Tanami Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 17:36
ThreadID: 11873 Views:1764 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Mate is staying with me tonight and he is heading west. Has a Prado towing a Coromal 16 ft pop top van with independent suspension.

He is wanting to travel the Tanami and is wondering the condition of the Track at the moment and would it be suitable to his van. He has already had plenty of travell on other roads and has been on the Tanami on previous occasions but seeks info on the current condition

Thanks in Advance

Big Dog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maverick - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 19:40

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 19:40
no rain on the wa side last 48hrs - also no graders operating. check with nt roads and main roads wa before heading out. aslo give rabbit flat and the granites a call as they may be able to inform you of the absolute up to date conditions. once into wa the raod will be cut away and rough dur to rains last couple of months. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 53453

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:17

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:17
When we travelled the track about 6 years ago, we called everywhere. Most not really interested, said that it was too wet to travel the WA side but we could go up Buchanan Hwy. We called Kalkaringi Police and notified them of who was travelling and time etc. When we got there [after some adventure... and misadventure] the police had no idea we were on the road. Noone had made a note. Little interest.
AnswerID: 53476

Follow Up By: Slammin - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:32

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:32
Fair point but the coppers seem to turn over in these areas as soon as their kids are old enuff to get into daycare and there's a town job going.

It depends on who you get at the time.
FollowupID: 315164

Reply By: Slammin - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:38

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 22:38
I don't think the Tanami is ever good, too many trucks for that to happen. I don't know that type of van but unless it's got heavy duty suspension or is a 4wd style camper I wouldn't do it. We've had a good dump of rain here at the sthn end of the Tanami that i can vouch for and can safely assume that the nthn end got more than we did so unless the graders been thru ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

I see vans comng and going on the Tanami all the time and always wonder about the avge van that's just done the trip, how much further........
AnswerID: 53482

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:24

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 12:24
G'day Slammin,

You've been quiet lately...working too hard? Where are you moving to after the job expires in June?

Yeah, the Tanami Road(why it is called a track I do not know) can be a bugger with lots of bulldust patches and corrugations by the trillions. I would not be taking any van on it. It will be a sure test on the durablility on any welds or bolts driving that road.

It always does seem to rain at Easter though the weather forecasters are saying that we are not getting any rain for the next three months. But then again, they are wrong quite often.

Regards,
FollowupID: 315206

Follow Up By: Slammin - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:07

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:07
Yep you're a 100% there Willem. Track thats not a track, it's a flippin big highway.
I always find it curious that it's the Tanami Track but the Plenty or Sandover Hwy. I'd put money on it getting at least 50 times as much traffic as the Plenty.
I do notice tho' that more people do refer to it as The Tanami Highway in the past few years.
I've been flooded in more times in Easter than at any other time of the year.

I've been v.busy with work, travel and visitors but I also got the s--ts with this forum because a lot of posts seemed to be an opportunity for some users to simply become a place to argue. They don't read or choose not to listen to the differing points of view. It can be amusing for some and thats their right to go for it, it does take 2 to tango, but I've got better forms of entertainment.

I also got annoyed with threads being posted or hijacked with racist comments being posted and then the thread just being deleted. The same people always jump in because they've seen or know it all about indigenous issues. They have their nod or a wink and a laugh - reaffirm their pathetic beliefs and wait for other opportunities to go for it again. That is how the current problems get exacerbated and continued.
I did raise it with David and I can see his point of view but I still feel that he should have mentioned that that sort of behaviour was out of wack with the user agreement.

Anyway I did get the Modern Trailer and am happy with it, paid too much but thats Alice. Busy getting it enclosed for the move. We'll head for Cairns and get a good dose of seafood and non bore water. I haven't been for a good swim in years, so we're looking forward to tropical fruit and all the other bonuses of FNQ.

I'm hoping that your planned trip all works out well, how are the knees?

I guess I've hijacked this thread a bit myself sorry Big Dog but Willem did ask!
FollowupID: 315318

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:14

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:14
G'day agian Slammin

Yeah I know what you mean re the racist remarks. I normally take those to task and end up having long discussions off forum. You will not change those narrow minded views.

Glad to hear the trailer is going well. Yes, everything is dearer in the Territory....always a freight charge plus a bit extra just for good measure. In the early days in Darwin it used to be 15% freight on everything including a labour charge :-)

I am struggling a bit with the knees but stay as active as I can. Next knee op is somewhere in the future as the hospital can't give me an exact date. Will just have to wait my turn.

Regard
FollowupID: 315323

Reply By: Brian - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 23:18

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2004 at 23:18
From Memory the 3 years that I lived there it Rained each easter!!!

Brian
AnswerID: 53486

Reply By: Hankster - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 18:17

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 18:17
You still can't get through at Billiluna WA because the Sturt River is too high. (1.2m) Locals are going around the lake but I wouldn't recommend it with a van. I went around Lake Gregory a little while ago. It is a large deviation from Balgo Community to Mulan Community and eventually comes out on the Canning Stock Route and back onto the Tanami. If you don't know the area I wouldn't recommend it.

Regards Hank
Halls Creek, WA
AnswerID: 54221

Sponsored Links