Road speed when towing & height of number plates from ground

Submitted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 14:53
ThreadID: 118960 Views:6928 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all
There are two conversations going on around me in Townsville they are:
1. NSW & Queensland Police are booking drivers towing anything (Van, trailer, boat etc) for failing to keep to the posted speed.
That is, if you are like me I tow my caravan to the road & weather conditions. If everything is good I travel at a speed between 85 & 90kmph unless in a 110 speed zone where I travel at 95kpph. The reason at this speed is it allows motorists behind me to overtake with safety and not exceed the speed limit. Plus once I get more than a couple of vhicles (or one truck) behind me I start looking for a safe place to pull over.
I can understand Police booking people on motorways for not keeping up with the traffic but if the facts (as being stated now) are anybody can be booked no matter what the weather or th road condition. So my question is: is this a law that changes whenever the Police deem it or is it a law that is insane?

2. My wife has found a post on facebook of a victorian man who has towed his 5 year old caravan around Australia and travelled extensivly in NSW who was booked by NSW Police because his number plate was too high off the ground. 3 demerit points & $145.00. The number plate was above the proscribed height of 1.3m
Aparently the Caravan Manufacturers wer unaware of the Road Regulation. The van has passed several roadworthy inspections and the NSW Traffic Authority were unaware of the law too. But extensive research by the van owner has turned up that it is a requirement in NSW and that truck drivers have been booked too.
I measured my van the bottom of the number plate is 1.33m from the ground and the centre of the plate is 1.42m from ground 9concrete slab).

This is crazy. It sounds like the Victorian Policeman in Malacoota a couple of years ago who was booking caravanners for not taking their tow ball & goose neck off the tug. The fine there was a lot higher.

Stop the world I want to get off
Regards to all
PeteM (Qld)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 15:02

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 15:02
Firstly you do not ever have to travel at the posted limit. You do however have to drive to the conditions and also may not unduly hold other traffic up.
Meaning if a queue behind you pull over when possible and let them past.

The numberplate thing is and has been discussed on the Caravanners forum and is unsubstantiated and there are clauses in the regs to allow variations.

The information originally came from the NRMA site and is over 2 years old.

There is provision in the regs to not have protrusions like towbar tongues on when not towing and the same applies to wide mirrors which contravene regs when van is not attached.
AnswerID: 554168

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 16:25

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 16:25
Thank you TomH
Do you mean that the owner should have known of the regulation and taken steps to have the position of his number plate certified by ssomeone?
An authorised person such as an engineer or Road Traffic Authority officer?
Many thanks
PeteM (Qld)
FollowupID: 840162

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 18:45

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 18:45
It means that if it impossible to have it at the correct height you may get an exemption . Eg if you drive a vehicle with a flat deck that the end is higher than 1300mm and there is nowhere below that to put the plate Unlikely but possible.

Wouldnt think you would need it engineered Just a rational explanation and dont antagonize the cop.

FollowupID: 840168

Reply By: Mark O4 - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 15:33

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 15:33
Peter,
Interesting, an acquaintance who is a policeman was telling me that they had charged a woman who hit a pedestrian. The woman was driving into the sunset and whilst doing the legal speed limit, she was not driving to conditions/ undue care or some such charge. I would rather face a judge saying that I was doing a safe or to conditions speed than the legal speed that a capable person would determine unsafe. I should mention that this policeman works in the legal section and the actual fellow that attended and was investigating rang him to see what she could be charged with.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 554169

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 16:27

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 16:27
G'day Mark & thank you
In NSW there has always been a charge called undue care & attention &/or negligent driving
Probably the same in every state & territory
Regards
PeteM (Qld)
FollowupID: 840163

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 18:32

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 18:32
Hmmm. Sounds like the female driver gave the police officer some attitude.
Cheers. Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840167

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 16:36

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 16:36
Just a quick clarification on the caravan in item 2.

Victoria has no annual roadworthy on vehicles or caravans for recreational use. Commercial weights and use is different.

The numberplate height is an ADR rule (2007) not a state one and the Manufacture should be ashamed of themselves if they did not know this.

The story is a couple of years old and although feasible I doubt that the person was pulled over just because of the numberplate and suspect that they were pulled over for other reasons, but booked for this.
These stories are written by the persecuted.

Tow ball/goose neck are a bug bear of mine and should always be removed.
AnswerID: 554171

Follow Up By: Geoffr17 - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 17:59

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 17:59
Hi. Tony.

Agree with you about goose necks sticking out in general.

There should be some exemptions. Just pulled in to camp at Night and disconnected the trailer, now going to shops , leaving tomorrow morning.
I would feel a bit stiff if booked while going to shops.

I am more concerned here in NSW about the new number plate colours.
Dark Blue letters on Black

Pink on Red

Green on Black.

And so on , they are unreadable out on the road especially if under the Perspex covers.

I can't believe they are allowed and issued by the RMS.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 840165

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 19:48

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 19:48
Towball must not extend beyond the line of the vehicle. Same as items attached to bull/nudge bars - must not extend beyond the line of the original fitted equipment.

So ... fishing rod holders that are forward of the bar profile are illegal. As are antennas that are fitted to the front of the bar, and driving lights that sit below the top bar, but forward of the line of the sweep of the bar.
FollowupID: 840172

Reply By: Slow one - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 18:34

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 18:34
Peter,
maybe you shouldn't listen to peoples stories in Brownsville.
AnswerID: 554173

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 06:06

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 06:06
I just argued that the stories couldn't be right SlowOne
But
It is not Brownsville, though I must admit the lack of the recent "wet season" is putting plenty of pressure on water costs.
Townsville is the only major city in Australia that has sufficient water to supply double the number of people that currently live here.
But had Bob Hawke followed through on his promise to build stage 2 of the Burdekin Dam we would have enough water to keep all of NQ green and have a base load hydro power station too.
Here endeth today's lesson
Regards
PeteM (Qld)
FollowupID: 840184

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 18:38

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 18:38
1. Ahh yes, the I'm a safe driver, drive to the conditions and never had an accident.... but left a trail of destruction in my wake.
The 85-90, is that because it is a safe speed and that is how you justify it, or the most efficient speed?
I've been stuck in the conga line of vehicles behind vans coming down the Bruce highway and it is painful. 20, 30 cars and trucks all stuck behind someone doing well under the limit, it leads to frustration and risk taking to get past. As for safe passing, a car or a modern ute might get past, but most trucks have no hope, so you get some seriously bleep off drivers stuck there too, so the trucks get to the front of the cue and then cars try and pass a few truck and then the bloke in the hat towing the van. It is OK for those on holiday, but these guys are driving to a schedule. I know when I'm in my workshop doing stuff, nothing annoys me more than having someone getting in the way. The road is their workshop.

"Division 1; General
125. Unreasonably obstructing drivers or pedestrians
(1) A driver must not unreasonably obstruct the path of another driver or a pedestrian.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) For this section, a driver does not unreasonably obstruct the path of another driver or a pedestrian only because—

(a) the driver is stopped in traffic; or
(b) the driver is driving more slowly than other vehicles (unless the driver is driving abnormally slowly in the circumstances).

Example of a driver driving abnormally slowly — a driver driving at a speed of 20km/h on a length of road to which a speed limit of 80km/h applies when there is no reason for the driver to drive at that speed on the length of road

So, driving 15 below the limit on a straight road on a clear day is an offence.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRURR09.pdf#G3.1017915

2. Has been the rule since 2005 and I suspect it has been also since 1995.

"9.1 Registration Plate (Number Plate)

Provision must be made for mounting of a 372 mm x 136 mm registration plate to the rear of every trailer so that no part of the plate is more than 1300 mm above the ground. "
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_a.aspx#anc_7

But, like most things, you would have to have had done something to make the cop go to the effort to get out the tape measure.

And before you mark me as a hoon, 30 years behind the wheel or the handle bars, and never had a speeding ticket, or any ticket for that matter and one accident...1st year on my P's.
AnswerID: 554175

Follow Up By: Slow one - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 19:17

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 19:17
I will stick up for peter and you should read what he posted. Read it again please.
FollowupID: 840169

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 19:28

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 19:28
I have, a few times. Which bit did I miss??

"For this section, a driver DOES NOT unreasonably obstruct the path of another driver or a pedestrian only because—

(b) the driver is driving more slowly than other vehicles "

It doesn't state that you HAVE to do the limit, but does say that you can't hold up other traffic. In this instance it would be up to the interpretation of the officer writing the ticket and if you didn't agree, then don't pay the fine and have your day in court.
FollowupID: 840170

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 21:36

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 21:36
I wonder then what way they look to tractors that have the plates at the top of the cab and seldom travel at more than 40kph?
FollowupID: 840178

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 22:05

Sunday, May 24, 2015 at 22:05
Hoyks,
"I have, a few times. Which bit did I miss??

"For this section, a driver does not UNREASONABLY obstruct the path of another driver or a pedestrian only because—"

The bit you missed is related to the word in upper case above.
If there is a reason for driving at that speed, then the charge is a nonsense.
FollowupID: 840179

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 05:30

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 05:30
Statement by yourself about the op.

. Ahh yes, the I'm a safe driver, drive to the conditions and never had an accident.... but left a trail of destruction in my wake.
The 85-90, is that because it is a safe speed and that is how you justify it, or the most efficient speed?
I've been stuck in the conga line of vehicles behind vans coming down the Bruce highway and it is painful. 20, 30 cars and trucks

Statement by op.
That is, if you are like me I tow my caravan to the road & weather conditions. If everything is good I travel at a speed between 85 & 90kmph unless in a 110 speed zone where I travel at 95kpph. The reason at this speed is it allows motorists behind me to overtake with safety and not exceed the speed limit. Plus once I get more than a couple of vhicles (or one truck) behind me I start looking for a safe place to pull over.

Note. No congo line, he states he pulls over when he gets a couple behind him and doesn't hold up traffic.

Also you state he travels at between 85 and 95kph because it is an efficient speed. That is what you have decided. What he states was a safe speed for him.
FollowupID: 840183

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 13:07

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 13:07
Original John,

My take on your query, John, is that many tractors and other machinery often have implements/attachments, both front and rear, and any number plates at or below 1.3M, would usually be obscured.

Qld has a concessional rego for tractors, graders, bobcats, farm bikes and similar vehicles, that allows them on gazetted roads, with 3rd party cover. Most plates I've seen in this class have them well up on the cab. Probably less chance of "injury" up there too. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840198

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 21:12

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 21:12
As, in fact does NSW - it's called "Conditional" rego - although having just taken the cheque into the RMS for a work tractor, I do not see that there's much of a Concession! - and requires plates to be affixed fore and aft, a mirror and all for driving a couple metres across a newly created road.
Mounting the rear plate at under 1.3m would be mostly obscured by the slasher/other implement, so anywhere up high is ideal. Be a really miserable SOB copper that tried to book me for illegal plate location as I drive across a road about 50 metres wide (gate to gate).
FollowupID: 840236

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 01:50

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 01:50
Hoyks
It was only last night I was reading on here about the idiots that travel on dirt roads at 100kph.
Tell me, what speed would you travel on a very corrugated dirt road that was sign posted at 100kph.
My guess it would not be the speed limit, and if I wanted to test my vehicle and do 100 you would call me an "Idiot".
These rules that are quoted by you, do they refer to bitumen roads only, or do they cover all types of roads.
It often intrigues me how the interpretation of a law can change in the eyes of those that is displeases the most on the day.
Slow caravans, Grey Haired Nomads, and the likes annoyed me for years, now I am one and it is my turn to annoy others, as I am sure you will when you get to my age.

Just my views.

FollowupID: 840240

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 08:23

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 08:23
Point 1;
I agree with the removal of the tongue from the rear when not really in use. Nothing worse than walking behind a car with an arm full of parcels or baby and WHACK you get it in the shin. Some tongues really stick out a lot.

Point 2;
Crossing the Hay Plains or the Nullabore or on a mulitude of similar non multi lane roads in the outback, without the sun in your face and in fine weather with miles of straight road ahead does not dictate doing 95 in the 110 areas as "the conditions". 110 is quite safe for a good car and properly loaded van under those conditions. Travelling any slower is a drivers choice. Not driving "according to the conditions". I can't help think that the ones who do that are inconsiderate. Especially when they don't pull over and let the other drivers, also travelling to conditions, pass.

Maybe I am in a bad mood etc because I am just leaving for my monthly chemo but I had to get this off my chest. These "driving to conditions" statements are getting a bit howsyafather.

Phil
AnswerID: 554184

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:16

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 10:16
Discover down under had a piece on about a QLD team of coppers traveling around in motorhome. Too any rollovers apparently with caravaners, so amongst other things they are promoting that they slow down.

Seems as though one arm does not know what the other is doing.

Brett....
AnswerID: 554187

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 09:28

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 09:28
Total drivel , Discover Down Under can't even get its facts right , The squad of Qld police traveling in a motorhome are part of a Drink driving / drug driving apprehension initiative in conduction with the dept of transport inspectors , They were set up west bound from Longreach the w/end just gone . All traffic coming from east and west is /was pulled over , licence check , breath test , drug test if suspected , rego check , dept of transport inspector does a cursory inspection ,,,, EVERY vehicle day and night for 72 plus hrs , the police 'motorhome' is used for accommodation for some of the boys in blue drawn from different areas of the state while seconded for the traveling operation …...
FollowupID: 840249

Reply By: garrycol - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 11:43

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 11:43
I have a small 4wd that only has a cruising speed of 65kph. I have to drive on 110kph roads as well as 100kph country roads. I try to do the right thing and keep to the left, often breaking the law myself driving on the left on the little bit of bitumen that push bikes ride on the left of the road. However I only do it when it is safe and if it is not I will hold up traffic - is a fact of life - I am not unreasonably holding traffic up. Even when there is not space to move off the road when I keep left on the carriageway I am so small that there is normally room for a normal sized car to overtake without going to the wrong side of the road.

HOWEVER on 100kph single lane highways I when I keep to the left I find most vehicles will not pass until there is an overtaking lane so in reality it is not me holding the traffic up. Trucks seem to overtake but many cars seem reluctant to do so.

I have seen a similar thing with caravans - sure some hog the road but even when they do the right thing many following cars seem reluctant to do the same thing.

With the exception of a couple of roads in WA where there are laws about minimum speed there is no where else where this applies in the rest of Aust. The situation in the OP would have been for unreasonably obstructing/holding up traffic and this law applies everywhere. If you took such a ticket to court the police would have to show and prove that you were unreasonably holding up traffic - examples etc would be needed - a long stream of traffic in itself would not be evidence. Of course is it worth challenging such a ticket but if you did, it would most likely be dropped.
AnswerID: 554190

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 13:30

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 13:30
The evidence would be interesting to see. It could make a good strt to an Abbott and Costello routine. I am thinking of their baseball team routine - priceless!!!

Interested - What kind of car are you talking about Garry?

Phil
FollowupID: 840199

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 16:02

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 16:02
Queensland police are not busting the motorists not keeping up to the speed limit.

Here is what is happening.

There is a big difference between what the OP reported and what motorists are actually getting busted for.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 554210

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, May 25, 2015 at 16:03

Monday, May 25, 2015 at 16:03
ps. there are a lot of other myths dealt with on that site.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840215

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 05:07

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 05:07
Thank you all & thank you Slow One
I point out that I towed my first caravan in 1967 when I visited NZ. The van was 14' 4 berth and the car was a Vauxhall Victor 3 speed manual.
The law of the land in NZ was that "if a vehicle had 5 or more vehicles behind it then the vehicle holding up the traffic HAD to pull over, until all traffic had passed".
I would also point out that I was a Sales representative in NSW & Qld for 50 years driving on country roads both sealed and dirt. I travelled about 100,000 km per year.
I believe (I know I'm big headed) that I understand road, traffic and weather conditions better than most.
But I do sincerly thank you all
Regards
Stay well & stay safe
Regards
OeteM (Qld)

AnswerID: 554231

Sponsored Links