cheap tablet for a GPS

Just wondering what tablets you use and what to look for when shopping for a GPS tablet.

So far I have come across these 2 tablets:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0 $129
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite VE 7.0 $149

The only difference is the VE is a year newer.
Would either of these tablets be suitable?

Cheers,
Troy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 23:14

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 23:14
Hi Troy.

That would do the job if you are talking about an OziExplorer set-up. A few in our 4WD Club have been going for the Galaxy Tab 4 (8.0, Wi-Fi) which is a bit bigger, but pricier at $270.

Your option has capacity to take on Ozi for Android, it's GPS capable, and you can WiFi it if you've got accesses for that. It can take up to a 32GB micro SD card so you can stick a lot of maps on to that; most punters would get away with a 8GB card.

Cheers.

J.

AnswerID: 553667

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 08:26

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 08:26
Hi Troy,
I can't comment on those units but I have the 8" version and find it fantastic.
I have brought cheaper chinese tablets before and find that they are no good in daylight.
The Samsung performs brilliantly.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 553677

Reply By: Member - WBS - Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 08:48

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 08:48
Troy,
I don't know exactly what the specs are for the tablets you mentioned.

Apart from the obvious, such as making sure the tablet has an inbuilt GPS (Ipad without the 3g or 4g options don't) and the quality of the screen display, the most important thing in my mind is the storage capacity. I think a tablet should have capability to accept a micro SD card so you can store your maps (Ipads don't have this capability). A fast processor also helps with moving maps.

The next thing to consider is the app you plan to use. In my opinion, you cannot get better than OziExplorer. Unfortunately, they do not have an app for the iPad. I've tried using Memory Map and Mud Map but for flexibility and functionality I always end up back with OziExplorer.

A further thing to consider is what types of maps you plan to use. In my opinion the best two maps nation wide are EOTopo200 and Hema maps. There are others but these two seem to be the best. Here, I'll give the EOTopo a plug. EOTopo is still being fine tuned but as it now stands (version 2015.1) it is in most ways superior to the old NATMAP 2008 maps it comes from.

I run a couple of GPS setups. My first one is a Windows CE based 7" GPS that refuses to die. The second is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on which I run Ozi for Android. I bought this in anticipation of the demise of my first GPS. I'm still waiting. In hindsight, a 7" version of the tablet is better suited for a dashboard.

It may sound like I'm biased against iPad. Not true! I own an iPad and am seriously considering getting the Hema app for it.

These are just my opinions. Others will have different and probably better points of view. Your dilemma will be to chose which way you want to go. Its all part of the fun and part of the journey.
WBS

AnswerID: 553679

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 16:34

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 16:34
"I think a tablet should have capability to accept a micro SD card so you can store your maps (Ipads don't have this capability)."

Hi

You can however get external storage devices for Ipads (etc) e.g.

Sandisc make similar gadgets (and others at a guess).

No idea if they can be used to access maps via installed apps though, given Apples fixation with restricting what you can and cant do with information you own. Plus you cant charge device when external storage device attached.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 839592

Follow Up By: Member - WBS - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 18:56

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 18:56
Thanks Greg,
I didn't know such a device existed. My iPad has 128GB on board so I shouldn't have too much trouble, at least for a while but its good to know. I'll have to start doing a bit of research on this topic.

I live in hope that one day, maybe, there will be a OziExplorer App for iPad! I'm not optimistic, just hopeful.

WBS
FollowupID: 839641

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 19:10

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 19:10
"Necessity is the mother of invention" :)

RE: Ozi for iOS - dont hold your Breath

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839643

Reply By: Lostkiwi - Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 08:54

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 08:54
Troy,

Not familiar with android at all but Toshiba WT-8 runs with Windows 8 and has a very good GPS built in. Oziexplorer runs very well on this. There's also a 10" model.
AnswerID: 553680

Reply By: Puds22 - Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 20:48

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 20:48
Thanks for all of your inputs guys.

Just another question, is there any reason why you prefer to run oziexplorer over HEMA explorer on Android?
AnswerID: 553713

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 21:05

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 21:05
Hi

To be 100% honest suspect most like the fact that you can use your existing Ozi compatible maps from PC/CE Ozi version software plus you have the option to scan your own or use other free/commercially available products. There are hundreds of thousands of existing Ozi users out there.

You can't use any of your existing maps in HEMA Explorer (even ones previously purchased from Hema for other software AFAIK) which would put many people off. I have several thousand maps/airphotos which wont work in Hema Explorer but do in Ozi Android.

HEMA Explorer is a great product but maps (AFAIK) are limited to what they decide you should use (i.e. purchased through the App e.g Hema map products + free low res sat images (downloaded via app)) - fine if they suit your needs..so choosing Hema Explorer would be a good choice for some..but for others not so.. unless you like map apps :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839613

Reply By: DesF - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 17:17

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 17:17
If you have a Garmin GPS , you need a widows tablet as Mapsource won't run on Android, I have just bought a Leader 10 HD with Windows 8.1. $299.00 with a keyboard and the Garmin Nuvi 760 & Etrex 30 work great.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 553732

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 18:12

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 18:12
Hi Des

We are talking Android tablets with inbuilt GPS here so no need for external GPS of any type and certainly no need for Mapsource. Lots of people these days are using Tablets/Ipads as large screen GPS units in their car.

Straying slightly OT would recommend you have a go at Basecamp instead of Mapsource (a discontinued Garmin product) ...have a look HERE

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839640

Follow Up By: DesF - Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 19:06

Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 19:06
Thanks for that, I do have Basecamp, but we mainly use the GPS for geocaching ( Etrex) and the Nuvi for navigation, we use Garmin Topo for all our off road trips ,
My Android tablet Samsung Tab 4 will not recognise the Garmins.
Mate has the Sygic Nav App ( Paid ) which is pretty good as it works offline.
Cheers Des,
FollowupID: 839642

Sponsored Links