Birdsville - Security Question

Howdy

Will be driving to birdsville this year, last time being about 30 years ago.

Then we camped on the banks of the river, left everything as was and went to the races and returned with all in tact.

How is it now security wise, reasonable or are there theiving #$%@^ and you need to pack everything away rather than leave your gear un attended.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 03:39

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 03:39
I have been to Birdsville several times in recent years never had a problem but ya just never know best not to leave valuable stuff laying around .
AnswerID: 555841

Reply By: Iza B - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 06:18

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 06:18
Went to the races last year and did not hear of any problems. Apart from lots of drinking and stumbling about (nothing wrong with that), the general behaviour seemed quite good. Even the campsites that were a real mess were left very clean and tidy as the "boys" left. I took that as a sign that people were taking personal responsibility to act appropriately. Just smart to put attractive items out of sight, no matter where you are. There will always be grubs about who take advantage of a situation.

Iza
AnswerID: 555843

Follow Up By: Willy W - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:40

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:40
Biggest threat will be the flies taking off with you ! Enjoy trip but do take a fly mesh hat.
FollowupID: 841964

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 08:48

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 08:48
I've never had a problem in bush camps but in any case take the view that if I can't afford to lose something I won't take it.

There's some stuff you can lock up and that will stop the casual thief.

For an affordable extension to my house contents policy most of my gear is covered away from home too.
AnswerID: 555848

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:07

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:07
Hi Rojac, cant comment specifically about Birdsville, but theft from c/van parks is definitely becoming a problem , maybe less so in the 'outback' or country areas. usual targets-valuable items unsecured like your engels, sat tv, the nice weber Q ( worth $300+) . add to this your c/van or camper trailer itself! I've had gear knocked off from rear of my 4x4 - smashed in the window and took air pump, recovery kit. sad state of affairs that you have to take precautions these days. having insurance is good but doesn't take away the sour taste of finding out your the victim of this sort of thing.
MG.
AnswerID: 555855

Reply By: Rojac - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:24

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:24
Thanks for the replies, anything of value would be locked up in the car which would remain at the camp, as one cannot drink and drive especilally if going to the pub or the race track but items such as swags, tables/chairs/ some cooking gear, incidently can you have open fires or is that prohibited.

To pack everything up then unpack would be a PIA.

Cheers
AnswerID: 555856

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:46

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:46
The valueless light fingered peasants you refer to are usually from the cities and towns, I have never had an issue in small country towns and rural areas but have met some lovely people out there.

John
FollowupID: 841961

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 13:29

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 13:29
Rojac, I think you'd be ok to leave general camp items there, maybe taking a small tent is a good precaution, just somewhere you can just throw swags, stove and bottle in there and zip it up to keep things out of sight . . . table / chairs should be ok outside.

Such a shame we need to be thinking about these things, especially when out bush.

Really, I think most people there would be in the same boat and generally respectful in these matters, but you never know these days.
If someone was caught stealing gear at such a location / time, I reckon if it became known there might be some mob justice dished out before the local constable got to site.
FollowupID: 841968

Follow Up By: Member - mike g2 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 00:04

Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 00:04
Hi Les, not that I'm in favour of mob or bush justice, but..

story from one of my several NW (pt hedland ) trips- locals found out who had been pinching their fishing gear- a newby in town. they "encouraged" him to a local tidal flat and tied him up for the tide to come in( knowing the levels well) gave him a few choice words, advised his fate... ( the odd croc ,mud crabs and fast rising water ).
needless to say he quietly left town within a few days and all the pinched gear was found returned on the front verandas.

and yes- country people are a different breed- owe a debt of gratitude to farmers 1/2 way between Albany and Esperance some 20 yrs ago. helped us out with tractors after a car/van roll over on the country road, same with towie , came out from Albany-gave us somewhere to stay- no questions asked or payment wanted.
MG.
FollowupID: 841982

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 08:56

Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 08:56
Good story, maybe true too, in that region they wouldn't muck around with such things :)

I believe the Tough Truck events (somewhere interstate in the east) have had increasing problems with thieves at events in recent years, and a couple caught are made an example of.

There seems to be a sub culture developed that believes anything you've worked hard for to own, is somehow also something they're entitled to if they want it.

Yes, country folk are usually very available when assistance is needed, and they are very resourceful, having to make do with limited tools etc to get jobs done.

Happy (and trouble free) travels.
FollowupID: 841986

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 15:38

Friday, Jun 12, 2015 at 15:38
Thieves/opportunists can turn up in Birdsville or anywhere else if there's a nice unsecured gennie/weber/fridge etc on view. We padlock those sort of items but don't worry about the rest. 99% are honest campers just like you - but there's always a chance..........

Fires are ok on the town common just behind the waterhole/bore.
AnswerID: 555869

Reply By: cookie1 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 09:55

Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 09:55
Have been going to the Birdsville Races bi-annually for years, we tend to camp as far away from others as you can and when we go to town we simply put stuff in our swags or tents and have never had any issues.

There is a strong Police presence in the area we see them cruising more than in the city and they do hold court there now during the races with a Judge flown down from Mt Isa.

cheers
AnswerID: 555893

Sponsored Links