Diesel fuel... ethanol or not

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 15:55
ThreadID: 11906 Views:3233 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
After a trip from Canberra to Parkes returning via the Blue Mountains and south coast i am now totallyamazed in the difference in performance in fuels. I used to use Woolworths diesel because I could get plenty of 4 cent vouchers. Then Coles & Shell got into discounting and I now use Shell. I have to my amazement discovered that the Shell gives me far more power that I can only measure by throttle position and an increase in economy that is stagering.. with woolies I could get an average of around 5-7 km / litre with Shell im getting around 8-9 km/litre. Both of these while towing my Van. Maybe despite woolies claims their fuel is somehow inferior or contains ethanol.. I just dont know ... maybe someone on the forum has some inside knowledge.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 16:13

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 16:13
I also use shell, and have noticed FAR better fuel economy with it, costs more, but who cares, car is happier, wallet is fatter.

YMMV
AnswerID: 53559

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 16:29

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 16:29
I find it costs about the same...plus I get a double whamy with "award" points... buy on my plastic card & flash the flybuys.. so many points that for my trip to FNQ in June I have so many points that I'm gonna trade them for a Caltex card.... I'm still curious as to why it makes such a difference.
FollowupID: 315248

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 18:06

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 18:06
After using Ampol (caltex) diesel I must say there is a difference. I notice it with the amount of smoke I pollute the atmosphere with! Ampol is cheap and half way between work and home (with no other fuel stops in my 45min drive!!) so it is always easy to go there, however after a few weeks of filling up there I start producing lots'o smoke. Go back to BP for a few tanks and whamo she barley puffs at all... you gotta wonder... I had not used shell because of a bad experience running my bike on their "premium" which was just total crap. But if there diesel is good, might be worth a try!
AnswerID: 53572

Reply By: Paul1 - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 19:19

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 19:19
I totally agree. I have been using the same discount petrol station for years now and have noticed a drop in performance, and consequently ks per tank on standard unleaded, since Woolworths and Shell started discounting. I get the same poor performance from Caltex, but good results from Shell ULP and Optimax and BP.

Isn't there some government body that govern the quality of fuel?
Paul
AnswerID: 53586

Follow Up By: uppy - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:15

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:15
Hi Paul, I put a posting on earlier this year regarding pulp ,I totally agree with you.I ve got a 4.2 petrol patrol efi and with the optimax I get better milage per tank up to 650 to 700 on a very good day on the open road around town 500-550
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 315319

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:06

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:06
Yep ... I agree. I started using Woolies for petrol in December last year after using BP exclusively for the previous 2 years.

The difference came about gradually, to the point where my petrol Jack was beaten off the mark by Tdi Disco. Not trying to discredit the Disco, but something was drastically wrong with my vehicle.

Ran fuel injector cleaner concentrate through the system, started filling up with Shell or BP (depending on the day's price) and over the next few fills, the perfomance improvement was there. I'm now looking for a rematch with that Disco.

AnswerID: 53599

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:18

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:18
After my original post I've been doing some research. Shell, Caltex & BP have tech data sheets that I downloaded. Wool worths have yet to answer my query..."is there any ethanol in woolworths petrol or diesel". Caltex states quite clearly that they sell ethanol blends thru Bogas and BP and Shell also sell blends but they are clearly labled. Phoned my diesel mech who says that Ethanol in diesel in very small amounts 0.01% is benificial re algae but in larger doses does cause loss of power and corrosion.
AnswerID: 53603

Reply By: ianmc - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 21:57

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 21:57
I have used Safeway & other discount voucher fuels in 2.5td Triton & recently tried
Shell. The motor seems noisier, more clatter all the time around town but it is going well & economy is good so maybe its putting out more KW's.
AnswerID: 53629

Reply By: Trent - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:06

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:06
you'll find the poor performing fuel has a low API, which is a measure of the useable energy in the fuel. Diesels are particulary sensitive to the energy level in the fuel. In Australia, we traditionally run crappier fuel than what the engines were designed for. As a rule, Shell Mobil, and BP, were all pretty good with BP usually setting the standard. Wouldn't touch discounted fuel servo's or many of the supermarkets if you broke both my arms. Never had much success with them. As to the contents of the fuel, I'd be interested to learn more as well

Cheers
AnswerID: 53650

Follow Up By: Davoe - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:46

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:46
I always thought fuel came from the same place but judging from these posts maybe not. I was comuting between Kalgoorlie and leinster for work (800k roubnd trip) and filling up both tanks to take advantage of woolies cheap fuel in Kal (dont need to fill up in leinster) and my wagon has been smoking like that tassie polly . The most likly reason is injectors but now coles has got on board with shell in this Wait Awhile state with the cheap fuel I will give it a go on my Easter sojurn this arvo (Thomas river 120k east of Esperance)
FollowupID: 315355

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 19:25

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 19:25
I thought in WA everything came from the sole (BP) refinery in Kwinana, just re-branded, with the exception of some imported stuff which the independants sell.
Gerry
FollowupID: 315886

Reply By: Stephen K - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:01

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:01
Funny how different vehicles respond to different fuels.I have used Woolies fuel often in my TD Jackeroo and found it way down on power and economy,wont be using it any more.Mobil down on power but good economy.Caltex,good power and economy and Shell ,good power and economy 9.4l/100k so I guess fuels aint fuels.
AnswerID: 53709

Sponsored Links