CD player in early model

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:22
ThreadID: 11785 Views:1551 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I purchased a CD player from Super Cheap thinking I could disconnect the wires from the back of the existing radio(stock) in an early 80s model vehicle and figure out the installation for myself. Somebody at work has just informend me this is a nightmare as my old vehicle shuts off the power completely and the wiring is obselete for these new CD players.
Can I connect it somehow just so it plays a CD and not worry about it keeping information in the memory?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Don (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:40

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:40
Wizzard,
Have you tried to buy a wiring harness for the make of cd player and the make of your vehicle from Super chaep or Repco.Failing that the CD player requires a positive and a negative,a constant 12V For memory maybe a wire for a electric antenna and the speaker wires.Are you handy with a multi meter if so it wont be that hard. If not try for the harness, they can be a real lifesaver.I hope this helps.
Good luck
AnswerID: 53034

Reply By: Jimmy - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 10:05

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 10:05
Hey Wizzard
If your vehicle does not have a permanent + wire to your stereo you can still use the unit only the time settings and station settings will be lost each time you turn off the ignition. Stereos have two + wires, one on all the time and one switched. On the back of your stereo it will tell you which colour to connect to the switched + and which to connect to the unswitched +. Just leave to non switched wire disconnected and taped off. Failing that run a wire from the fuse box to your stereo just make sure it is fused. There will most likely be a wire for an electric antenna, tape that off too.

I just bought a CD player from Super Cheap $49 if thats the same one as you bought, take it back straight away and buy a better one if the CD part is important to you. It is absolute crap!! The radio is pretty good which is all I really needed

Jim

AnswerID: 53035

Reply By: Glenno - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:09

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:09
My Neighbour purchased a Supercheap CD player and they gave him a wiring harness which they keep under the front counter. One end of the harness they gave him was crimped and you could just push the crimped wires into the original harness that came with the car. Quite a neat method i thought. Pity the player is crap and jumps when you drive over a manhole cover on the road etc.

It also made it much easier having a wiring diagram of your car then you know what colour wires on the original harness do what.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 53047

Follow Up By: wizzard - Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 14:53

Saturday, Apr 03, 2004 at 14:53
Cheers Thx guys
FollowupID: 314836

Sponsored Links