OzTent RV4 Tagalong Tent?

Submitted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 14:50
ThreadID: 119046 Views:2994 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We use an RV4 with the side & front panels and have been thinking of buying a second for the kids (girls aged 11 & 14) - they had been using our old tent which has now been put in the bin. We noticed some families appear to use 2 of these tents facing one another and connected at the awning with the side panels sealing it all off and thought we'd like to achieve that for our upcoming Ningaloo trip. I've just been checking pricing on the internet and noticed OzTent sell the "Tagalong Tent" which appears to have been designed exactly for this purpose, but it must be new, I've not noticed it before. At half the price to achieve the same goal it seems a no-brainer but I note it does not have a frame so is not a standalone tent. The only drawback I can see is if we wanted to use the 2 tents independently but I can't see that happening. If we wanted to use only 1 - we'd use the one RV4. If 2 - put them together. The sealed off centre annexe works great as a communal area and place to store pantry/food and help secure against wind etc.

Any owners out there with the Tagalong that can comment if they're happy with their purchase? It would be great to save the money but don't want to miss out something obvious I haven't thought of. I'm not sure how many more trips we'll have with both the kids so the appeal is having a great solution for 4 but without the expense. Thanks in advance.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 15:01

Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 15:01
I should clarify my concerns are that without the frame, what helps hold the tent strong during winds - particularly at the corners, in sand, does it lift up and become annoying when trying to sleep etc? What about the roof and walls - without the frame there is no structural integrity to hold it firm against the weight of rain and when buffeted with wind. As we'll be using it predominantly for beach camping in Ningaloo - these are very likely circumstances.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 554428

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 16:03

Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 16:03
We bought it yesterday. Comes with poles for exterior, so all good on that front but it doesn't have the extra length that the RV4 has and is based on the RV3 length so beds need to be made up the other way to the way we usually do them. As a result, we've decided the kids will sleep in our RV4 (2x singles pushed to side with room between to walk and not kick) and we'll put our Queen mattress in the new tagalong, which has just enough room to to room on one side and one end to put feet. Got it in our local camping store for $100 less than what I saw it advertised on the web on other stores and its less than half the price of buying a complete RV4 tent. Happy camper :)
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 554492

Follow Up By: Member - Tony&Jac - Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 21:14

Monday, Jun 01, 2015 at 21:14
Michelle, we have the RV4 and Tagalong.

Where the Poles go, there is also a tab with a loop that you should hook over the spike of the poles. For me it wasn't obvious at first what these were for. This helps support the weight of the tagalong especially if there is wind. It is definitely needed in wind, as without it the rear ridge pole may tear the ridge pole away from the main tent.

Like you we wish it was a bit deeper, but it works well with the main tent. We have some mesh floor between the 2 tents which give a cleanish area to put shoes on and off.

We like the look of it when it's fully up especially with the central awning suported by extra poles to give it the right shape. It just looks right.

Enjoy
FollowupID: 840597

Sponsored Links