Comment: Bowra Station stopover

Hello Jim - good pictures (as always). By the way that's a black-winged stilt - not an avocet. We get heaps of both over this way in WA. Have fun.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 18:35

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 18:35
Greg
Oops. yes you are correct. My ID skills sway between hopeless and just plain wrong. Glad you liked the photos. More to follow, its what we do. If you like birds, go to
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_bendon_1957/
The plan is, travel and post. See what happens
Liking Bowra, will post some more after todays effort
And thanks for responding, lots of looks and few responses so far
AnswerID: 554307

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 18:51

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 18:51
No worries Jim,

I have been into birds since I was a young fella and that was over 40 years ago. Great to see others with similar interests. It can be a challenge to ID them especially for first encounters. I personally would fail if I headed east - reasonably good with all the WA ones.

I have tried (a little bit) to get into photographing birds but they move too fast so until I get a bit more time and patience will stick to large hills and animals without wings ..and looking at other peoples pictures.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 840350

Follow Up By: case h - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 19:51

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 19:51
Hi Greg,

Another small correction.The Spiny cheeked is of course a honeyeater belonging to the family Acanthagenys. All wattlebirds belong to the family Anthochaera.
But thain again I am a bird nerd and according to my family totally obsessed with birdwatching.

Great hobby. Enjoy and thanks for posting.

cheers, Case
FollowupID: 840353

Follow Up By: Member - Jim B8 - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 20:18

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 20:18
Case
thanks for the ID help
Jim
FollowupID: 840354

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 20:44

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 20:44
Hi...

Another small correction ...Acanthagenys and Anthochaera are genus names ..not family names :)

The spiny cheeked honeyeater is in the same family as all honeyeaters ..including wattlebirds (Meliphagidae).

Didn't bother mentioning the use of "wattlebird" for the spiny-cheeked honeyeater as being slightly incorrect in my original post as didn't want to appear too pendantic but looks like I have now :)

Keep on birding..

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 840356

Follow Up By: Member - Jim B8 - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 21:24

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 21:24
Its complicated, glad I just press the button. I have many unknowns on my flickr page if you ever get bored?
FollowupID: 840358

Follow Up By: case h - Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 05:44

Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 05:44
Hi Jim

It's complicated alright.
Been birding for over 50 years and still learning. Did not want to confuse you too much and go into detail.

Thanks for your link to the flickr page. You got some awesome photographs in there. Even though I go birding every day of my 6 months stay in Australia every year I am still jealous of some of your pics and will revisit the site.

Happy birding and enjoy.

cheers, case
FollowupID: 840365

Sponsored Links