roof to put anything up there you have now exceeded your load limit and will damage your car. If you stand on the ground and load it you are either extremely tall or you are loading the sides of the rack making roll overs more likely.
Can you please educate me on how you go about solving this problem as I will admit my maths aren't great and I perhaps don't have all the information?
As for 500 Kilos being absurd and surely a typo I will point out that a great Australian made roof rack made with imported steel (Black Widow) had a reputed by the salesman at black widow, load limit of 500kg.
Cheers
FollowupID: 838429

Follow Up By: Member - TonyV - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 14:03

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 14:03
Check the roof load capacity for your vehicle, I would do a search but I do not know what you drive.

Most manufactures limit the roof load whether rail or gutter mount to between 80 - 120 kg.

This may not be the total load a roof can take, but it is the safe working load if you want to drive it and go around corners.
Check the Rhino Rack web site they have all vehicles rack load for most vehicles.

Yes if a person gets on the roof to load, you will exceed the limit for what, 5 minutes, that load is not there when you drive.

Andy mentioned static loads, which is totally different to moving loads where the weight on the roof can lighten to nothing then triple though a dip in the road.

As for the 500kg load, apart from the vehicle being totally unstable, a Nissan Patrol has a payload of 696kg in manual form, take out 136 ltrs of fuel, the driver an passengers, bulbar, winch, extra battery, spotties, rear draws, big wheels and a fridge full of grog, they would be lucky to get much on the roof rack without exceeding GVM.

FollowupID: 838441

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 15:00

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 15:00
An ARB steel rack weighs in excess of 50kg. Most vehicles have a 100kg limit on roof weights.
As said it all comes out of payload and when we went travelling, after weighing up when fully kitted out we had to leave the rack and some other stuff behind
AnswerID: 552763

Reply By: 877 - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 20:32

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 20:32
We've had a Tigerz11 flat roof rack on constantly for 2.5 years. It has got a fair amount of rust underneath the powder coating (it's mostly where we load our surfboards so it gets sand and salt on it quite a bit).

We have a roof top tent on it and it copes fine. The advantage of the tigerz11 is it weighs almost nothing, so it's easy to lift on and off. Also the mounting design is a lot easier than the previous Ironman roof rack we had.

As i said it's a bit rusty now, so you don't get the life out of it as you would say an ARB. But, it was only 400 bucks

Em
AnswerID: 552778

Sponsored Links