Blue Tongue Compressors

Submitted: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1185 Views:4920 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Might sound like a dumb question to the experts but what are the maintenance and things one should be aware of when using and careing for a blue tongue 111. I spent $2000 + at the recent caravan/4wd show with OL and received my "new" blue tongue without any instructions-it was also different to the photos in the brochures which prompted me to enquire if it was an superseded one. I was formed that the photos in the brochures for the show were those of the superseded compressors ?? Anyway three specific requests for a copy of the instruction to Management resulted in promises I would receive them. One month later still no instructions. OL's complacency has made me somewhay cynical. Also had a mat missing from my air jack (Bull Bag) but that's another matter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goran - Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00
Ken , Blue tongue compressors do not require a great deal of maintenance. They are fan cooled , therefore continuosly rated. What that means is , you can pump tyres on several 4x4's without overheating them. You have to clean the air filter from time to time , don't expose it to water and dirt , and make sure it is wired properly. That is pretty much it.
AnswerID: 3760

Reply By: Dave Harrington - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Ken,

I have owned a Blue Tongue 111 for 6 months now and it is fantastic. I have pumped up 4 vehicle tyres (16 tyres) continuously and it did not falter. Mine did not come with an operating manual as such - just a parts breakdown. As has been said keep it clean and it will be good to you.

Dave
AnswerID: 3764

Reply By: Andrew O - Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 23, 2002 at 00:00
Ken,
No such thing as a dumb question - I've had a Blue Tongue 3 installed in two different vehicles over the last three years (under the bonnet). I actually don't recall getting a manual at all, and I know it came in the original packaging. The wiring is pretty easy (did they supply you a switch & bracket??) ... just remember they pull 15A. On numerous occasions my unit has inflated the tyres of multiple cars, as well as lilo's, and has never let me down.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 3765

Reply By: MikeS - Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00
Ken, if you think you've asked a dumb question, let me tell you some of the instructions I received with my Blue Tongue III compressor. It seems that the compressors are actually manufactured by Thomas Industries Inc, Wisconsin, and are rebranded by Opposite Lock. Thomas make a wide range of medical and industrial compressors and vacuum pumps, if this says anything about the quality. The instructions were from Thomas in typical US "state the bleeding obvious or else some stupid !#$*might sue us". For example, 1. Never allow children to operate the unit. 2. Never operate this unit if it has a damaged cord or plug if (sic) it is not working properly. ...5. Never use while sleeping or drowsy. ... 7. Do not operate this product where oxygen is being administered. ...

Apart from this guff, there were no maintenance recommendations and my unit has given very good trouble-free service for many years just by keeping it clean.

By the way ... 8. Never drop or insert fingers or any other object into openings.

Happy pumping.
AnswerID: 3807

Follow Up By: Ken R - Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks fellows.My Blue tongue came bolted in a plastic tool box.I wonder whether this is advisable as regards restricting the efficiency of the fan and cause overheating .It will however keep the dirt and water clear of theunit. How can you identify the unit as the latest and not the superseded model?
FollowupID: 1622

Sponsored Links