Tanami Track conditions

Hi all, I am heading up the track in 2 weeks time & was wondering if any members know of the current conditions. Will be going up from Alice Springs in a Nissan Navara . I believe there has been a fair bit of rain & was just wondering. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PatrollingOz - Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 11:57

Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 11:57
Hi yabulu,

I have travelled the section between Halls Creek and Balgo Community about 6-7 times in the last few weeks. That section of the road is in good condition, probably the best in the last 5 years of so. Halls Creek to Wolf Creek Creator was graded approximately 5-6 weeks ago and Wolf Creek Creator to Balgo about 4 weeks ago.

Of course there are corrugations, but this is to be expected. When I last went down the road, it was fast flowing, no huge holes or washouts. Just have to be careful at this time of year, there are some narrow corners and the traffic is building due to the tourist's rolling in.

There hasn't been rain for quite a while now and the road is completely dry. The wet season wasn't great this year.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nathan.
AnswerID: 554330

Follow Up By: yabulu - Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 21:42

Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 21:42
Thanks for the report I am looking forward to the trip Cheers, Denis
FollowupID: 840420

Reply By: Member - Sharon A1 - Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 14:43

Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 14:43
We came down the Tanami last weekend. The track was fine except for the usual rocky section at the Halls Creek end. The section south of the Granites mine is the most corrugated and cut up due to heavy trucks using it.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 554333

Sponsored Links