Regular outback driving vehicle suggestions?

Submitted: Monday, May 18, 2015 at 11:45
ThreadID: 117895 Views:2145 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning,

I may have to do a lot of outback driving soon along "Outback Way" semi-regularly. I'm researching into reliable diesel vehicles up to the task. I've narrowed my vehicle choices down and three vehicles have made the shortlist. Please let me know if there's any others I should be considering.

2.8L diesel Hilux
75 series landcruiser (2H and 1HZ engines)
Nissan Patrol utes (TD42 non-turbo)

These vehicles have made my list as their relatively simple, naturally aspirated, minimal electronics, run diesel and have a reputation for being tough.

I was also considering 4JB1T Rodeos for their economy and reliability (isuzu engine) and naturally aspirated 2.8 diesel Tritons for their simplicity but turbos are another part to fail and parts availability is important in the outback.

I'm thinking the Toyotas may be the best choice due to parts availability alone. Is there much difference between the vehicles fuel usage? Any other considerations I should be making? The TD42 and 2H have the advantage of no timing belts to change. The 75 series comes with dual 90L tanks after a certain year?

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, May 18, 2015 at 12:09

Monday, May 18, 2015 at 12:09
Good choices. Personally the 76 for a slightly better ride, the Nissan for capability (only just though). The Hilux may have a smaller payload though. Don't know much about them.

But all three are excellent and with plenty of toughening up accessories and kits available.
AnswerID: 553915

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, May 18, 2015 at 20:37

Monday, May 18, 2015 at 20:37
Ooops type That should have read "75" not "76".
FollowupID: 839844

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 18, 2015 at 15:52

Monday, May 18, 2015 at 15:52
A lot depends on your driving preferences, Ben. Do you like to hammer along at the speed limit, or are you content to just cruise at 80-90 clicks, and drive to conditions? If the latter then either the Patrol or 75 series would do you, with the Hilux a looooong 3rd behind the 2 sixes. Hiluxes just can't handle continual rough conditions!

However if you want to cover some miles, do it reliably, with little stress and a degree of safety, then you must look at a 79 series factory turbo. At the speed limit, economy will be as good or better than your current picks, and regardless of weather conditions(read here prevailing winds) you will keep up a good average speed.

You don't say how much of the GCR you'll be travelling on, but on either the forward or return leg it will often be into strong headwinds. The 2H won't handle it, and the 1HZ won't be too much ahead of the 2H. Timing belts are no big deal, as long as you change them regularly, or when you purchase a 2nd hand vehicle, and renew all parts relating to T/B once the k's get "up there".

Anyway it's your choice, and money, but I'd going for the 79TD. More loot of course, but worth it in long run, and they ride much better than the old leaf sprung chariots.

Happy hunting,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 553919

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, May 18, 2015 at 17:31

Monday, May 18, 2015 at 17:31
What Bob said. If the budget can stretch that far, a factory turbo 79 series. They have the benefit of having a much more grunty engine and also front coil spring suspension for a much better ride. I think from memory the rear, although leaf springs, are longer leaves so a bit better in the ride department there as well. A tad more room in the cab as well.
If you must give that a miss purely for budgetry constraints, either the 75 Toyota or the TD 4.2 Nissan would be my choice. Yes, the old 2H engine is a good reliable plodder, but they are all getting very long in the tooth. I wouldn't get too concerned about changing a timing belt in those Toyota engines. The HJ75 takes about 30 minutes, and that's allowing for sipping a cuppa as you go. Well, maybe a bit longer the first time, but follow the manual for the timing procedure and a very simple job. If you don't have a reliable record of the previous service history, I would change the water pump and the belt tensioner while in there.
Unless you are towing a reasonable load, I wouldn't be worried about the 1HZ engine being slow.
The other advantage is that just about any mechanic in the bush has experience with the Toyota especially, and spare parts, if required are very readily available. Most stations out back have a fleet of them running around or sitting as wreckers behind the shed.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 839831

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 18, 2015 at 19:57

Monday, May 18, 2015 at 19:57
Yes Pop, probably a bit harsh with my comment about the 1HZ. A worthy successor to the 2H alright. As long as you're not towing heavy, and trying to overtake every triple road train you see.

Just that I've been spoilt driving my 79TD over the past 12 years........

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839841

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, May 18, 2015 at 20:39

Monday, May 18, 2015 at 20:39
Bob,
Having owned, or at least had experience with both the 2H and 1HZ as it sounds like you have too, IMHO the 1HZ was as far in front of the 2H as the 1HD-FTE is in front of the 1HZ.

Having said all that, a 1HD-FT now resides under the bonnet of my HZJ75 where the 1HZ used to call home. I did this mod purely because of the towing I now do. I got a bit frustrated by the performance, or should I say, lack of performance, that the 1HZ was capable of providing.
If it weren't for the 2.8 tonnes that often gets dragged around, I would have left the old 1HZ in place.

My first choice would have been a ute same as yours, but even now they are attracting a pretty penny for one in good condition, and my old ute was still good apart from the lack of power.
It just completed a 6 month lap of the block dragging the van without a moments hesitation.

I guess it's horses for courses.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 839845

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 10:03

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 10:03
Since when can't a Hilux handle continual 'tough' conditions ? Just about every property out our way has 1 or 2 , Every 2nd council vehicle out west is a Hilux …… Windorah mail run uses what ? Ohh thats right a Hilux , The 500km mail run to properties round Muttaburra all on dirt uses what ? Ohh would not be a Hilux would it ?
FollowupID: 839860

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 10:12

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 10:12
Alloy - agree. Just two bits of advice about the Hilux ....... 1. don't overload them and 2. buy one of the ealier models before Tojo started to pump them full of steriods.... the 2.8 was a good model.

Honestly, unless you're towing the normally aspirated deisles are fine .... my 2H doesn't lose out anything to the other vehicles I travel with once you get off the black-top....
FollowupID: 839861

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 13:39

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 13:39
Wasn't looking for a bite with that comment Alloy, but thought I'd probably get one. :-)

Perhaps I should rephrase it to "Hilux can't handle continual rough conditions as well as the Landcruiser/Patrol".

Local mail contractor from here took delivery of new Hilux dual cab on Monday. He does 2 of 700 km runs/week, and he's only keeping it 2 years. Maybe he agrees with me?

We had a new 1982 Hilux dual cab for 4 years....great vehicle, albeit underpowered, and had no dramas with it.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 839944

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 14:47

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 14:47
Nah , won't be that he agrees with you , more than likely on a 2yr lease so that when he gets the new one in 2 yrs time it will be the new model that will have proven itself by others for 18mths or so already , and or his vehicle will by then have done 140/150k which is the normal turnaround on a new vehicle if you can afford it ….
FollowupID: 839946

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 11:13

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 11:13
Hi Ben,
If you are so keen to do away with all mod cons to do a bush run what's wrong with the Diesel Series 2 Landrover.
It's got every thing you seem to want, basic. no electronics, no aircon, not very fast, leaf springs, solid chassis and large carrying capacity.
t should be ideal for you.

Mind you, I sometimes write things with my tongue firmly in my left cheek.

Have fun, that's the main thing.

Disco.
AnswerID: 553952

Reply By: JR - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 15:17

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 15:17
Outback driving usually means long highway stretches.
A 2.8D hilux is definitely not at home, rough, slow and uses heaps of fuel at 110kmh for engine size. OK utes but far from unbreakable. Very capable off road though.

Look seriously at TD42t Nissan, coils all round, they are designed for a turbo, no reliability problems from the turbo, have 160? L fuel on board and have very long lives.

Toyotas are fine, driveline not as solid as Patrol, 75's maybe not as good as marketing says, but command premium price all the same. Leaf models are fairly rough on all roads
AnswerID: 554012

Follow Up By: carnaby - Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 21:53

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 21:53
Hi
What JR said go full coils and patrol would be my preference but stick pre 2001 before the electronic fuel pump
Alan
FollowupID: 839958

Reply By: Keepit Simple - Friday, May 22, 2015 at 21:07

Friday, May 22, 2015 at 21:07
The 2H is probably the simplest motor going around and doesnt have electronic fuel injection so can be easily started without battery power. has good capability in sand with its large fly wheel. The trouble is finding one that hasnt clocked over the million km's. If you get a tight one, grab it.
AnswerID: 554111

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 15:41

Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 15:41
I've got one spare...
FollowupID: 840114

Sponsored Links