Advice for loading roofrack?

Submitted: Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 19:17
ThreadID: 11772 Views:1885 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, heading off at Easter with the whole gang, hence the new ARB roofrack, I have never used one of these before, it says it is rated for 150kgs, all the gear I plan to put on rack comes in at 140kgs, any advice, tips on stowing and how driving is affected would be greatly appreciated.

Have a safe Easter all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 20:38

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 20:38
Wanger,

As I reply to your question I feel I must state at the outset that I hate roof racks. I understand why people use them but I won't. I have had two near misses directly attributable to the excess weight on the roof. I have used them extensively in the past and so i write with some experience to back me up.

I'll start wiht the last part of the ? Open the luggage space of the car and climb in. Now move from side to side as violently as you can and note how the car moves on the suspension. Now climb on the roof rack and do the same. Feel the difference. Now try to imagine driving through your favourite corners with you on the roof. This will give you some idea how the load will affect driving.

Now for loading. Buy a good quality poly tarp that will completely wrap your load. Lay this in the tray of the roofrack and load you gear into it. Fold in the back tehn teh sides and finally pull the front over the top and tuck inany loose corners. Hold it in place with one of those elastic nets and then tie it down with some good ropes or tie downs rated to carry the full load. Should keep everything clean and dry.

Finally, pray that it is not raining when you get to the camp site, cos if it is you are going to get a very wet tail.

Hope you have a great Easter
Duncs

AnswerID: 52984

Follow Up By: Wanger - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 21:02

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 21:02
Thanks Duncs,

I noticed the difference in cornering when I drove home after having roof rack fitted, so with the extra weight on I will be taking it very easy, I have a three hour drive to pick up a boat and then continue on for another 3 hours, when I pick up boat I will transfer the stuff on roofrack into boat for easy cruising, is having 140kgs up on top considered excessive ?

Thanks
FollowupID: 314754

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 21:25

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 21:25
Wanger,
I'm the same as Duncs, I'm not keen on roof racks the C of G rises quite significantly especially if you've also lifted the vehicle and have harder springs etc. I have a rack sack which for me when I've used the roof rack has worked very well, there has been posts saying they are a waste of time but if packed correctly my experiences have only been good ones. I only bought a half rack, if you buy a full rack you will fill it, the less I can fit up there the better. The rack sack is easy to work with dust proof and doesn't require loads of ropes etc. personally I think it's great and wouldn't use anything else.
140 kilos is a lot, especially if you will be doing a lot of rough road stuff your gutters will take a battering and it would be advisable to check the holding down bolts tightness regularly. Just cause the roof rack is good for 150 kilo you don't have to put a 150 kilo up there. Hope you have a good & safe trip at Easter with the gang.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 52994

Follow Up By: Wanger - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 22:08

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 22:08
Leaving Melbourne for Merrimbula and picking boat up at Bairnsdale so there is no rough stuff on this trip, the road to Bairnsdale isn't a bad run and all the gear will be in boat for the winding road around Orbost, thanks for your thoughts on this.

Have a great Easter yourself
FollowupID: 314761

Reply By: Allfour4x4 - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 22:39

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 22:39
Wanger,
That name is dangerously close to something else :-)
Don't forget if you want to stay legal (Insurance wise), check the load rating of your 4b's roof capacity, bet it's not 150kg's!
Glenn B.
AnswerID: 53003

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 22:48

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 22:48
I'll third the dislike for them, also the cost of them for what they are...

You could buy a good second hand offroad box trailer, that has many more uses - then again I dislike trailers too..

Sold my roofrack to someoene from here, they are like a parachute... Take it off when not needed, then you will see how often your $800 investment is actually used...

YMMV
AnswerID: 53005

Reply By: Brian - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 23:03

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 23:03
Wanger
When packing the roof rack place all the heavist items in the vehicle,
Lighter Bulky stuff like swags Etc in the rack.
The lighter the rack is the better off you are!

Brian
AnswerID: 53010

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 23:05

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 23:05
Wanger,

The posters above are right about the rated capacity of the roof (as opposed to the rack). On the Prado for example, Toyota says max of 100kg roof load. This also includes the rack itself so I would be checking it out for ypur vehicle before whacking 140kg of stuff up there in addition to the rack!!

Best of Luck

Steven
AnswerID: 53012

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 04:31

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 04:31
Am pretty sure that the legal limit is 120 kg and that is inclusive of the roof rack !!!
AnswerID: 53022

Reply By: Glenno - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 10:54

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 10:54
Wanger,

I think its a bit dangerous to say you will drive carefully with it fully loaded. We had a di**head come down the pacific highway on our side of the road. Thankfully I swerved off the highway and missed him, but if I would have had more than a swag on the roof racks there would have been no way I could have kept the car upright.

My word of advise is pack your rack to be able to potentially handle the worst situations. I trust my self to drive carefully but not the other clowns that get their license.

Cheers,

Glenno.
AnswerID: 53042

Reply By: navaraman - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:20

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:20
I need to carry ladders for work so a roof rack is a necessary evil for me. I take the ladders off every weekend and the difference in handling, fuel consumption and noise is unbelievable. Having a ute storage is not a big issue for me but I wouldn't carry anything other than swags on the roof if space was tight. Even with swags the weight isn't a huge issue but the extra wind resistance is a problem.
AnswerID: 53049

Reply By: Cobra - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:51

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:51
Before you load the rack, check what weight you can put on the gutters. My GU has a 150kg capacity, the rack weighs 50kg therefore I can only carry a maximum of 100kg on the rack.
AnswerID: 53054

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 19:49

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 19:49
I just put some rhino sportz bars and a basket on my roof (the basket only goes on when we travel). It is fantastic, surprisingly quiet, didn't notice much difference in fuel eceonomy. I had two tents (1 big, 1 small) 2 air matresses, a bag of winter clothes (as we though we would not need them but just in case!) 3 foldup chairs and a tarp covering it all up. Hardly notice a difference on the sand with our beech/dune driving and other than a tiny amount of wind noise wouldn't have even known it was up there. But the amount of space in the back made life SO EASY. Making lunch without juggling chairs and bags around.
But on the other side we have one on our work van with 3 ladders and some PVC pipe, it's a full length aliminium jobby, it's noisey, it gussels juice and the friggin van changes lanes in the wind. I spose the etra weight of the 4by helps a bit, and keeping the load "shaped" so the wind blows over it instead of smacking into it makes a difference too.
AnswerID: 53292

Sponsored Links