Do You Cheat ? - I did and I don't care !

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 12:56
ThreadID: 119082 Views:2978 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
White Springs Hill near Big Desert state forrest in Victoria has always been an issue for me.

The sand on this big sandhill always seemed just a little to soft and despite previous summer visits I never made it right to the top.

Big Red etc have always seemed easy by comparison.

So on our recent desert trip I had organized to spent 4 days in the area with mostly a group of kids (sub 25) and what an interesting trip it turned out to be.
We had motocross bikes as well as the 4 cars.

For the whole time over previous the weekend we did not see or hear a single other vehicle and the weather was cold but sunny
and fine, firewood was lying all around, you could shoot the rabbits and let the dog loose , whats the word Nirvana !

I tried hard not to be giving the kids advice all the time and watched to see how things were done with this group and by and large
I thought it a success.

Many would criticize the kids for burning about 50 cans in the fire but I praised them for checking that they were truly gone the next morning.

The first day at the hill I tried a slow approach and struggled up about 3/4 of the way.

Next day we came back with the bikes as well and our best bike went straight up , although all the others failed.

I decided that the Patrol couldn't be defeated by a mere 2 stroke and the tyres went straight to 14psi.
For the first time ever out here I was running my 33" ST-Maxx tyres and the sand was damp and heavy.

I had deliberately made this trip in winter to maximize our chances but it was the coldest morning I have ever experienced camping.
Not only was it -7c but it was 0c at 8pm the night before and the cold was locked it, freezing even water inside a plastic 20lt container.

The girls forever thanked me for the new toilet seat and tent !

Still this was a serious big hill and only total commitment would do , and so as we swung around for the attack I clicked in the lockers
set the auto transmission for 2nd low, switched the engine mode to snow, so as to limit any sudden loss of traction induced wheel spin
and let the power of the 4.8lt Patrol loose.

"Oh and I chucked out the passengers ".

Up we went , but the track was rough and ruts were deep and they tossed the car around but the power was there and she didn't even drop a gear.
A bit of locker induced understeer was ther but steering was ok in the sand.

At the top is a twist and it usually bogs you , she did hesitate but caught traction again and pushed through the last few meters.

We were there , and didn't it feel good , another off the bucket list !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:32

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 13:32
Why do you call it cheating ? Its a track that requires 4x4 so why not use lockers etc , is it cheating ? Nah , its using whats available , hill decent ,crawl control etc all just make the impossible , possible.
AnswerID: 554560

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:09

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:09
I was going to use another title Alloy but of all things we got home tuesday night and while unpacking the car I had TV on.

They were showing an episode of Your 4X4 and believe it or not it was the Big Desert trip and damm if they weren't at the same hill.

Now under the title "The 5 o'clock track" they spent 2 hrs there on dusk trying everything to get their cars up and failed.
Now they had all their gear even rooftop tents etc.

I figured that this was one tough sandhill and simply did everything I could to beat it and had unpacked maybe 200kg of junk at our nearby camp.

I.E. My attitude was that I wasn't going to give the hill and even break to get me !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840688

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:23

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:23
Certainly looks like a big sand hill...deep looking ruts as well..

Is this in a state forest...or private land ??
AnswerID: 554563

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:39

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:39
Its state forrest Gronk , well known and on Vic Deserts map , even the track to it is called White Springs Track.

Not the highest , but pretty mean if you catch it on a bad day !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840690

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 19:48

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 19:48
Unregistered motocross bikes are illegal in NSW forests....how's the laws down in Mexico ??
FollowupID: 840702

Follow Up By: Dave Trees - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 22:51

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 22:51
They're illegal in State Forests in Victoria too .....
FollowupID: 840706

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 09:37

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 09:37
We have a really good setup here in Vic which is called recreational registration and it allows you to ride on minor roads and tracks bikes have to have nothing much more than a horn and taillights and costs only $76.70 to register hence I have 3 current bikes.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840713

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 10:30

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 10:30
I've heard about that sort of thing before.....do you have to display anything ? or just need to carry a rego paper ?

At least it covers you if one of the bikes decides to attack the front of a vehicle !! lol

How do you differentiate between a minor and major road ? Anything off the tar I suppose ?
FollowupID: 840717

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:16

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:16
Nothing you have to display or carry other than numberplate.

All roads in Victoria have a classification number which classifies them as freeway / highway/ tourist / 4wd etc etc.
This number is seperate from there name or number displayed on road signs.

Its not entirely dirt roads only , and there have been a few cases of people being booked riding last km or 2 into a town to fill up but overall its a pretty good scheme .

Supposed to cover you anywhere for injury.

I used it to ride across the Simpson , but not 100% sure of legality there, but think was ok.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840722

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 22:31

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 22:31
Gents, another little condition of Rec Reg in Victoria is that you've got to have an appropriate motorcycle licence or learner permit to ride a motorcycle with Rec Reg and the bike can only be of the cc's etc allowed for your type of licence (ie 250cc restriction for Learners etc).

As far as 'where' is concerned, from the VicRoads website;

Recreation motorcycles are only permitted to be operated on roads (except declared freeways and arterial roads, including roads formerly designated as forest roads, under the Road Management Act 2004) that are:

located outside "built up areas" as defined by speed zones of less than 100 km/h, or

those areas that are not a road and are solely for the training and assessment of a holder of a motorcycle learner permit by an organisation approved by VicRoads for that purpose.

the vehicle must not carry any load or a person other than the rider

the rider must wear a protective helmet of the type approved under the Road Rules Victoria.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 840743

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:27

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 14:27
They can't take that one off you. That looks like a beast of a hill. It's always the wombat holes left by failed attempts that make it more difficult and that's where lockers are king. Right motor for the job too, well done.
AnswerID: 554564

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 17:23

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 17:23
I did however cheat gbc , and maybe a 4800 patrol is double cheating ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840692

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:43

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 18:43
If it is not driveable unlocked then hitting those 3 little switches is just the cover charge you pay to play with the big kids. Likewise the fuel tax you pay upfront to have all those extra ponies to kick every once in a while ;)
Definitely not cheating, more like making the most of your options. You just happen to have a couple more on board than the average punter.
FollowupID: 840696

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 15:15

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 15:15
yep , have had a couple of goes at it ,and never got more than 3/4
of the way up with standard patrol ,
well done
mechpete
AnswerID: 554566

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 19:47

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 19:47
It can be a tough one when sand is soft Pete so thats why I cheated and went in winter - however there was a 50m long section just before it covered in water so access wasn't that easy.

Good to know these places still exist , and not to far from Shep.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 840701

Reply By: Moke Spider - Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 16:42

Thursday, Jun 04, 2015 at 16:42
Cheating?

I guess it depends what you're going out there for.

Not cheating at all to me, I just love being out there (just about) anywhere amongst it!
AnswerID: 554569

Reply By: duck - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 08:15

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 08:15
If your cheating I must have cheated too , I know the track and my tires are down to 10-12 psi at 18psi the TD4.2 patrol would just dig holes & i don't think the new truck would make it (Isuzu nps 300) it hates the sand
AnswerID: 554583

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 21:51

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 21:51
Well done on making the beginners practice hill Robin. Now you can add the middle track on Thompson's Peak to your Bucket list then build up to the left hand option on Big K lookout. As you say all harder than Big Red!
Last weekend the boys were actually driving the left option at the top of White Springs (Original track) which is no mean effort making the turn without losing speed.

Cheers Craig......
AnswerID: 555835

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 00:18

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 00:18
Hi Robin,

Am a bit concerned about your motor bike riders!!! You got a 4x4 up a hill and not a motorbike. Me thinks some rider training is in order!

Cheers mate

Captain
AnswerID: 555839

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 10:49

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 10:49
Riding on steep soft rutted sand is an acquired skill. Last week even the experts up the Big Desert were regularly falling off.
FollowupID: 841959

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:54

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:54
Yeah, just a friendly dig at Robin :) As a regular rider in Sandgroper country I know the challenges of soft sand!!! Currently I do far more offroad riding than 4x4 and if a 4x4 can get there, a bike should do it relatively easily ;)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 841967

Sponsored Links