Sweating on Self Inflating Air Matress

Submitted: Monday, May 18, 2015 at 20:35
ThreadID: 117903 Views:1887 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, new to the forum, though I have read many helpful hints and tips here.

I've tried a number of mattresses over the years and I have to say, for me, I've found the Self Inflating types really good. The one I'm currently using is an Oztrail branded one, a good size when inflated and not overly too big when rolled up. Previously, I was using a Roman branded one and while good, wasn't quite wide enough for me.

One problem I've found with both of these is I find a Sweat a LOT on them. I put a wool blend blanket over it, and then sleep with an open sleeping bag pulled over me. I don't get hot like this, just nice, but I am finding that what ever side of me is down (on the SIM) sweats pretty bad.

Would this be the SIM or do I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 00:55

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 00:55
My guess is self inflating mattresses don't breath, hence why you sweat. May need to ditch the SIM all together and find one with some sought of pillow top.
AnswerID: 553944

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 09:45

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 09:45
You might find a breathable overlay for it if you check out the camping shops. This is always a problem, particularly if you are one of us who have a hot body. (no pun intended)

Maybe one of those hospital style cotton blankets might help as an underlay between you and the mattress.
AnswerID: 553946

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 14:51

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 14:51
Chris, I would try a corrugated foam topper mattress, generally available from Clark Rubber in various sizes.
They add a lot of comfort to mattresses in general (swag, SIM, etc), provides a lot better ventilation and the body with improved blood flow too.

I use one on my swag mattresses (single and double) and find them great.

You might also consider a good thick quilt, one large enough (double or queen) to put on the mattress and fold over you as needed.
Quite a lot of people are moving away from traditional sleeping bags in favour of quilts, including those in my main background in the bushwalking field.
AnswerID: 553957

Follow Up By: Moke Spider - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 18:07

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 18:07
Many Thanks. As I suspected and all you guys have confirmed, this is occurring from lack of breathing, but I wasn't sure how to over-come this.

Les - PK Ranger, I'll give that a go, sounds the goods
FollowupID: 839882

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:48

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:48
A slight diversion on the topic of self inflating mattresses. Just bought a 10cm thick single mat today - how long does it take to inflate first time around? Then how long to inflate in everyday use? Also does a air pump help to inflate/deflate or likely to cause damage.

Moke Spider/Mods if not happy with this slight diversion I will start a new thread.

Cheers

Garry
AnswerID: 553969

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:57

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 17:57
Garry, most SIMs are best left to inflate by themselves, the valves aren't normally friendly for use with pumps etc.
Also, it is tempting to blow them up to make ot happen quicker, but your breath will introduce moisture, and make them gradually slower to self inflate.
Best to set up camp, open the valve/s, and leave in the sun is great to get them up fast (also dries out any moisture introduced in the past).
A few breathes to finish is fine, and easy to get rid of, just don't do that as soon as the valve/s are opened.
FollowupID: 839880

Follow Up By: Moke Spider - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 18:21

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 18:21
Garry,

No problem, it's all relevant :)

When I pull up of an afternoon, first task I do is set the tent up, then get the SIM in there ASAP, open the valves and as best I can, roll it out, though I have found it tends to do this on it's own. I've not actually watched how long it takes on it's own, but I'd guess about 30 - 40 minutes to self inflate.

Reading a few of the manufacturer's web pages, they all seem to recommend against using anything to assist with inflation, let nature take it's course!

Also, I would agree with what Les has said here about doing it from your own lungs.

As your SIM is new and most likely machine rolled, I'd guess that first time around it may take some time to inflate, I'd suggest leaving it for a few days plugs out.

Something else I picked up on from the Manufacturer's info and now seems obvious is that when not in use (eg stored at home), is not to store them rolled up, but to pull the plugs and store say under a bed. My only concern with this would be insects wanting to nest within.
FollowupID: 839883

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:17

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 21:17
Thanks for the advice guys. Too old to huff and puff but have a nice rechargeable 12v blower and sucker. The mat has been out now for about 7 hours and is about half inflated.

In view of the sweating issue I bought a nice fitted flannelette sheet at Woolies tonight.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 839905

Sponsored Links