Colorado owners check your oil

Submitted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 17:57
ThreadID: 117873 Views:6316 Replies:5 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I was speaking to my mate, a local mechanic and he noticed that the last two customers with near new Colorado's that came in were off the dipstick. Being the responsible fella that he is, called the other 6 owners that he knew (not all customers) and had them check. The result was that 5 were off the dipstick and one that had only done 3,000km since service was just on the bottom below the low mark.
Now knowing this I would like to put it out there that there may be an issue and I urge all owners to go and check their oil level.
All 8 of these owners are going to take it up with their dealers for possible warranty claims.
There may be more info on other specific forums but I have been too busy to look.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 18:36

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 18:36
Many owners have reported high oil usage. The dealers are telling them its normal. No wonder people hate dealers. All engines use oil but not at some of the rates reported by different owners. 3 liters in 15,000k is a joke. I have a new Pajero with 6000klms and has not used a drop of oil.

You can bet your life holden are aware of the issue but will never admit it. Thieving bas$#@&%$$##...
AnswerID: 553840

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 18:54

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 18:54
Lol Big Fish !,..The last time i criticised a dealer i got howled out of this place!, Theres nothing better than to do a long trip and have your engine use no oil, It puts a dent in your confidence when they do.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 839720

Follow Up By: Slow one - Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 19:35

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 19:35
Axle, sometimes we have to wait and see what transpires. I can remember you laughing about the BT50/PX ranger chain driven oil pumps even though all the high performance jap bikes have been using chains to drive the oil pumps for years and they do rev just a little wee bit higher than a diesel. Mine doesn't use oil and it doesn't blow up when the oil is changed.

Toyota have had the problem and Holden should be given the chance to do what toyota did.

Nothing wrong with bringing the issue to light but the internet can breed many exaggerations and half truths.
FollowupID: 839722

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 20:04

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 20:04
Axle
you got howled at because your complaint was unfounded and ridiculous. It was just plain dealer bashing.

Alan
FollowupID: 839724

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:28

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:28
Alan not sure what your on about?,..If it was the 100s timing belt issue, then it was not unfounded and ridiculous!,as it looks like the b/inlaw is getting reimbursed for most of the damage from the Toyota dealer he dealt with, They only put a belt on it when it was due for a full kit, They have admitted the mistake.

Have a good day

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 839745

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:59

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 11:59
Dealers that is, Just had a phone call from a mate that's totally p@#@#@ off with a Toyo dealer that sold him a landcruiser 100s about a 18mths ago. The vehicle had 230,000ks on it and they replaced the timing belt before putting it on the lot for sale.

Now that's a fair bit over as 150,000 is the belt change interval, but at least they recognised that. The vehicle has performed with out a glitch for the last 60,000ks and has been doing a lot of caravan towing , until yesterday when it came to a sudden stop on the highway . The timing belt broke due to a tensioner failure causing mass destruction internally of the(1HDFTE).....It appears they just wacked a belt on it and left the rest of the hardware!....Very poor effort from a Toyota dealer here I feel.

Axle above is what you originally posted, and yes you did bag out the dealer, your other post above proves you did so without all the facts.

One of the facts you missed with your premature post was that they ( the dealer ) accepted liability.

The other is that they are willing to repair the car.

Now that you have all the facts and had you waited to see the outcome, your original post may have been very different to the one you posted.

Just sayin.

As for the Colorado issue I have no comment.
FollowupID: 839747

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 12:14

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 12:14
Don't forget 60000 kms in 18 mths towing. That's a lot of work, and in that time at least 6 services, so why didn't whoever servicing it pick up an issue. They weren't to blame were they.
FollowupID: 839749

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 16:53

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 16:53
Steve,..They deserved to be bagged out ,the amount of stress they created from poor workmanship, and it was only a phone call from the right people that changed their mind in regard to liability.

Alan, you cant see inside a motor?

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 839766

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 18:54

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 18:54
My point is Axle, that if you or anyone bagged my business as a third party on this forum without so much as a reply from me, I would have a law suit against you/them and the owners of this site the next day.

You need to be careful with what you say, because if the dealership you bad mouthed on this forum decided to go you, you would be up that creek without a paddle because you were a third party bad mouthing a company without the knowledge of an outcome regardless of the companies decision because.

A: They hadn't made a decision.

B: It was none of your business to bad mouth them openly on an open forum without all the facts.

You may have all the best intentions for your mate, but at the end of the day, your mate might come off second best if someone let the dealer know what you had said about them on this forum without the facts.

Just sayin.

FollowupID: 839772

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 20:00

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 20:00
Axle,

Your mate bought a high mileage secondhand car and then proceeded to work it hard and put a lot of mileage in short time on it.
At some point he has to at least suck it up a bit instead on trying to blame others. That's the risk of buying secondhand. To paraphrase bantam, if you want a new car reliability, you got to buy a new car.

Alan
FollowupID: 839778

Reply By: swampfox - Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 18:57

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 18:57
hi
Demand an oil consumption test from the dealer .Under normal driving conditions [not towing ] highway or city 500mls per 5000 km .
U will most likely get a very very poor response from dealers .
DOH !!!
There WAS AND IS NO SPEC FOR CONSUMPTION .
There are no specific rules . Do not be mislead .

Some industrial engine makers flat out deny oil consumption exists .[this happens on the quiet with auto makers also ].

When detergent oils first came onto the market glazed rings and cylinder bores were common diesel or petrol .This does exist still in the modern eng Some engines are sensitive to the ingrediants /ADDITIVES

In the modern vehicle a good percentage of the oil consumption comes from the very fine hone marks .
What this does is seal the rings slightly better but the risk of glazing is higher . Go figure!!

As a side note I have found some OEM hone angles[to steep or shallow speced] and ring packages terrible [ to tightly packed ,to high, to thin ,no piston skirt ]
swampfox
AnswerID: 553841

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 20:14

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 20:14
Gday Dave,
Colorado service intervals are 15,000k
So its not unreasonable to expect an oil topup of 2 required.
Problem is that customers don't know how to check the oil.
AnswerID: 553844

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 08:23

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 08:23
That's a rather stupid statement. "Customers don't know how to check oil". Thats the sort of garbage I,d expect from a dealer.
What level of education do you think would be required to learn the art of reading a dipstick?
Some of the oil usage is ridiculous(read the many threads /posts/complaints about the issue).
FollowupID: 839734

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 09:13

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 09:13
Haha - can assure you I'm not a dealer.
But the majority of people I know through work/social and even some in the 4wd club do not lift their bonnet, let alone check the dipstick. I've drummed it into my 4 kids that they need to check these things .... but generation X and Y don't check oil!!

My first car had oil changes every 2000miles. Occasionally needed topping up. The servos had glass bottles of oil in a stand and you just grabbed one and poured it in. Cars of the past burned more oil than those of today.
Colorado (and many others) are now 15,000km. Little surprise that the oil level can drop with the longer intervals. Those who still change oil every 5k don't have to top up.
FollowupID: 839737

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 09:29

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 09:29
The point is Phil that the people complaining are the ones checking their oil and telling of how after distances of 3000, 5000 and 6000klms they have used several litres of oil....Dealers are saying this is ok....
Typical dealer B.S...
FollowupID: 839738

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 20:43

Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 20:43
Is it possible some or most of the lost oil is due to venting via crankcase breather (from the engine cover) to the exhaust system, like most modern TD engines ?
If so, it might be worth trying a catch can (good Provent type) as even with this you will get benefits of cleaner intake manifold over time.

Mine only removes say 50mls from a decent drive of say a few thousand km, but it is higher in many makes.

You can drain via special valve back to the crankcase, or just drain and put back in the engine oil manually.
If it was a lot, it'd be worth doing the first option.

I'm wondering how much oil takes the level to below the dipstick end on the Colo's, but imagine it is perhaps 2lt ?
Do they run a different engine now to the Isuzu Dmax and Mux ?
AnswerID: 553846

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 12:45

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 12:45
Yes they do run a different motor to the Isuzu have since the new Colorado came out in 2012. It is the same motor as in the Jeep Wrangler as GM/Fiat now own VM Motori a bit of the story.2011

A new product line of a V6, 3.0L displacement engine is launched in 2011, adding a new class of vehicle applications such as luxury SUV’s and large top-of-class sedan, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Lancia Thema. Further development of the RA428 engine results in a Euro 5 high performance engine named A428, mounted on the traditional Jeep SUV Cherokee and Wrangler, as well as the newly launched Lancia Voyager. The ownership structure changes: Fiat Group purchases the 50% share previously owned by Penske Corporation. VM is today a 50:50 Joint Venture between GM and Fiat Grou

FollowupID: 839750

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 08:28

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 08:28
The last 2 new cars we have bought as daily transport, a VW Jetta diesel and Subaru Forester petrol, used significant oil before the first main oil change. I am older and so am still in the habit of checking oil regularly.

When I commented on this to the service people they said it was no problem and that with modern cars the oil put in the new engines is deliberately a lighter grade to aid lubrication in the first wear in phase. They also stated that it was rare for the oil level to get low enough to turn on the warning light and this was where there was a risk if ignored.

Both also suggested that the cars would run much better after 10 - 15K as I had been a little disappointed at slight roughness when brand new. They were right in both cases and the oil consumption dropped to about 1/2 way between marks by the time a service was due -15,000 and 12,500 intervals respectively.

Just seems to be the new age.
AnswerID: 553859

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 21:46

Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 21:46
Alastair - Agree with everything you said.
Same with my wifes Tiguan and my 200 - they use a little oil, but it's not a problem - just need to check it and top up.
FollowupID: 839786

Sponsored Links