Storing an innerspring mattress in a camper trailer.

Submitted: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 14:01
ThreadID: 117739 Views:5776 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have just bought ourselves a camper trailer and need to purchase a mattress.
I've been to bedding places and they say that we cannot store the mattress in the camper trailer while its stored or the mattress will go mouldy. The camper trailer manufacturers say that it will be fine to store in the trailer.
Does anyone have any opinions on what mattress to buy and if they go mouldy.
Thank you :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter&Lynore- Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 14:37

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 14:37
Hi Jamie and Blake. We had a thick foam mattress (came with camper) it was comfortable and had no trouble with mould during the 6 years we had our camper
AnswerID: 553343

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 15:00

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 15:00
Jamie & Blake
Got an innerspring in my camper, and been there for 4 years can't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to place any kind you want in your camper, all personal choice.
As far as mould goes, to my reckoning as long as camper is folded and stored when completely dry, there should be no reason for mould.
That is of course if protective cover has unseen holes for moisture to penetrate, then maybe an issue.
Enjoy your purchase.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 553344

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 15:01

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 15:01
We have a innerspring mattress in our camper with no mould problems, however, some do get mould due to condensation forming under the mattress when sleeping on it.

To prevent mould,

1. Make sure bedding has been aired out and dry after use before storing.
2. You can use this under mattress to stop condensationhttp://www.hyperventmarine.com/
Its $145 per meter and works.
AnswerID: 553345

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 03:30

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 03:30
DITTO to comment above especially 'point'1
Cheers
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 839199

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 09:52

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 09:52
We put a sheet of heavy duty (thick) shade cloth under our mattress (foam).
Cheaper.

Have done for years. No wet condensation after that.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 839209

Reply By: muzbry - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 15:12

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 15:12
Gday
I have had an inner spring matress in my camper for 13 yrs and so far no mould.
We usually give everything a good airing after a trip .
AnswerID: 553347

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 15:39

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 15:39
Hi Jamie and Blake
It's possible the bedding places know nothing about camper trailers and they are probably very nervous about promising everything will be fine when they don't really know.

We had an innerspring mattress in our camper trailer for years without any trouble. We enhanced its comfort by putting a lambskin cover on it - but then we try to be as comfortable as possible.

My advice is to buy a mattress that fits and is comfortable and that is light enough to lift if you need to do that to reach a storage compartment.

Maybe it'd be best not to ask the salesperson about its suitability for a camper trailer.

All the best.
Megan
AnswerID: 553351

Reply By: birdnerd - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 17:08

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 17:08
Hi Jamie & Blake,
Can't help with inner spring but we have had our high density foam mattress which came with our camper (and was really comfy, we like it better than inner spring) always stored in the camper trailer with no mould issues at all, about 4 years.
Amanda
AnswerID: 553354

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 17:23

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 17:23
Jamie and Blake
For our previous CT we bought an inner spring one from a Qld mattress manufacturer we saw advertising in one of the Camper trailer Mags (or caravans). They commented that they put air vents (which they did, brass grommets with gauze across) to assist with air circulation. Perhaps it does depend on the type of inner spring mattress

Mark
AnswerID: 553355

Follow Up By: Member - mike g2 - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 19:10

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 at 19:10
Good idea -modify any i/s mattress with your own grommet holes, also most new innerspring come in a large plastic bag- keep the bag for putting mattress back into when in store ? uncertain if this would make it 'sweat'. in contrast, foam by nature would have a habit of being hygroscopic ( adsorbs and stores moisture) . I/Spring matress is largely hollow ( springs etc..)inside, therefore less likely to adsorb and hold moisture.
if camper Trlr is fairly weather proof, should be ok unless you've gotten a lot of condensation into it during use or a long store period.
good luck
MG.
FollowupID: 839187

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 10:15

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 10:15
We replaced the thin foam mattress in our Jayco Penguin shortly after we bought it with a custom-made innerspring (because of the size of the bed base, it had to be specially made). That was 6-7 years ago and we've had no mould problems (mind you, Canberra is an Alpine desert!). We always air the van after use and make sure everything is dry before dropping the roof. I also leave the roof up about 1cm so that I can gain access through the van door without having to raise the roof every time; this also means there is a bit more airflow in the space between the door and the roof (the bag awning stops any rain entering). We have one of those eggcarton foam things on top of the mattress which adds to comfort.
AnswerID: 553375

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 17:04

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 17:04
I am a fan of Hypervent Marine stuff.
I have had it under a few different generations of foam beds for 8 years now and never had a damp mattress even after 4 months on the road. At first the mattress without the Hypervent was wet every morning.
My camper trailer 97 Campomatic hard floor is stored on the street with a polytarp over and no mould ever.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 553384

Sponsored Links