Greasable Shackles - Worth it????

Submitted: Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:12
ThreadID: 11767 Views:13865 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All
Am considering a suspension up-grade to my 78 series 2001 Troopie. Have been looking at the Old Man Emu kit through an ARB stockist. My question is - do you think it's worth the extra expense of greasable shackles?? Some people I've spoken to that have greasable shackles have said that given the choice over again - they wouldn't bother. What think you all?

Usage is annual long tours, regular weekend jaunts and a reasonably heavy load on the springs permanently, let alone while away on a trip.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:17

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:17
Troopie,

I would buy them. I had one of the shackle brackets tear off the chasis on my old bus and I noticed the other had a hair line crack. After disassembling, the grease was very dry around the polyurethane bushes and it appeared they were binding. Since that point I was greasing them every 3mths and they were dry every time I pulled them appart. I reckon the dryness put extra stress on the shackle brackets hence the failure. If you have the greasable shackes it takes 5mins for a quick spurt and you will be on your way.

Leroy
AnswerID: 52953

Reply By: robb - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:19

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:19
I have OME suspension in my 2000 model Challenger, its quite good, but upon pricing OME suspension for my 60 series 'Cruiser, its just too expensive.. Shop around if you can... ARB quoted me a tad over 3 grand for 4 new springs and shocks with greasable shackles and new u bolts and bushes etc fitted... I got a price from a guy at Kirrawee for King Springs and Enforcer shocks with greasable shackles etc for $1700 fitted... Kinda makes you wonder about how much ARB's ad campaigns are subsidised by guys like you and I....
AnswerID: 52954

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:29

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 16:29
One thing to watch out for with greasable shackles , is the bolt being designed for the purpose and not a HT bolt , just drilled.

There are a few around.
AnswerID: 52959

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 17:26

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 17:26
Stick with the genuine product, it will give less trouble in the long run.
Also one less thing to service
Ray
AnswerID: 52965

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 21:27

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 21:27
Troopie,
All moving parts need lubrication, even shackles. There are two methiods of lubricating.
1. Pull the shackles apart and grease and then assemble
2. Pump grease in through grease nipple.
This should be done every oil change or more often if doing river crossing.
While you are under the vehicle a little grease in the uni's and tail shafts would not hurt.
Wayne
AnswerID: 52995

Reply By: Slammin - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 22:29

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 22:29
This is a question similar to a dilemma in the dirtbike world. The thing is grease attracts and holds sand and dirt so by greasing components that get dirty you are only creating a grinding paste, not much good for bushes or anything else for that matter!

For dirtbikes it's the drive chain, the theory was grease the bugger out of it and keep it well lubricated, now the pro's use only WD40 to keep water away and steer away from creating a grinding paste.

When I upgraded my suspension here in Central Oz on the Hilux all the reputable dealers recomended against greasable shackles because they chew out the bushes.
AnswerID: 53002

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 23:34

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 23:34
Funny you talkin about the bike chain thing, I rode bikes out the sand hills at Kurnell all my childhood, and we lubed our chains before and after every ride, if you run them 'dry' or with only crap lube they died too fast.. Its a rock and a hard place. Even when I was racing, I used to use 'Chainwax' was very good stuff, THICK as, and blue, you could see where it was, it did cobwebs!

"the pros use WD40"

The pros are also sponsored, and get that sort ofbleepfor cheap, it doesn't matter if they only last 2 events.. Most 'PRO's in competiton like Thumper Nats replace chains each meeting. so its not a real good thing to compare it to.

YMMV
FollowupID: 314790

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 06:30

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 06:30
Truckster those sand hills were great we used to ride bickes out there too. Not much sand now though.
I tell the kids how big they used to be and they dont beleive me.
I have greasable shackels on my 60 and they seem to work fine .

All the best
Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.con.au
FollowupID: 314802

Follow Up By: Slammin - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 23:15

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 23:15
Truckster no we're not talking about chains but you don't explain why the ARB, TJM, TOUGH DOG etc all recommend against them in this area.

As for the bike chains though the pro's I refer to are the sprocket manufacturors, workshops, local racers and about every national and international forum and dirtbike mag seem to agree. Also the chain wax is so thick now it doesn't even cobweb it just stays put, together with all the dirt and sand it attracts, eating away at softer components like x-rings exactly the same situation as polyurethane or rubber bushes according to all the suspension suppliers in Alice.

My point is only go by what your retailer recomends in your area and for your application. I wanted them but was heavily warned against them by the people who would've profited from them. I imagine lots of water crossings would be a very good application for greasable shackles.
FollowupID: 314864

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 09:32

Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 09:32
Your comparison between a motorbike chain and shackle pins is an interesting theory Slammin, but methinks that if you honestly believe it, you have been drinking too much of your bathwater or you would qualify for membership of the flat earth society.

It is a proven fact that lubrication reduces wear on moving parts and it also a proven fact that the grease in greasable shackles helps to prevent/reduce the ingress of water,dirt,grit etc.

I have been using greasable shackles in Cruisers for more than 20 years in all sorts of terrain and I have never had one fail or show excessive wear - I have seen a lot of non greasable shackles fail though.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 314874

Follow Up By: Slammin - Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 14:29

Sunday, Apr 04, 2004 at 14:29
Good on ya Diesel, put your glasses on.

Reread my post it's not my theroy it's the suppliers. You know - the guys who sell the things, not that their combined experience is anything compared to your 20 years in Cruisers.

The shackles don't fail the bushes wear excessively. In these conditions.

Derr, it's not rocket science, nuff said already.

Better still if you don't beleive me call the suppliers around here start at Elston's a TJM supplier on 08 8 8952 4420 (the guys who compared the chains to shackles originally) and argue the point with them and then call all the other suppliers in town like I did and get the same story.
FollowupID: 314889

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:42

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:42
Slammin,
About the only reasonable thing that you have stated is 'it's not rocket science' and I don't think you have to be real smart to work out that greasable shackles are the way to go no matter what the conditions.
Consider the following:
Movement causes friction.
Friction causes heat.
Most bushes don't like heat, especially polyurethane.
Lubrication reduces friction and therefore reduces heat.

Diesel 1

FollowupID: 314948

Follow Up By: Slammin - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:20

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:20
Diesel get your ego out of the way of your view and reread my post c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y.

I already said in some applications I think greasable shackles would be good. They don't make them for no reason.

Again I will state my perfectly reasonable explanation.

My dealers not one but all in this area, the people who sell and fit these things, read this s-l-o-w-l-y DEALERS not me said they are not ideal in this area, Alice and surrounds.

IMHO I take their professional opinion a lot more seriously than your - "I'm smarter, no matter what the conditions, amateur rubbish."

Guess what Diesel? some people disagree with your generalisations - and from what I have read, that is why Troopie posted this thread.

last post.

whatever
FollowupID: 314976

Follow Up By: Diesel 1 - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:46

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:46
You've really got yourself worked up over this Slammin. I accept that others will disagree with my opinions and I don't give a damn if they do or they don't.

I base my opinion of greasable shackles on 20 years of using them along with 30 years as a diesel mechanic with extensive experience with Toyota in both the rural & mining industries here in the Territory and SA.

What you have to realize when contributing your views on any forum is that there are people like me that will disagree with you - being a fellow Territorian, I would have thought that you could handle the flak a bit better than you have.

Diesel 1
FollowupID: 315042

Reply By: Troopie - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:13

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:13
G'day Again All
Many thanks for all the comments. Seems this is a contentious issue for some.

I had one other bloke tell me that over-greasing the shackles can be a problem that helps attract and hold muck in the shackle. Perhaps the home servicable nature of greasable shackles leads to this excess greasing. The place trying to sell me them reckons they really only need greasing every service.

Given the first real trip this suspension set up will see is a jaunt up the Canning and the Kimberly - I hope I make the right choice....

Hmmmm - what to do?

Cheers
AnswerID: 53218

Follow Up By: Slammin - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 14:50

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 14:50
Yeh Troopie issues like this become contentious because if someone's view differs from theirs then of course they are wrong and they must be drinking bathwater :-)

As to what to do, speak to reputable dealers of the major brands and see what they recomend for your area and application, if they all say the same thing then you've got a pretty good base on whch to make your decisions.

FollowupID: 314973

Follow Up By: G.T. - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:21

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:21
When greasing shackle pins the correct way to do this in my opinion is to pump enough grease through until fresh grease appears at the other end of the shackle assy. This will tell you that you have replaced all the old grease inside the shackle pin and spring eye with fresh grease. Also this will expell most / all? foreign matter such as dirt etc etc. Depending on where you are driving would dictate how often you perform this , common sense would tell you just how often. Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 315066

Sponsored Links