LPG BOTTLES

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 19:58
ThreadID: 11913 Views:2664 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I need to carry an extra lpg bottle in the nissan " rather on the nissan" and i am about to rework the rear kayman swing arm to take 2 jerry can's instead of one also have swing arm for the spare, in looking for a place for a small LGP bottle say 2.5k would the arm that carries the jerry can's suit, we already carry 2 lpg on the trailer however want to dump one of these so as to have room for another spare tire also the lpg would do a number of job's, for hot water shower, cooking when trailer is left behind and would be a reserve when the main is out, so really looking to see if it could be place on the rear of the Patrol next to fuel cans "ULP".
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baldrick - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:03

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:03
I believe it is now illegal to carry jerries externally, probably LPG too.
AnswerID: 53597

Follow Up By: 10 Para (Qld) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:41

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:41
If jerry cans are illegal what's kaymen and others doing still selling the product
FollowupID: 315287

Follow Up By: navaraman - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 21:10

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 21:10
NOt sure it s illegal to carry jerry cans of fuel.

Kaymen would say they are for carry water if it were illegal.
FollowupID: 315292

Reply By: Graham - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:18

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:18
10 Para,
Juist digressing a little, how do you find your camper. We are looking at going with the same model. e-mail alarmtecNOJUNKMAIL@hotkey.net.au

Thanks in advance
AnswerID: 53602

Follow Up By: 10 Para (Qld) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:34

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 20:34
Hi Graham it is just great have send you some snaps, we got it last Oct and have spent most of the last 5 months in it and still not tired of it just the people that keep asking the same old questions don't mind talking to them but like to get the tent up first, it has been a great hit in NZ the last few months and it has done every thing that we have asked of it.
Regards
FollowupID: 315286

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 21:32

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 21:32
10Para,

This subject comes uo at least once a month. Do an archive search.

I can send you a pic of my set up just for an idea. You can email me willem at kempen dot id dot au with your addy

Cheers
AnswerID: 53622

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 21:51

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 21:51
G'day 10Para,

If you have a double swingaway bar on the back and one of your wishes is to carry an extra spare tyre, why not ditch the jerry can swing-arm and get another wheel carrier swing-arm? I carry 2 spares like that on my Patrol, but my rear bar is a Opposite Lock, not a Karmar (I notice you and others are calling it a "Kayman" or "Kaymen".......I assume we are talking about the same type of set-up and it's just a spelling error??)
So, if you carry your extra wheel on the Patrol, then you will have the spare room on the camper to carry the gas bottle &/or jerry can/s. I also reckon you need to ask yourself; "how much fuel do I really need to carry?" I see from your profile that you have replaced both your standard tanks and have capacity for 215litres under the truck. Even on a petrol, that'll get you a fair way.
I used to carry 40 litres of diesel in the boot of our Ultimate, but realised that all I was really trying to do was buy fuel a bit cheaper in the bigger places and not have to pay high prices in remote places. I now carry jerrys of water instead. I have only replaced my main tank with the 145 litre job and sub is still only 33 litres.
Good luck,
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 53628

Follow Up By: 10 Para (Qld) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 22:22

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2004 at 22:22
Hi Roachie, yeh its a Karmar, i have a double and also carry 2 LPG bottles on the camper trailer we also have in the patrol a small stove that we use when away from the camper and it takes a small butane cylinders was looking to offload that and the stove from the patrol and when away from the camper use the stove that is in the camper its a 2 ring in the patrol as its can be used in both, if one of the gas bottle goes from the camper then i can carry the extra spare on the front of the camper, we have been getting about 2 weeks from a 4.5k bottle and i reckon that if i upgrade to a larger one and have say a small one on the Patrol say a 2.5k then that would be good, we use ULP and a lot of it so need to get up to 300 litres have just done some long runs in NZ and getting only about 4k per litre hence the double jerry cans on the rear water is not our problem as we have 180litres in the camper traile and 52 in the patrol, the idea with the jerry cans is that if we need to fill then we can if not they ride emty, some times in NZ when we were agaist the wind and going through some of the mountain passes i would just watch the petrol guage just drop and was glad that there was always a pump handy, not hte case here though.
regards
FollowupID: 315304

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 19:32

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 19:32
Hey Roachie.....I saw your letter to the Editor in 4WD Monthly. Fixed your fancy Nissan yet......:-))))))))
FollowupID: 315400

Follow Up By: Roachie - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:57

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:57
G'day Willem,
Not sure about it being "fancy" ol' mate; but she does the job.

As far as the over-warming goes, ; yeh I reckon I've cured that now with the gen-u-ine Nissan fan clutch. Works very well now and no more air-con "off-ages"...LOL

Cheers,

Roachie
FollowupID: 315648

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:47

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:47
We carry a 4kg bottle in a plastic crate on the roof rack & it works fine.
AnswerID: 53716

Sponsored Links