trailblazer or engel

just wondering has anybody had experience with trailblazer units
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 12:40

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 12:40
I had 2 trailblazers. A 60 and a 100 litre. Excellent quality. They are heavy though due to the marine grade aluminium used in construction. Very efficient. The 60 litre I had for about 10 years and sold it to a mate as I wanted a 100 litre. Had the 100 litre for about 4 years before selling it when I moved to Cairns as my big camping trips are a thing of the past. Ideal for the back of a ute or trailer. Bigger than an engel. I did have to buy a 240volt pack as mine died after a few years. Apart from that all good. If I was just doing weekend trips probably go for an engel being lighter to lift in and out of a car. Big trips or seeing Australia and the fridge/freezer was a permanent fixture, I would definitely go the trailblazer again. Freezes well too. Probably uses about the same amount of power as an engel(60 litre)..100 litre used a bit of power, but it was the drinks fridge for boys out fishing!!! Heaps more solid than an engel or weako.
AnswerID: 554368

Follow Up By: john m85 - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 15:49

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 15:49
thanks for the info I am looking at doing some big trips i think a 60 litre should do the job
FollowupID: 840465

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 12:52

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 12:52
I have only had my 70 litre Trailblazer for about 25 years so have had some experience with it. Yes, it is heavy and takes up a bit of room. It is well insulated and strongly made.I have had to replace the compressor twice, once my fault. I have had no reason to replace it. No experience with Engles but you don't need a cover as you do with the Engle.
AnswerID: 554373

Follow Up By: john m85 - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 15:56

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 15:56
having it for25 years that says it all they must be tough and well made
FollowupID: 840466

Reply By: Krooznalong - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 12:55

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 12:55
Had a Trailblazer for well over 20 years.
Still made here in Australia.
Great backup service should anything go wrong - not that much does. Had one issue in the time I've owned it and that was easily fixed.
Yes they are heavy so not the fridge to get if you want/need to lift it in and out each day (unless you're built like The Rock!
12v + 240v - cool on 240 before a trip. Works a treat.
AnswerID: 554374

Reply By: M&N's - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 16:53

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 16:53
Yep trailblazer all the way brought it early 1994 been all over and so far no problems touch wood what's that... no wood...it's all plastic.. bugger says I sitting in my rice burner Micky Oh by the way 60 litres with false floor freezer on bottom etc.
AnswerID: 554391

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 16:57

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 16:57
Bought a Trailblazer, about 50 or 60L, in late '80's, for use in a stock camp on a station, John.

Could switch it off at 8-9pm and it was still chilly cold at 5-6am. Didn't know about these dual battery systems back then. Had a bit of trouble with the controller, probably because of being hooked up to battery in reverse polarity. Otherwise all good, and would echo everyone else's thoughts re weight etc.

They will make you any size fridge you might want, if you need a one-off. They made a 100L unit, 240v only, for a mate that was doing contracting work on stations in NT & Qld.

We've also got an Engel 40L. Had it over 10 years with no problems, but it's a bit noisy and insulation is at a minimum. Probably ample for a fridge running off 2 x 120amphr batteries in a slide-on camper.

Case of if you have the room, and don't need to shift it, get the big T. Otherwise Engel.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554392

Reply By: tony_j - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 19:01

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 19:01
Hi John, I bought a second hand Trailblazer in 1999. It was 8 years old then. The compressor had a problem a couple of years later. I contacted the manufacturers and dropped it off for repairs. They said there was a batch of Danfoss compressors that had a winding problem. They replaced the motor, electronics, dryer and capillary, shipped it back to me within a week at No Charge!!! Said it was covered by warranty. Several years later when I installed a HF radio, the fridge was causing a bit of interference when it cut in. I finally contacted the manufacturers again ( after talking to everyone else) and they sent me a new power lead (that connects to the electronic control box) at NO CHARGE!!! Beat that for service!

I am so impressed with their product AND service, that when my son-in-law wanted a fridge - well, I sent him to Trailblazer. I still have and use my Trailbalzer - 20 odd years old now. Ugly as sin, heavy as, but if it is full and the battery goes flat, a beer is still cold 3 days later!

I cant sing there praises high enough. Not a relative or employee or reseller - just a happy Trailblazer owner.

An Engel may do what you want, but, has it got such good back-up? They are both about the same price and the Engel takes up less room, but is noisier. You choice in the end. I'm sure you'll be happy with either.
Tony
AnswerID: 554401

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 19:39

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 19:39
I have had my 80 ltr. Trailblaza for about 18 years and it has never had the slightest thing go wrong with it.
It is permanently "hard wired" in the back of the 60 series L/C, switchable to 200 ah car auxiliary battery, 450 ah caravan battery, solar or 240 V.

I can`t comment on other brands as I have never owned any.

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 554404

Follow Up By: john m85 - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 21:00

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 21:00
hi scrubby its good to no that you have had no trouble I to have a 60 series, is your trailblaza in the wagon permanent
FollowupID: 840475

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Friday, May 29, 2015 at 21:50

Friday, May 29, 2015 at 21:50
Yes John I made a cabinet with a fridge slide, there is a gap of about 30mm each side of the fridge and about 50mm above, a small fan is inside the compressor compartment of the fridge and two larger fans are in the rear of the cabinet, the fans provide plenty of air flow past both sides and top, the fans run only while the fridge runs. A control panel with charger switches, outlet power sockets,deep freeze,solar switch, etc,etc, is at the side
I removed all of the rear seat and made a floor for the rear the same height as the back compartment, a 75 ltr water bladder lays on the floor under the new floor, there is also room for awning poles under there as well.
I have done a lot of outback rough stuff with this setup and the only drama was when the Tailgate Lock stuffed up and there was no access to the fridge.
Don`t tell anyone, but I found you can open the locked tailgate with a 10mm spanner and a screwdriver.

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 840477

Follow Up By: john m85 - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 20:47

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 20:47
sounds like you have a good set up does the fridge come with 3 fans or is it something you put in yourself
FollowupID: 840527

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 21:57

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 21:57
I bought the fridge standard and then made the control panel to provide the ability to use different power sources.
Because the fridge requires air flow to the exterior surfaces I fitted the three fans to make sure it worked well while inside the cabinet.

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 840530

Sponsored Links