How difficult is doing the OTT without diff lockers

Afternoon all, a theoretical question with I hope real experience answers.

My 75 series naturally aspirated Troopy doesn't have diff lockers and just about every YouTube video of those travelling the OTT I've seen have lockers fitted (or so it seems). Apart from the distinct advantage of lockers how disadvantaged will I be without them?

My car is fitted with a winch and the other vehicle I'm travelling with has a winch mounted also.

A $4000 bill to have front and rear lockers fitted is a bill I'd prefer not to have if at all possible. But this may be money well spent if I end up doing damage to the vehicle without them?

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:01

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:01
Haven't heard of the OTT as yet. please enlighten.
AnswerID: 552800

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:07

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:07
Old Telegraph Track - Cape York

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838486

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:05

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:05
Not a hassle at all. Sons 100 IFS standard fit. Our 100 IFS with just a small lift. Other sons Patrol no lockers. All three with good rubber. Had trouble on one exit but tried again and straight up. Palm creek is supposed to be a bit hairy now. It was easy when we went. Just a steep entry. Could be interesting if travelling north to south.

The usual - low tyres and pick your way. Nolans was a deep and almost to the windows. A bit hairy but the good rubber and a steady throttle was the key.

He had to back down and try again with better wheel placement.

Palm Creek - Entering heading north. Easy - just steep.

AnswerID: 552801

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:17

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:17
I could just imagine if that was my Troopy in the Palm Creek crossing I think it may just about be lying on its side and that little muscle I sit on would be working overtime.

Thanks for the photos and comments.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838489

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:40

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:40
You would be surprised what these cars can do.

South of Cooktown, I believe the loop out to Mayfield, Jowalbinna and The Old Coach Road is worth a look.

If you have time use the Starckie Track from Cooktown north to Cape Melville and check the place out. You can then just cut across to the PDR via Lakefield NP to Musgrave Roadhouse.

If you are a veteran you may want to drop in to Pandanus Park Vietnam Veterans Retreat. It's not just for Vietnam vets.
FollowupID: 838493

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:35

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:35
Thanks for that. One of our side trip options is to Cape Melville and its environs.

No too young by a couple of years for the birthday lottery.

Cheers

Dunc.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838500

Reply By: G.B.T - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:56

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:56
There should be no major problem. In 2008 my standard 97 model 1HZ did it on skinny BFG AT tyres. With a winch and another vehicle as back up I can't see a difficulty.
Enjoy yourself Dunc.
Graeme.
AnswerID: 552805

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 17:38

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 17:38
I guess it varies from year to year and time of year but I didn't need to use my winch or lockers when I did it in 2009 nor did the other 4 vehicles with me
One was an unlocked Troopy

Then there would be times that you are looking for all the traction you can get!
AnswerID: 552807

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 17:39

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 17:39
Anyone who tells you that diff locks are a must have for the OTT has not got a clue , ,,
in Aug 08 nearing the end of a 6mth trip we found ourselves at Palm creek about to head up the track , long story short , found AFTER the Palm creek drop down that I had 'lost' the centre diff lock on the 80 series [ towing a C/T as well mind you] ,,, ergo the 80 was really nothing but a 2 wheel drive ,, yes we got stuck 3 - 4 times at different crossings but nothing a winch won't get you out of..
AnswerID: 552808

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 12:57

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 12:57
Yep you don't need lockers , but last July if you were there with ya broken 2wd 80series and a camper you would of been in all sorts of shyte ,
Things change 08 was a long time ago , there was big differences from 2010 to 2014 especially , Palm Ck and Gun Shot .
FollowupID: 838537

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 13:53

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 13:53
The photo of Palm creek a reply or two above is exactly what it looked like in 08 , everyone raves about Gunshot [ the difficulty ] , in 08 there were 3 ways out heading north , the very left was only able to to be done by single vehicles with 35s and lockers [a 5 /5 grade ] middle and right were a 3/5 and 2/5 grade respectively , not in any shyte at all .. that is if you know how to drive.
FollowupID: 838539

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:57

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:57
The photo of Palm Ck you refer to above looks like the original crossing we did in 2010 but when we got there in July last year the exit for that one was completely stuffed everyone had stopped using it .

There was alternative a little upstream that everyone was using , a lot of vehicles needed to be snatched up the last few meters of it .

I used the lockers in my Hilux and had no problems ,

Gunshot the 3 you mention are still there , I did the middle one , without any problems , I only have 225x75-16 tyres , I only saw one other vehicle use that one
All the others were using a 4th one just up stream a bit and the ruts were getting pretty deep ,

FollowupID: 838594

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:13

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:13
The OOT has changed a lot since I first went up it 76. Last year Palm Creek was about the hardest. After a bit of shovel work and dry sand/dirt on the track drove straight up.

Gave Nolan Brook a miss, not worth the risk of drowning the vehicle.

No winch but front diff lock.
AnswerID: 552811

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 21:58

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 21:58
Did nolans brook last year...very deep but awesome thrill to get through
FollowupID: 838508

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 23:22

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 23:22
I have done Nolans without a problem , but we camped there a watched the fun for a couple of days .
It's the sandy bottom that catches ppl out , 2 or 3 vehicles can drive through no probs but the sand can get stirred up and the next vehicle will get bogged and fill up with water , saw that happen a few times .

The older trucks would just get pulled out , open the doors , let the water out and off they would go . But late model cars with computers and all the electrical crap , they would be in all sorts of trouble .

The number of times I saw blokes do the right thing , set up snatch straps , have someone on the other side ready to pull em out , then run over the strap , wrap it around the front wheel , that sort of stuff up happened a few times .
FollowupID: 838513

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 15:20

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 15:20
A bit off topic but relevant. Re: Water ingress on the OTT and Nolans.

We had the left hand doors repaired not long ago. The idiotic panel beater did not repair or replace the plastic membrane inside the door. We got inches of water in through this torn membrane. When home I went back to them and they "fixed" it with masking tape (shock horror) and claimed that they couldn't get the plastic sheeting, spare part and glue. I couldn't be bothered with such ignorance and fixed it myself with mastic glue and plastic sheeting from Bunnings. Gooey and messy - but sealed.

It's taken a while but the panel beaters are now out of business. Strange . . . The word must have got around. Strange . . .
FollowupID: 838610

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:17

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:17
I have done the OTL twice , first was in June 2010 and last year in July , my Hilux had 2 x lockers , the lockers certainly made a difference but as you probably know Hilux's have not much ground clearance and not a lot of wheel travel .

Other vehicles in our group has lockers some didn't

You're Troopy if you have good tyres should be ok ,

Palm Creek had changed a lot in the 4 years , there was a 2nd crossing that wasn't there in 2010 , we had to snatch one vehicle in our group , a Colarado but like my Hilux bugger all clearance but didn't have lockers .

The rest of the OTL wasn't a problem but be very careful if you are going to do Nolans Brook , plenty had no problems but quite a few wrote their vehicles off , I did talk to a couple of ppl , their cars were getting a ride to Cairns on the Barge , really stuffed up their trip .

AnswerID: 552812

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:49

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:49
Thanks Jackolux, Nolans Brook is notorious for drownings and I'm well aware of the do's and don't. Fortunately I've done a number of deep water crossings so that should hold me in good stead. Trouble is the old Troopy isn't as water tight as a young one is so new door seals may well and truly be on the cards before we leave home.

Cheers

Dunc.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838503

Reply By: deserter - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:21

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:21
Don't get too carried away. I did it a few years back in a stock standard Prado. Its no big deal !!
AnswerID: 552813

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:25

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:25
Duncan the reality is during the dry tourist season there is usually about 2 to 3 KM's of 4x4 driving to the Cape via the OTT, the rest is just a long rough, corrugated & in places rutted road. Of course it's the same dozen or so creek crossings that you'll see all the difficult photo's of, many of which have alternate routes close by. So while a locker will make it easier to exit these steeper creeks the vast majority don't have them & many don't even have snorkels. Decent tyres & a good line will get you through using a spotter to direct in the tight spots. As the track does chop up at times you may need to drop tyre pressures a touch more or do a bit of shovelling.
I would however recommend lockers for those towing on the OTT.
Much of the real 4x4ing on the Cape is actually on tracks to either side of the OTT & which 99% of people don't even take.

Have a great trip. Cheers Craig.....

AnswerID: 552814

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:31

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:31
You can buy Lokka diff locks for the front of a troopy for $500. They are in my opinion the best 500 you'll spend on any 4wd. I'm not saying you need them for the OTL, but your vehicle will do it a whole lot easier with just the front auto locked and the rear LSD. Don't believe the crazy stories they tell you about auto lockers, the positives far outweigh the negatives of slightly heavier steering when in 4wd and a slightly larger turning circle in 4wd.
AnswerID: 552815

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:54

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:54
Rear LSD on a Troopy? Hahahaha! LOL
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 838494

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:02

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:02
True. I was desperately trying to keep it simple. Toyota lsd's and handbrakes - scotch bloody mist for too long.
FollowupID: 838496

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:39

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:39
gbc, the guy I'd be travelling with has the Lokka front and back. Loves the front one but says the back one takes a fair bit of getting used too.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838501

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 20:02

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 20:02
Yes, that'd be about my take as well. I had a front Lokka for a fair few years in a hilux and it transformed the car. Over 200 000 I put on it and I seriously haven't got a bad word to say about them. The rear I'd be wanting to look at a more expensive Detroit or an air locker if required. Just locking the front makes a great deal of difference and allows slower approaches with a more controlled drive which the narrow gutted troopies appreciate. I've had 2 sets of air lockers too and they can be a right headache in the maintenance department. Having said all that will will most certainly get more bang for your buck by locking the rear before the front but I'd still just do the front and see how it goes first.
FollowupID: 838505

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 20:20

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 20:20
I wouldn't bother spending the money on diff locks. In 50 years I have never needed one. Okay I have been held up, bogged and in need of some creative track building, but no need for diff locks. Even the winch was a waste of money up until now. Sorry I did use it a few times. For pulling bushes out of the garden. But I would still put one on the car as we travel solo. CSR, deserts, Balfour (Youtube "bxjiAAKkb-s" half way through) and soon Madigans - all solo.

But diff lockers - nah wouldn't bother unless you are into extreme stuff. Not for general touring.
FollowupID: 838506

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 23:06

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 23:06
Have to agree with gbc , I had a Lokka in the front of a Hilux a few years ago , 200k was always there always worked , transformed the Lux .
A mate had a idenctial Hilux with no Lokka , in the Vic Highcountry when the going got serious , you would think they were 2 completely different trucks .
The Hilux I have just got rid of had 2x Air Lockers ( oil leakers ) yep they had problems .
That's why I'm getting E-lockers fitted to the new Dmax .
FollowupID: 838511

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 23:14

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 23:14
It's your money. We live close to the high country and have been all over it. Not stopped yet. Even got up Mt Walker without going like a mad rabbit. Some did and some didn't. Now you tell what it was.

Cheers
FollowupID: 838512

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 00:22

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 00:22
Yep it's my money and I will spend it on a couple of lockers and a winch plus a heap of other gear , just coz I can
I will admit some 4x4's benefit more than others from lockers .
My Hilux was one it had bugger all wheel travel it would lift wheels really easy, it was next to useless without lockers .
I call most of the late model 4x4's , like my Hilux and new Dmax , soft roaders , they need all the help they can get .
Don't think I have been up Mt Walker , where is it?
vk1dx , what do you drive .
Regards Jacko
FollowupID: 838514

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 08:48

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 08:48
Hey. Don't get me wrong. I get a little excited some times but by all means do as you do. We don't go up into the high country much now. Our recent trips have been to desert areas like the Simpson and the CSR and WA. Next trip is a drive along the Madigan Line of camps. All of these have been solo. I took a group to the CSG 2014 and despite my requests and ramblings they did not get a good 4WD skilled mechanical inspection and all but one broke down before even the CSG. Simple things like exposed wiring and fuel lines and a bad brake line. You really have to be diligent when you do your own mechanics. They weren't.

We have a 100 series 4.2TD auto. It's pretty basic with front and rear bars a roof top tent and a spring and shocker upgrade and bigger rubber. And kitted out (roof top tent, fridges etc) for solo long remote trips. Photo isn't up to date - we have bigger rubber and an ARB front bar now.

Here is a video of Mt Walker. That's not us but it's a good one showing what it was like in 2013. It's a bit west of Lithgow, NSW in the Sunny Corner State Forrest:
FollowupID: 838516

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 09:17

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 09:17
And a perfect example of how a twin locked vehicle can play and slowly pick their way through more technical lines (on side tracks that unlocked vehicles don't drive) with barely an increase in engine revs.
FollowupID: 838519

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 09:33

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 09:33
I think that we have different aims with 4WD. We use it to go places not to climb rocks. I wouldn't go back there if you paid me.

While we did it without all that wheel in the air stuff, I don't want the car damaged so that it stuffs up in the middle of the desert or crossing Nolans on the OTT or doing the Balfour. Especially when there isn't anyone within earshot of anyone.

Have alook at this one. At about half way the water was lapping onto the windscreen. Just a steady unhurried drive and no hassles at all. Apart from about 100 mm of water in the car because the not closed panel beater didn't put the plastic membrane in the doors.

Have a good one.

[vimeo]Balfour track solo -[/vimeo]
FollowupID: 838520

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 09:57

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 09:57
Not at all, we probably do similar things. More traction is always better than less as it allows slower speeds and more control, and on trucks like troopies that like to cock a wheel they are of great assistance.
I like the look of those Tarkine tracks a whole lot. Tassie is definitely on my list. Have a great day.
FollowupID: 838522

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 12:50

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 12:50
Mt Walker sure is serious stuff , that Hilux would of had no hope without being locked or the larger tyres . I don't run oversize wheels/tyres , it might be good in the bush extra clearance , traction but on the road it stuffs up the gearing , uses more fuel , affects braking .

Those 2.4 Hilux are a slug standard the brakes are crap that Lux on the road would be worse than a slug ,

We have plenty of rocky tracks here in Vic but since the Bush Fires over the last few years a lot of $$$ has been spent upgrading improving tracks , given time they will revert to what they were before the fires .

My last 2 , 4x4's have been auto , a auto trans and locked diff's are like magic , I can come to a complete stop on the steepest , rockiest bit of track and just drive off , can't stall , no spinning wheels , really able to look after the truck and the track , like I said most of em now are soft roaders nowhere near as tough as a Cruiser or Patrol ,

Because I don't have the clearance of the bigger 4bys , I often have to pick a very different line to stay out of the ruts the blokes with the big wheels have made , without lockers I have no hope .

Since I have had lockers for a lot of years now the winch hardly ever gets used and when it does it usually to help someone else .

I don't go looking for really rugged tracks , like I did a few years ago , but if I'm confronted by really rugged stuff and I want to go there I can , not always , everything has it limits .

My 2-E-lockers will cost $3500 fitted , first time I really need em I will just smile .

I'm about to walk out the door to go and see how the bloke fitting them is going .
Come on down to Vic , we can go bush .

Regards Jacko
FollowupID: 838535

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 13:02

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 13:02
I must admit having the 100 series was a bit of an advantage. Also being a recovery mech with the Army for a few years helped. Drove heaps of good offroad stuff. Training and exams for my unlimited Army licence helped. That's one like my truck below. But I must leave this. We are a bit OT and risk getting jumped on. Cheers.

FollowupID: 838538

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:35

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:35
Hi Duncan,

Our Troopy had no lockers when we went up the OTT a while back. There was no major problem. Lockers won't help much on sand or mud. They come into their own where one wheel lifts off the ground, and that can happen climbing out of some of the crossings, but careful placement covers most of the issue.

Some problem is encountered with traction when climbing out of creeks, as those who went before have carried water up the climb making the track muddy and slippery. Even lockers will not help much in that case but your winch would. In point of fact, at most crossings there are spectators who will happily leap into action with a tow strap if you get into trouble. They love watching others cross and they love to help.

I do now have a rear locker, not for the Cape but for rocky ascents and tracks with washouts, but I don't have a winch. So if I were you, I would not spend cash on lockers just for the Cape
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552816

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:50

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:50
Duncan
I'll let you know in 3 months tome when I come back. We have a fairly standard Pajero, with good AT tyres and will have a snorkel fitted shortly. We will be a towing a heavy Kamper Trailer.
I'm not planning though on turning my vehicle into a submarine as I think you ultimately pay for getting mechanical and electrical bits wet, even if it takes 12 months , it will come back to bite and cost you.
So we'll probably take the bypass on Nolan's and Palm Ck
Our Pajero does have rear lockers, hoping to not have to use them though!

Mark
AnswerID: 552817

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:52

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 18:52
How desperate are you to do the OTT? You can take the bypass and just select bits of the OTT to try. We stayed at Eliot Falls and from there you can spend a fun afternoon doing 5 creeks - Sam, Cannibal, Mistake plus 1 out to thr Cypress log bridge
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552818

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:01

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:01
Whoops, hit submit by mistake. As we towed the van in my profile pic we zig zagged across the Cape using the bypass to access various creeks. Cockatoo was another great camping spot with an interesting zig zag needed to cross it. All the creeks are in Places with plenty of pix to show you conditions - conditions back in 2008 - I guess its time to go again - next year for us . eg. Telegraph Track - Sam Creek
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838495

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:45

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:45
Warrie we'll suck it and see it. If my wife comes then it will be with a hired CT which I might leave at Bramwell Stn and tent it from there.

No doubt there are also an awful lot more bypasses than the maps suggest these days.

Agree with your comment about not wrecking the vehicle and wrecking the holiday. Our vehicles need to do a 12,800km (without side trips), return trip back to Perth so I have no plans in causing damage.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838502

Reply By: Warren B - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:21

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:21
Hey jackolux, how's the new bus going ?

Cheers Warren
AnswerID: 552821

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 22:54

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 22:54
G'day Warren , yeah it's going ok , only have about 8.5k on it so far
Have given it a fair workout on some steep tracks the traction control worked a lot better than I originally thought it would .
But having said that it is away atm getting 2xE-lockers fitted plus Bar , winch , sliders and snorkel .
Regards Jacko
FollowupID: 838510

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 21:50

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 21:50
Here's a Great Wall soft roader doing it, I think it doesn't even have low range

Team Great Wall
AnswerID: 552824

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:38

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:38
Hi Michael watched the vids the other day. What's the electrical motor like sound I often heard especially when one of the wheels was lifted?

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838595

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 13:43

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 13:43
Sorry Duncan,

I don't know much about those cars. I found the video on youtube and thought it was quite amazing that he took the car into some of the places he did. It certainly came out a bit battle scarred though. :-) I think a troopy wouldn't have much trouble by comparison.

FollowupID: 838603

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 22:35

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 22:35
Up Gunshot 2009.
Open front diff, LSD rear diff, highway tyres. Close to 6T.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 552826

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 22:36

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 22:36
That is a video clip......
FollowupID: 838509

Reply By: bigden - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 15:33

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 15:33
we did the ott in 2013 in a great wall wagon, I don't think you will have any problems in your car
palm creek

click image upload

nolans brook

image upload free

the great wall is fitted with a locker but apart from palm creek exit it wasn't needed
AnswerID: 552839

Follow Up By: bigden - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 15:36

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 15:36
I forgot to add , you can view all my crossings if you search youtube for " telegraph track great wall otl"

in 2013 the original palm creek crossing was by far the hardest
FollowupID: 838544

Reply By: duck - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 16:52

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 16:52
been going to the cape for the last 45 years & when we 1st use to go no one had herd of a diff locker or a snorkel & it was a challenge & there was only one track & no chicken or by pass tracks but we made it & now it is easier to do sections with a diff locker I must admit, & some sections may even be a bit harder now then back then, pending if you where early or the first group for the season
But even now more 4x4 would do the old tele track without diff lockers than with & most will make it to the top & back without even looking like getting stuck anywhere.
Just have a look at how many backpackers buy a cheap 4x4 & do the cape with little or no experience (yes a lot should not)
Go have a great trip
AnswerID: 552846

Reply By: Omaa - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:23

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:23
In 2009 and 2012 we spent 2 nights beside Palm Creek just for the entertainment of watching vehicles having to get winched/ snatch strapped out either going north or south. There were on 3 vehicles form about 50 in 2012 which did not have to be pulled as apparently they had all the necessary stuff on their 2 patrols &one cruiser. Now all I can say it that remember our men commenting that those vehicles had mud tyres, & diff locks whatever they are etc etc. There are photos in my blog to see what I mean. We backtracked to Bramwell then come up the bypass roads.
AnswerID: 552880

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:40

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:40
Thanks Omaa. You'll need to post a follow-up with a link to your Blog so I can have a read.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 838597

Follow Up By: Omaa - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:09

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:09
https://bkmcl.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/2012-cape-trip-as-far-as-musgrave-telegraph-station/.
This is the beginning so follow on at the bottom of this post
FollowupID: 838598

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:42

Friday, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:42
Thanks to all that commented. I think I'll spend the $4k it would cost for ARB lockers on fuel as we've guestimated that it will cost in the vicinity of $6k in fuel, (at today's prices), to do the trip.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 552881

Sponsored Links