L/R Tanks - BEWARE

Submitted: Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:22
ThreadID: 11830 Views:1593 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All
A quick word of warning from recent experience.

I have just sold my old vehicle to a chap in the neighbouring state. To grease the wheels of the sale - I arranged for the "blue slip" for the buyer. On inspection, the agent told me that because the vehicle had a long-range tank fitted, an engineers report was required!!! This tank was made by probably the biggest supplier of long range tanks, it was fitted by the largest 4wd specialist in my area, plus I had all receipts for said fitting. This was not enough, and the engineers report was still required. So, a quick glance under the car by the engineer, and $400 bucks later, the sale could go ahead. Talk about a rude shock!

I can see the rationale for inspecting such a vital component - but surely when manufacturers have standards to comply to, and fitters have responsibility for their work, an additional inspection isn't warranted??? If it was home made and home fitted I can understand, but........

So anyhow, beware if buying, selling or moving across state boundaries....

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: basecamp15 - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:26

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:26
That' interesting. I was aware of the engineers cert, but was told that came with the cost of the fitting. This was the info provided by a number of the large 4WD chains so how yours didn't get it upon fitting is very strange.
AnswerID: 53229

Reply By: Tuco69 - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 13:29

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 13:29
I live in Qld, and had a similar experience about 5 years ago. The person who did the pre-sale roadworthy couldn't find the compliance plate on the accessory tank. I knew it was there when the tank was fitted - and investigation by myself found that the plate had been covered with a thick layer of underbody rustproof sealant when the vehicle was 'serviced' by the rustproofing company. Turps, elbow grease and a bit of rag quickly had it visible again.

My current vehicle also has an aftermarket aux fuel tank - which was complianced at the time it was fitted by the supplier. If I had optioned to fit it myself, then I would have had to pay the compliance cost separately. As well as a plate welded to the tank, there is an ADR accessory compliance plate riveted to the firewall.

Tuco in Cairns
AnswerID: 53237

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 13:45

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 13:45
And to think, people are worried about how many illegal 4wds are out there with bigger tires on..

This is all bullbleep... Do we need an engineers for a spare key too? how about to put dirt on the car as it changes the weight of the vehicle?? or how about when it rains?
AnswerID: 53240

Follow Up By: flappan - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:24

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 15:24
um Yes.

Dirts fine . . . Mud costs you $350

Rain is optional depending on whether to apply Rainex , in a clockwise or anti clockwise fashion . . . . wax on . . . wax off grasshopper.
FollowupID: 314977

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 16:51

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 16:51
the way we are going wont have to worry about rain for a while any truckster none on the horizon (worst bloody luck we could all use abit of rain)

FollowupID: 314986

Reply By: Graham - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 18:58

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 18:58
The guy who installed my LR tank fixed a compliance plate on the fire wall outlining who, what, licence # etc. I would follow up with the crowd that installed your tank, they may not be licenced to do those mods?
AnswerID: 53277

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:22

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:22
Qld is the only state to physically attach mod plates, the rest do paperwork as far as I know, but again, where does it end?
FollowupID: 315016

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)