Creb or Bloomfield Tracks

We are heading to Cape York in June/July as part of our Oz trip. We have decided to unhitch the caravan and go up to the tip and camp in a tent rather than damage our caravan.
My question is how difficult are the Creb and Bloomfield tracks. I know people say very difficult. But some do take some poetic license at times.
We have a 200 series with a 45mm lift,Cooper AT3's. We don't have a winch or lockers. I have done mostly sand driving and only limited high country/track driving. I certainly don't want to take any risks as we have our two children with us. if its to harsh well not take any chances at all. Thanks in advance. Any comments would be good.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wholehog- Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 21:48

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 21:48
Mate..settle down..dismiss the crap big stories you have heard and have a nice easy drive. Unless its been raining ...its a lazy arvo drive.
AnswerID: 553391

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 22:02

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 at 22:02

The Bloomfield is half tar and have dirt road. A couple of major creeks have bridges over them ans so has the Bloomfield River, its now designated an all year round road for 4WD's, it may get closed should there be a Cyclone (trees down) or excessive rain. Cowie Point is the worst section which is steep and can get slippy.

The CREB should be open by June this year, if it rains with in a week of when you want to drive it... don't.
It is not a hard drive, but as you said you have limited experience it would be good to tag along with someone, just in case.

Your vehicle and set up will be fine for the CREB in the dry.

Good luck
AnswerID: 553394

Reply By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 07:38

Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 07:38
We did the Bloomfield track in 2007 with a 4.2TD patrol and an Aussie swag camper, no problems at all, great experience.
We will be going to the cape this year again with a LC 200 and a new age 17 series off roader. Will leave van at Bramwell junction and do the OTL to Elliot falls, tenting for a couple of days , then will go back and bring up up to Elliot falls on the southern bypass, stay for another few days while we drive up and back to Nolans and explore the area, then tow the van on the northern bypass to the tip.
Our LC 200 is stock standard, just changed tyres to BF Googrich AT's.
Just drive carefully and watch out for the travellers who are on very short time frames and travell like idiots.
I want to take our van up the Bloomfield track but the misses is not to happy about it. Will make a decision when we get there. Will also check the creb track, don't know much about this one.
Have a great time, Hugh
AnswerID: 553406

Reply By: 322 - Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 13:05

Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 13:05
We'll probably have a crack at one of them then. I would lime to know which is the more scenic way. I would like to have some nice view points along the way.
AnswerID: 553416

Follow Up By: Member - TonyV - Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 14:46

Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 14:46
Bloomfield has more views, once past Cape Tribulation the dirt starts then a couple of shallow water crossings, The problem with RainForest is that its basically jungle, so long distance views on the CREB are limited.

Either way you should visit Wujal Wujal falls. at the north end of the Bloomfield Track. This can be accessed off the BREB by turning right and into Wujal Wujal.

Roaring Meg is just after the gates on the CREB but also accessible if you turn left towards the CREB after Wujal Wujal.

Try and spend some time there, its a bookable camp spot, there's a 2 km walk down to Roaring Meg as well as the beach spot upstream. Drop toilet a Table and little else.
FollowupID: 839248

Follow Up By: Craig M1 - Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 23:46

Thursday, May 07, 2015 at 23:46
Hi , we did the Bloomfield in 2012 in a stock standard LC200 with MT tyres towing a Kimberly Kamper trailer. No problems at all.
Litchfield park is well worth stay.
Take the old telegraph bypass track unless you love challenges and want to damage your car. However It's worth going into a few creek crossings to watch how the professionals do it.

Regard Craig
FollowupID: 839276

Follow Up By: kym111 - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 21:25

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 21:25
There are easy options for the creek crossings on the Tele track. We did these instead, and didn't sustain any damage, except for a few chips to the paint as we snagged a pole that had been bent over too close to the track, towards the end of the southern section.
FollowupID: 839551

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Friday, May 08, 2015 at 18:19

Friday, May 08, 2015 at 18:19
Bloomfield is a doddle when dry, I reckon you could do it in a 2WD.

I haven't done the CREB, and personally I wouldn't be keen to try it on my own, especially without a winch. Having said that, from all reports if it is good and dry then it shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck whatever you choose to do. Beautiful part of the world.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 553446

Reply By: kym111 - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 21:23

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 21:23
We have a 4.2 TD 2005 Nissan Patrol, with Mickey Thompson MTZs. We did this in September 2013 - Bloomfield Track from Cooktown (just be careful on the bends, as the locals come zooming along and like their road). We saw a few 2wd vehicles on this road. I don't believe it's worthy of the term 'track'. We did the CREB on the way back to Cooktown. You have the option to take the easy way out to the right if you are heading north, and therefore miss the exciting bits. We had a winch (no lockers) and didn't use it. However it was pretty dry. The biggest challenge was Big Red, we 'walked' very slowly down this one (I can email you a pic if you wish - kym111@bigpond.net.au). Once you're over Big Red, you're pretty much half way, and it's a walk in the park from there.
We took our Sunland off-roader van to Weipa and left it in storage at the caravan park, then tented the Cape from there, for a week. Go via Eddy's Camp at Hopevale, it's a beautiful spot! Another great spot is Chilli Beach on the east coast of the Cape.
Cheers, and good luck! It's a great way to see Australia!
Regards
Kym
AnswerID: 553660

Sponsored Links