Mazda Bravo turbo oil leak

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 10:24
ThreadID: 119114 Views:7072 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello I own a mazda bravo b2500 turbo diesel ute. It's a 2001 model and has done just under 150000km.
It has developed an oil leak from the turbo. The whole turbo itself is covered in oil residue and has formed a drip off the hoses underneath the turbo. I have taken a good look at it this morning removing the air filter and taken off the front air intake into the turbo to find there is next to no oil in the turbo. Anyone have similar issues? Could anyone shed some light on what could possible be going on?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 13:11

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 13:11
hi mitchell H2
if the oil is black sooty type of oil then the following will be applicable

my mazda brave 1996 model fitted with after market safari turbo intercooler and snorkel developed very simular problems and i discovered the oil was coming from leaking exhaust valve guide oil seals first thing i did was i remove the exhaust manifold and found the exhaust ports were saturated with black oil so i then removed the engine head an replaced both intake and exhaust valve guide seals also did the valve seats and put it all back together no more problems
my engine is the old 2.5 ltr and yours is a 3ltr but if you do as i did its the quickest and cheapest way to confirm the above my problem occurred at 140000 km's
others may well say that i'm wrong and give some other reason
cheers barry
AnswerID: 554696

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 13:19

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 13:19
i'll also add that i thought it was my turbo but it had next to no oil in it and had it checked and ok'd by experts
the oil could also be leaking from under the valve cover seal but if it's black sooty oil it points more to the exhaust valve problem
cheers
FollowupID: 840807

Follow Up By: Mitchell H2 - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 14:05

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 14:05
Something to consider.
So even though there was no leakage from the exhaust manifold this could still cause a leak from my turbo housing?
But also not leave oil in my turbo?
If oil was coming in from the exhaust manifold into my turbo wouldn't that leave oil in my turbo? Also would it make your car smoke to due to the oil in the exhaust?
Also it's a 2.5L WL-T engine not a 3.0L.
FollowupID: 840810

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 22:14

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 22:14
sorry realized that both are the same engine
in my case there was no oil in the turbo either as i expected it to be and only the smell of oil burning when engine was hot
didn't see any smoke out the back
i looked at turbo oil feed pipe and fittings and return pipe back into side of sump all were ok and not leaking
it wasn't untill i removed the exhaust manifold bolts that i found the oil was coming past valve guide seals
FollowupID: 840832

Reply By: Hoyks - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:50

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:50
On the turbo there will be 2 banjo bolts for the turbo lubrication lines. I think one comes up from the oil cooler and into the top of turbo housing, and the other from memory, comes out the side will be a drain to somewhere.

If one of these bolts has become lose, then there will be oil on the turbo, but no leaking evident inside the turbo. It is more likely the leak will be on the pressurised line, rather than the drain.

As for taking the inlet hose off and inspecting there, there may be a bit of oil residue that comes through the engine breather, but because the turbo sucks air through here, there won't be much and the turbo impeller will be clean. You can check for shaft freeplay though, the shaft shouldn't have any up/down movement, but can have a few thou in out movement. If the wheel binds against the housing, then the turbo is stuffed.

You need to look in the outlet hose, as this will be where any oil gets blown, there is often a thin film here, but it shouldn't be dripping.

A leaky turbo is bad as if it leaks internally, then the engine gets fueled by the lubricating oil and becomes a runaway engine, which is catastrophic. If it does ever run away and turning off the key does nothing, pinch closed the hose after the air cleaner and the motor will die.
If it leaks externally, then the turbo is getting hot from exhaust gas and it can lead to a fire.
AnswerID: 554706

Follow Up By: Mitchell H2 - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 17:13

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 17:13
And the outlet hose goes into the inter cooler???
FollowupID: 840820

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 18:32

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 18:32
Yes, like I said, they may be a bit of black oil in there and it may weep past the clamp, but it shouldn't be dripping oil.
FollowupID: 840824

Follow Up By: Whirlwinder - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 19:16

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 19:16
It is also possible that the oil drain pipe from the turbo back to the crankcase is blocked or nearly blocked causing the incoming oil under engine pressure to go somewhere other than through the bearings and out the return pipe.
I would start with that idea as it happened on our Volvo 740 Turbo about 20 years ago.
Good luck and please post with the answer.
FollowupID: 840826

Sponsored Links