Alloy Drink Bottles

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 18:19
ThreadID: 117572 Views:3144 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
We are using two Spinifex drink bottles when travelling in our vehicle. Recently they have developed a `metal` taste and have a fine granule deposit inside around the neck of the bottle. Also if we put a finger into the bottle , it will come away with grey film on the finger where it has come into contact in the bottle.

Is there any way to remove this granule and film deposit from inside the bottle?
Being alloy , we are not sure what to use. Regards G.T.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: birdnerd - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 18:30

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 18:30
Hi G.T.,
I would throw them out and buy some new stainless steel ones!
Amanda
AnswerID: 552774

Follow Up By: birdnerd - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 07:37

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 07:37
There has also been a lot of studies on the use of plastic recently. Google it. You can chose whether to believe it or not but I like to err on the side of caution, especially when it is about my health! Not sure if those Gatorade or similar bottles are designed for repeated use and if you have left them in a hot car, get rid of them. I still say stainless is the way to go and you really don't need to keep replacing them, unlike plastic.
Amanda
FollowupID: 838473

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 18:37

Sunday, Apr 26, 2015 at 18:37
Ummm ... the OP was regarding ALLOY bottles, not plastic. So the majority of your post is somewhat irrelevant.

Alloy (actually Aluminium alloy) is not totally immune to the growth of nasty bugs on the constantly wet sirface insode. Best treatment would be to fill with weak bleach, leave for a bit, empty and rinse over and over and over until there's no bleach taste left - and a couple of extras just to be sure. Then, and this is important, leave it to dry out completely.

Nalgene bottles are a bit exy, but are light, and very safe to use. They are a plastic bottle and I'd still leave them to dry out completely every now and then, just to be sure!
FollowupID: 838705

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 18:39

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 18:39
We use empty Gatorade type plastic bottles. At least you can see how much is in them.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 552775

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 18:48

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 18:48
If they are empty wouldn't be much to see :)

Me too...they are very good, though have a few metal (stainless) ones as well for more important cargo such as port.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838456

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 08:42

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 08:42
As said before there have been many stories from both sides. Our daughter in law said "If you won't feed a baby with it then there must be something suspicious - why take the chance!. And didn't use google. Good girl. Get rid of it, use glass or toss it out after each use.

Greg! Port in a metal bottle. Shock horror. Either in a stone jar as I use or the original bottle. Never in a bladder either.

Took a 20 year old bottle of Brown Brothers Milawa to the CSR. Nice . . .

FollowupID: 838476

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:00

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:00
..sorry should have clarified..I typically only decant port out of its original container into stainless steel or plastic bottles when doing multi-day hikes. Glass or stone bottles would be somewhat cumbersome in your backpack. I should also point out that the port is for medicinal purposes only.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838478

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:07

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:07
But officer I have to partake of a dram now and then for my heart problems, cholesterol and cancer!!!! Yeah right!!

We only go by car - can't walk far and no hiking so we are at an advantage when it comes to carrying food and beverages.

Catchya

FollowupID: 838479

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 20:25

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 20:25
This grey film could be aluminium oxide. As Amanda said, throw them away and buy some stainless steel replacements.
I'm pretty sure aluminium in any quantity is not good for the human unit.

Just a thought

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 552777

Follow Up By: Louwai - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 08:21

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 08:21
The build-up of Aluminium Oxide & it's effects on us is the reason Aluminium cooking pots are no longer used.

These days you will be hard pushed to find any cooking impliments made of plain Aluminium.
Although the alloy (mixture of metals) that is used to manufacture Aluminium has progressed considerably with different combinations making far better quality metal.
There are several things such as sandswich presses & frying-pans that are fully coated with non-stick surfacing.

The Aluminium drink bottles are predominantly manufactured overseas in countries where the actual make-up of the alloy used to make the Aluminium, which in turn is used to make the bottles, is not scrutinised to the extent that it should be & so can be inferior.
FollowupID: 838475

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:10

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:10
What I've said to people is "There's a lot of iron or other vitamins that a Doctor will tell you that need more of but I doubt that you will ever hear them say you need more Aluminium in your diet".
FollowupID: 838482

Reply By: Hoyks - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 21:50

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 21:50
You can scrub it out, but it will just oxidise again when you put water that has any salt content in it again.

Some will say that aluminium is the devil, but that is based on research that found deposits of aluminium in the brains of people with Alzheimer. There is still debate as to cause or effect. Aluminium is 8% of the earths crust, so one would hope we evolved to tolerate some exposure.

As said above, buy a few Poweraid bottles and use them. As a drink they are expensive, but for a drink bottle they are cheap. They will also survive being left in a freezer, unlike my daughters aluminium Qantas Museum bottle that she forgot about. If you leave it behind, no great loss.
AnswerID: 552780

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 22:42

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2015 at 22:42
"Aluminium is 8% of the earths crust, so one would hope we evolved to tolerate some exposure."

Sunlight makes up nearly 100% of light we are exposed too..evolution has indeed had a crack at reducing potential impact but I wouldn't recommend over exposure to anyone in a general sense, though obviously some are better adapted than others...could be same for other things (and you may not be able to see the difference). No idea of real impact of aluminium but you could be right. Just food for thought.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838467

Reply By: tonysmc - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:45

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:45
I often watch a show on a pay TV site called “How things are made”. I was very surprise to see that the aluminium drink bottles are given some sort of plastic coating (inert polymer) on the inside. Ever since then I have never used them as I felt it defeated the purpose of using aluminium.
I would guess in your case the coating has degraded and this is why you can now taste metal and are getting the granule deposit. Stainless is the go.

Watch this video and note about 2.35 minutes into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Rnf_aKd-0

Tony
AnswerID: 552786

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:55

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:55
We use Nalgene water bottles. You can put boiling water in them or freeze them and they are BPA free, for those who are concerned about health.

See them here.

Virtually indestructible…

Ours is a personal choice and others may differ, but I would give aluminium drinking containers a wide berth...

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 552788

Reply By: Member - G.T. - Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 12:43

Saturday, Apr 25, 2015 at 12:43
Thanks to all who have replied. We think that we were a bit hopeful of finding a way to clean them. We have now thrown them out. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 552905

Sponsored Links