Which mapping system to buy?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:42
ThreadID: 119093 Views:2935 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Being "grey nomads in training" we have the tug and the tow (Prado "Shorty" and a 14' off road caravan) and are getting a few short (2-4 weeks) trips per year under our belt. Fathers day is approaching and I want to suggest that I get a decent mapping system. We have iPads and iPhones so would like to make use of what we have. What are the suggestions from members about whether we go Hema, EOtopo, or whatever else is around?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:47

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 11:47
Oziexplorer with any maps you wish. We have all the Hema maps and bundles (Gbytes) of shonky, Festy etc maos that are free.

We also don't use any "smart" devices like iPhones, pads or tablets. Not even a laptop in the car. All navigation is done through a VMS box installed in the dash and integrated with the car's wiring including a rear view camera. Back is a compas and paper maps.
AnswerID: 554598

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 12:17

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 12:17
Hi

Unfortunately there is no iOS (Apple) version of OziExplorer.

Options that would best suit OP based on his desire to use his existing hardware would include the following GPS Mapping software products..

Hema Explorer
Hema 4WD Maps (a version of MemoryMap)
MemoryMap
TwoNav
MudMap

..which all have iOS versions. I think the only ones that allow use of EoTopo (a map product, not a mapping (software) product) would be Hema 4WD Maps, MemoryMap and with some messing around TwoNav and possibly MudMap.

No idea what would be best in these specific circumstances.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 840725

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 12:52

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 12:52
Fair enough Greg. I know nothing about these devices.
FollowupID: 840727

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:07

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:07
Greg I think Ozi is also able to use the EoTopo map. Michael would be able to confirm that. He was trying to get me to give it a try in the VMS box but I really have enough maps and don't want any more at that resolution. I will drop him an email to find out.
FollowupID: 840728

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:13

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:13
No need to call. Ozi does read the EoTopo map files. A version of EoTopo comes in ozf4 format as part of the standard package.
FollowupID: 840729

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:18

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:18
...My comments related only to iOS mapping products.EOTopo does of course work with OziExplorer ...but OziExplorer doesn't work with iOS...so it didn't rate a mention in my dialogue.

By the way you can use a variety of formats in OziExplorer ..not just OZF4. ECW and a range of other formats also work (though in some cases it is hardware dependent).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 840730

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:25

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:25
I just realised what you said. Ozi wont run on those devices. Ooops. Now I see your post. My bad.

I am well acquainted with Ozi and wouldn't swap for any other. Luckily I am not the faintest bit interested in any mobile device, so I can stick with Ozi. The advantage of not needing to keep up with that's "trending".

Cheers
FollowupID: 840731

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:53

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 13:53
Have Hema maps on my iPad and find it suits me. Also have Hema Explorer too, but still scratching my head about that one. :-)

Plenty of maps on the Hema system, though a few lack some detail. The Great Desert Tracks are the most useful for me.

Just need the 3G/wifi model iPad, if you want the gps to work.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554604

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 10:51

Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 10:51
Yeah, Hema maps carry a lot of useful info but the scale is small and there are a number of out-of-date problems.
FollowupID: 840750

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 12:32

Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 12:32
Maybe that's why the Hema maps suit me, Sigmund. I've got a few out of date problems too. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 840752

Reply By: peterdre - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 14:23

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 14:23
Keep it simple....we use Memory-Maps and Wikicamps, both very low cost and we find them excellent. Put them on your iPad for best viewing.
AnswerID: 554609

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 14:48

Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 14:48
Memory map works on any pc, android or ios device. I reckon its the best by a long way. Nice maps and great planning app for pc
FollowupID: 840754

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 15:05

Friday, Jun 05, 2015 at 15:05
Hi Kenroconn

For off-line GPS navigation on your iPad (and iPhone), I highly recommend Hema's 4WD Maps product. I have it and find it terrific for being certain that we are turning onto the track we want. I don't have Hema Explorer and have been tempted to buy it for the POIs but am not certain of its value. We also have Wikimaps.

If you feel generous, then buy the Hema Navigator HN7. I have an earlier version and enjoy having it. It is so much more convenient to have it attached to windscreen than to constantly have the iPad on my lap. However, the HN7 is a much bigger investment and the Hema offline GPS navigation on iPad serves the purpose well.

All the best.
Megan
AnswerID: 554611

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 15:37

Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 15:37
Get yourself a dash or windscreen mount for the ipad Meagan, just put a small block of packing foam under the arm.
I have these 2 types . . .

Arkon TAB178
A little light for VERY rough stuff, but if arm supported is pretty good.

TABBP070
Very heavy duty, but is shown to go on screen, I am trying to keep everything on the dash.

The little MG15 iphone 5 holder is superb.
FollowupID: 840755

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 10:56

Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 10:56
There are digital maps - quite a few now.
There is the s/w needed to work with them.
There is the h/w needed to run the s/w.

Best to start with what kind of maps you need: scale particularly, topo or not, purpose (determines how much more data than geo features is included), scope (whole country or just a selection).

Then do you want auto-routing with maps for off-road.
AnswerID: 554637

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 16:29

Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 16:29
To add re hardware, IME nothing up to and inc. a 7" screen is much good for getting an overview, so I take paper maps mainly for that and 25 k digital topos for route finding on foot or wheels.
FollowupID: 840759

Reply By: GarryR - Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 12:23

Saturday, Jun 06, 2015 at 12:23
I run an ipad air2 with both hema and mudmaps on it. I normally use paper and compass but the cook has wanted to do her own thing, hence the ipad and she loves it. I still keep paper maps with me in case digital goes down. No complaints from the better half any more.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554642

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 07:05

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 07:05
Hema make Hema Explorer and Hema 4wd maps for the Ipad. Hema App comparison

The Explorer is best if you have a preference on social media and sharing. Maps are limited and extra. Also you need phone reception for it to work properly. It doesn't get a good wrap from most 4wd and camper users.

The 4wd maps doesn't need phone reception and has the full suit of Hema maps. It's $99 for 1 Ipad. It's actually the Memory Map off road app ( 99c) plus the full Hema Map set bundled together. Hema maps on Memory Map

If you go this way the Hema Maps are $79USD, about $100 BUT you get a licence for 2 mobile devices. ( Ipad and phone?). Plus you can download the fantastic free Austopo 250K map which is very very very similar to the EO topo map. Or you can buy the Memory Map version of EO topo map and run it, or tons of other maps with fantastic detail, even Marine maps.

If you buy the PC plus mobile version ( about $145) then you can run the maps on your PC which is brilliant for planning at home ( 3d maps, height and distance data, download User and EO trecks from EO and 4x4earth etc).

As to Mud Mup, go check the feedback from existing ( or previously existing) users on 4wd and caravan forums before you pay any money. Their support has a lot to be desired apparently and it's main map uses the otherwise free Open Street Maps which are inaccurate to the point of being dangerous in remote areas. Great in well populated and busy areas though. THE OSM website has a warning not to use it for remote navigation. No such warning on Mudmaps website which copies it. Erggh. Also check their terms of use. They own your tracks, notes and waypoints, not you and they can use them for any purpose they chose.

Another choice is an in dash unit like this It has onroad mapping, off road mapping ( Oziexplorer) and replaces the Toyota unit. That may be an option.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 554682

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 11:45

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 11:45
Please just be aware that that Austopo map is actually a rebranded Natmap 2008 with POIs added. It has a scale of 1:250,000. The actual mapping layers have not been updated. EOTopo at scale 1:200,000 and has undergone some significant updates pertinent to roads/tracks accuracy.

What we tend to find is the Apple device users that want EOTopo maps use Memory-Map as their mapping solution and from there you have access as an in-app purchase to your maps including EOTopo.

If you move away from Apple devices you have more choice. OziExplorer is by far the most popular mapping software solution for PC users and the Android system is great for tablet and phone users - better if you get the EOZi skin to make touchscreen operation easier. This skin enables you to replicate operations much like a Hema Navigator.

If you would prefer to avoid Apple devices, and want a really simple plug and play solution the Hema HN7 is ideal. This devices has OziExplorer built into it with a touchscreen skin interface called EziOzi. The difference is that the HN7 is not able to be connected to the internet - so can't be used for other things you could use your tablet or smartphone for.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 840804

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:11

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:11
Michelle,

Is there a list of the differences. I have both and for the life of me can't tell them apart. They even have exactly the same errors in some spots. LOL.

I can run then side by side in Memory Map and apart from smaller text on EO ( too small to read) and some clearer highlighting of park resources in some spots, and worse in others they are for all intensive purposes the same to me.

One thing that does appear on EO topo is a small camera icon in some locations. I recall that it was originally going to come with POI's etc aligned to EO online. That is the main reason I got it. Is that still in the works?
FollowupID: 840815

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 11:46

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 11:46
Please just be aware that that Austopo map is actually a rebranded Natmap 2008 with POIs added. It has a scale of 1:250,000. The actual mapping layers have not been updated. EOTopo at scale 1:200,000 and has undergone some significant updates pertinent to roads/tracks accuracy.

What we tend to find is the Apple device users that want EOTopo maps use Memory-Map as their mapping solution and from there you have access as an in-app purchase to your maps including EOTopo.

If you move away from Apple devices you have more choice. OziExplorer is by far the most popular mapping software solution for PC users and the Android system is great for tablet and phone users - better if you get the EOZi skin to make touchscreen operation easier. This skin enables you to replicate operations much like a Hema Navigator.

If you would prefer to avoid Apple devices, and want a really simple plug and play solution the Hema HN7 is ideal. This devices has OziExplorer built into it with a touchscreen skin interface called EziOzi. The difference is that the HN7 is not able to be connected to the internet - so can't be used for other things you could use your tablet or smartphone for.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 554695

Sponsored Links