winching and flat battery

Submitted: Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 20:28
ThreadID: 11845 Views:1889 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, few questions relate to winching and battery.
I am using Yuasa 700 (truck battery)
1. Just wondering if anyone knows what happen if i flat my battery (main battery, not dual battery setup) while winching.........my truck is diesel........is it in theory that the engine should keep running even in flat battery situation?

2. What would likely to happen first if I keep winching?
a)Winch overheat and stop.
b)Flat battery
c)Alternator overload

2. Also, anyone know how can I meaure the Reserve Capacity on a battery if it is not mentioned on its casing or manufacturer specification ?

3. I had completely flatten my battery once in last 2 years by leaving headlight on for 8 hours. It was recovered by slow charging it for 2 days. And now working perfectly. I was told the battery life must be shortened after completely flat. Does anyone know roughly how much the battery life has been shortened?

Any reply would be appreciate! Thank You
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stuart - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 20:50

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 20:50
Go to the this site. What it does'nt tell you about batteries is'nt worth knowing. http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm#4
AnswerID: 53299

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:24

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:24
2ndLow,
Steps to winching,
1. Increase rpm of motor to about 1200rpm, use hand throttle if fitted
2. Use a snatch block in all winiching operations
3. Only use the winch in short bursts, 10-15 seconds at a time and a equal amount of time for the battery to recharge
When a winch is rated, it is rated when the cable is wound off the drum except for 6 turns of cable left on the drum. The drum is at it's smallest diameter and therefore at it's maximum mechanical advantage. Running the cable through a snatch block will use more cable,which means the drum will be as small as possible and will also mean that half the effort will be required by the winch. Because the winch is not working as hard, the draw on the battery will also be half.
The battery should not go flat while winching if these rules are applied. If the battery should go flat, the winch would stop turning and get very hot.
PS A diesel motor does not require a battery to run, once the motor is running it requires no electric power unlike petrol motors that require power for a spark.

Wayne
AnswerID: 53305

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:18

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:18
Wayne

I think you'll find diesels with an ECU won't run with a blat fattery.
FollowupID: 315053

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 16:48

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 16:48
As long as it's running the alternator will power ECU
FollowupID: 315118

Reply By: ianmc - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:29

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:29
Wayne, what about the solenoid on the injector pump of many motors???
AnswerID: 53307

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:44

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 21:44
Ianmc,
The question was will the motor run on a flat battery and it will, it just won't stop with out the solenoid. lol lol lol
All the solenoid does is cut the fuel supply. This can be done by the solenoid or a mechincal switch.

Wayne
FollowupID: 315020

Sponsored Links