2005 Nissan Patrol DT4 DIESEL

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 10:32
ThreadID: 119147 Views:3308 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all was wondering if any one can give me any information on the above vehicle as my fiance and I are looking at buying one for a tow vehicle. We're looking at a 20-24' caravan as well and just want to know what the Nissan's are like in the way of fuel economy, performance, off road ability. Compared to that of a Toyota Landcruiser.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:07

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:07
G'day, I presume a DT4 is the 3 ltr diesel? If so, Google "Nissan Patrol hand grenade", you will find many answers to your question. Good luck
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 555810

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:13

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:13
hi Hamish T
i would suggest you go on the Nissan patrol forum as around that year model they were having a lot of engine problems with pistons melting and engines imploding they are not known as a very good tow vehicle or drive because of this and any nissan vehicle of that vintage could be a load of trouble for you especially trying to tow that size caravan
so be warned you would be far better off buying a pajero they are far more reliable and renown for being a great tug
cheers
AnswerID: 555811

Reply By: Rob 49 - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 13:19

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 13:19
Hi, as already said by others, sadly the 3ltr engine is a timebomb. The rest of the vehicle however is quite a reasonable on-roader/off-roader. The 6 cylinder version of about the same vintage is highly regarded as a capable vehicle but usually commands a much higher price.

Rob
I took the road less travelled........ and didn't see any-one.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 555813

Reply By: Oldbrowny - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 14:09

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 14:09
The 3litre was known as the grenade and yes a lot of them blew up but this was primarily the pre 2004 models, blows up in later years did still occur but a lot less frequent. CRD's are proving quite reliable. There is a range of mods that can be done to make them a less vulnerable to 'grenading' but this is no guarantee against a failure but you should feel comfortable purchasing a 2005 onward model if it has been well maintained.

Lot of people with no personal experience jump on the grenade bandwagon, so to balance the negative statements above, google Toyota D4D engine failures and you'll find the same amount of failures. In one magazine I read the other day they claimed the D4D was making the Patrol 3litre look very reliable. I have owned a 2005 Patrol and currently own a D4D Prado so am very familiar with both.

Would I recommend the 3litre Patrol as a tow vehicle? No. Auto is only rated to 2500KG and the manual, while it's rated to 3200KG the dual mass flywheel and clutch doesn't go very well for very long, and it's an expensive fix. I also have three mates that have towed biggish vans and each have had to replace the clutch at around 30 000km's. They are also thirsty when pushed. In the times I towed with mine, about 1200-1500kg's it got very tiresome changing up and down gears, especially in undulating country.

The truck weighs itself weighs nearly three ton on its own and its an awful big ask for a small motor on its own let alone adding another two or so ton to it. Jump on the Patrol 4x4 forum there is plenty of info there and people more familiar with the limits will answer your questions, just expect it to be a little biased as it a single make forum.

There were plenty of niggling problems that soured my experience with the Patrol, it was very uncomfortable around town, suffered from the infamous wheel wobble, chewed panhard bushes etc amongst a whole range of other things. There just always seemed something to repair or maintain on it.

My vote would be to try and get a 6 cylinder diesel Landcruiser, its going to be more comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient. You will pay more but it would be worth it.
AnswerID: 555814

Follow Up By: Notso - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 16:43

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 16:43
Yes it's an interesting thing with these 3.0 litre Nissans. I had the very first model Manual, 2000. Towed a van most of it's life, nothing too big, around 2.2 tonnes. Ended up doing 190,000 ks mostly towing, no clutch issues, no engine issues. Did have the 5th gear failure at 40,000, but perfect after the upgrade. Ended up selling it because all my friends reckoned it was going to blow up!

It was a great vehicle off road, nothing special for towing, but reasonable economy.
FollowupID: 841935

Follow Up By: Nifty1 - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 23:19

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 23:19
...and what a pleasure, to read a detailed but concise response from an actual owner that answers the question. Congratulations, Sir.
FollowupID: 841981

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 11:55

Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 11:55
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/nissan-patrol-gu-used-review-1997-2001-13320#.VXuL9kbBaH4

The same problems continued well past the dates here and even past 2005. I had a 2005 STL and while it was a nice vehicle it was limited by its 2500kg towing capacity. I sold it and bought the equiv model TD Landcruiser.

The wisest decision I could have made.

My van at the time was just over 2500kg ATM and the Patrol would hunt up and down the gears at the look of a hill on the horizon. Was significantly noisier than the Cruiser and altogether more of a truck than a car. My wife on our round the block trip, one day piped up and said" Boy am I glad we arent doing this in the Patrol".
FollowupID: 841994

Sponsored Links