Kakadu National Park - A must read for visitors

As we head into to drier and cooler months in Northern Australia, the Territory will see an influx of adventurers, travellers, and visitors to the wonderful Kakadu National Park.

Described as a “living cultural landscape” Kakadu is situated to the south of Darwin and easily accessible in the touring season, but I’m sure it is a wonderful part of Australia that needs little introduction.

On our trip to the Western Deserts last year I spent a short period in Alice Springs and stumbled across a wonderful book titled “Gagudjuman” by Bill Neidjie, published by JB Books Australia in 2005.

Big Bill, or Kakadu Man as he was known, was a driving force in a decision to lease his people’s traditional lands, Kakadu, to the Australian Government so it could be managed as a wilderness area and resource to be shared by all Australians.

After establishing Kakadu as a National Park in 1979, Bill, who was the last surviving speaker of the Gaagudju language, returned to live and work in his homeland where he passed away in 2002. Today Kakadu continues to be governed by a board with a majority of indigenous Australians

This small book is beautifully presented in hardcover and has some splendid photographs reproduced within its covers, but importantly, it contains the words of Bill Neidjie where he writes,

“I give you this story”

I have read it through many times and I feel visitors to Kakadu will greatly enhance their experience of the area by reading the words of Bill, his story, prior to visiting.

You can find more details here…

Gagudjuman, by Bill Neidjie

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2015 at 22:26

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2015 at 22:26
G/Day Landy I have a signed copy from old man, that old man was my grandfather ( skin way ) and I see his son Jonathan often.

In fact Jonathan is the deputy chair on the board to which there are 9 representatives from the different clan groups.

I new old man from when I was a kid back in the 70's, he allowed me to get married on top of Ubirr in 2000, he couldn't walk back then so he didn't make it to the wedding but he met us at the boarder store and we had a chat just before we tied the knot.

His stories still linger through the Ubirr art site and so does his memory.
AnswerID: 553041

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2015 at 22:49

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2015 at 22:49
Hey Steve

You would be a lucky person to have known such a wise man, a leader of men, and to have grown up with him around.

I read his words regularly, every time I learn something new, a better insight!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 838792

Sponsored Links