Best towing vehicle for a 17.5ft caravan

Submitted: Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1191 Views:5768 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I'm intending to buy a 17ft van around 1400-1600 kilograms and intend spending most of the next decade touring. I can't decide on what type of vehicle would be best for towing. Advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Damien - Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00
Graham, i would definately recommend a turbo-diesel. There are a long list of vehicles in this catagory that i would recommend which include (in no particular order) Landcruiser, Prado, Jackaroo, Patrol & Pajero.
The Pajero is an interesting one, as the new 3.2TD is on its way (definately wouldn't go for the old 2.8) & it's supposed to be class leading in technology, power & torque.
You will need to make a decision on the size of vehicle you want i.e Landcruiser & Patrol are big heavy vehicles in comparison to the others.
From personal experience i can tell you that the 3.0L TD Jackaroo pulls a 21ft, 2+ Tonne caravan effortlessly, so i believe any of the 4wd's listed above will do the job for you.
AnswerID: 3800

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Graham, Do yourself a favour and test drive the new 3.2lt Pajero 5 speed auto. I road tested one yesterday and was amazed at the perfomance, handling and economy. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 1654

Reply By: Member - Ray - Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00

Graham,

I currently own a 2000 Land Rover Discovery TD5 which I use for both work and play. I have had the vehicle since new in November 2001 and have put 27,000kms on the clock with a mix of about 80/20% highway/off road.

I have nothing but praise for the Discovery. It is a good cruising vehicle on the black top and is very comfortable as it has many creature comforts including climate control, auto transmission, electric windows etc and I have been told that they make excellent towing vehicles.

The best feature of the vehicle is the TD5 engine which has ample power both on road and off, has the ability to cruise effortlessly at any highway speed but most of all it is extremely economical (approx 30-40mpg depending on usage).

I have owned a Toyota Landcruiser in the past and have driven police Landcruisers for manymiles and I dinf the Discovery to be a better vehicle for my uses.

Sure they have their little quirks like any thing else but you soon get use to them.

I think you would find the Discovery ideal for towing your van.
AnswerID: 3803

Follow Up By: Bob - Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00
Wow!!! Auto and electric windows - what luxury!! (tongue in cheek) I think you'll find most off roaders have these!! More important questions, how much fuel can you carry, how many seats, what is the likelihood of a breakdown, how's the departure and entry angles, how's the acceleration from 95kph for safe highway passing ..... the poor old Disco doesn't come up too well on nay of these!!
FollowupID: 1620

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 25, 2002 at 00:00
Well Bob the way I read Grahams inquiry was that he was looking for a towing vehicle. I made the assumption that he was clever enough to know how many seats he needed without having to ask anyone's advice. I also assumed that he wouldn't be towing a 17 ft caravan in places where approach and departure angles would be a large concern.

My first look into this forum was last night and it became apparent that it has become little more than a "bitch" column for the anti-Land Rover league. What a shame that objectivity seems to be lost to such a stage where a person cannot ask a legitimate question seeking an honest answer without being subjected to the type of childish nonsense!

I may become a member of the Anti-Land Rover Leage too if ever I have reason to but so far I have no complaints and if I ever do I hope I can maintain a balanced point of view without becoming a one-eyed, biased, bigoted windbag as some of the users of this forum seem to be.
FollowupID: 1624

Follow Up By: Damien - Monday, May 27, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 27, 2002 at 00:00
Well Ray, you've certainly formed an opinion very quickly about this forum. Perhaps it would be best, considering your views, to not bother coming back.
Bob's point about overtaking from 95Kmh is a very valid one, the TD5 just hasn't got the grunt to do this safely. In fact, you need a fair run-up to overtake at that speed without 1500Kg on the rear.
FollowupID: 1636

Reply By: Member - Ray - Friday, May 24, 2002 at 00:00

Graham,

I currently own a 2000 Land Rover Discovery TD5 which I use for both work and play. I have had the vehicle since new in November 2001 and have put 27,000kms on the clock with a mix of about 80/20% highway/off road.

I have nothing but praise for the Discovery. It is a good cruising vehicle on the black top and is very comfortable as it has many creature comforts including climate control, auto transmission, electric windows etc and I have been told that they make excellent towing vehicles.

The best feature of the vehicle is the TD5 engine which has ample power both on road and off, has the ability to cruise effortlessly at any highway speed but most of all it is extremely economical (approx 30-40mpg depending on usage).

I have owned a Toyota Landcruiser in the past and have driven police Landcruisers for manymiles and I dinf the Discovery to be a better vehicle for my uses.

Sure they have their little quirks like any thing else but you soon get use to them.

I think you would find the Discovery ideal for towing your van.
AnswerID: 3804

Sponsored Links