Cobb Cooker

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 14:47
ThreadID: 11869 Views:2843 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We just bought a cobb cooker the other week. Cooked a chook in it over the week-end. It would have to have been one of the tastiest we've ever had. My mouth is still watering! Must remember to buy the more expensive kind of heat beads not the cheapies that we had. Took longer to cook than we expected because of the low grade beads. Worth the wait though!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 14:53

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 14:53
G'day Liz,

Yes, they are good aren't they? We've had ours for over 12 months and find it good.....don't forget to let the beads stop "burning" and turn brown on the outside before you start cooking.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 53402

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 20:14

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 20:14
Hey Roachie,
do you know if there is a place out there where i can find out how to use one? From what i have hard they sure r great.
cheers Angelo
FollowupID: 315150

Follow Up By: Roachie - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 21:43

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 21:43
Angelo,
Not sure about demo's etc, but the Cobb comes with an instruction book, recipes etc. We started off doing the roast chicken thingo and then went on to open grill BBQ bangers etc. We haven't tried baking a cake or anything quite that fancy yet; or maybe we (missus) did and I fell asleep or something. After a few special "Dilmah Teas" at night, I can't remember what happened the night before. LOLOLOL.

You'd be welcome to come camping over here in SA sometime with us and we'll crank her up and see what she'll do.....so to speak.

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 315159

Reply By: ToyMotor - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:15

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:15
I've been thinking about getting one of these - the only thing I'm a bit hesitant about is the "heat bead flavour" - I've tasted some absolute shockers that have come out of Webers using heat beads, which I understand are basically reconstituted powdered coal with additives. Any comments anyone?

Cheers, Ian
AnswerID: 53475

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:22

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:22
Provided you ensure that the heat beads have gone past the 'burning stage' and have that almost white powdered coating on (which takes between 20 and 30 mins) and you use the Bostik "Fire-Up" firelighters which are made of natural pine wood rather than the kerosene based Jiffy fireligters you will have no taste what so ever.
I have had my unit for over 12 months now and cook roast lamb, chook veges, damper, rum raisin scones etc...both out in the bush and on the boat....all yummmmy :-)
Highly recommended
FollowupID: 315162

Follow Up By: ToyMotor - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 14:59

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 14:59
Thanks for the info KA, do you use any particular type of heat beads, or are they all pretty much the same?

Cheers
FollowupID: 315437

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 00:31

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 00:31
Just the small 4kg bag that you get from Coles with "Heat Beads" on the front. I dont think the actual heat beads are as important as the firelighters as far as smell is concerned.

I know when I first startted I used the kerosene based firelighters and was not waiting for the beads to get that brown powdery look to them (takes at least 20-30minutes) and started cooking too soon.

This does 2 things:
1) You dont get the heat you need
2) risk getting a smell.

By waiting for that 20-30minutes and using the Fire Up pine based startres...no probs

I use it to cook every second weekend, just to get the practice of what you CAN cook and how long it takes etc

Its all fun :-)

Good luck

FollowupID: 315478

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:44

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:44
I use some dry wood to make coals and cook roasts, cakes, damperand much more in my camp oven. Coals below and on top. No chemicals, additives or any of the many nasties to be avoided in heat beads. Don't remember how much the oven cost but it wasn't very much. Oh and Liz - the chook was tasty because of the quality of the chook not the heat source LOL. I'm a real four wheel driver - no gimmicky gadgets - just me and a campfire and my oven and beautifully cooked food.
AnswerID: 53484

Follow Up By: ToyMotor - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:05

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:05
I've been cooking with a camp oven for many years, there's no better way to cook a duck (and a lot of other stuff) that's for sure! What interests me about the Cobb is that you can do oven style cooking without a fire, or even inside a tent in the rain! Although I bet they'd produce a fair bit of carbon monoxide or something, so you'd want to keep the ventilation up.

Cheers
FollowupID: 315438

Sponsored Links