Golden Quest Trail

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 02:03
ThreadID: 119162 Views:1648 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
looking at do the golden quest trail this school holidays (early july).
Any one else doing it?
any tip? highlights from those who have done in the past?
fully setup, camper trailer, self sufficient.
just keen on knowing those who have done it in the past and had a blast!
travelling with the wife and 3 kids (15,13,11) and a (detector....little use) who love the bush life.
appreciate your comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 08:53

Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 08:53
Have done most of it, in bits and pieces over the years, as a Kalgoorlie local. There's a guide book with CDs that tell the stories. Lots of great camping spots with terrific firewood, and the bush looks terrific right now after several good seasons. The interpretive sites tell great stories and it is all really well done.

Don't forget about the Green Trail as well, south from Coolgardie and the Leonora Loop Trails too. Those in Leonora are especially good with interpretive sites every 15-20km. One of them takes you to the famous Terraces formation, which is worth a longer stay.

If you love the bush, you'll love it.
AnswerID: 555887

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 22:25

Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 22:25
We followed the booklet with dvd's telling stories about the past as we drove (can purchase from Visitor Centre). I have a My Blog Goldfields WA 2007.

We took our time and bush camped all the way spending one week on the Golden Quest trail (three days would be adequate) and one week touring the Woodlines. The only evidence of most of the ghost towns now is broken glass scattered on the ground. Hearing the stories brings it all to life. The cemeteries had us in tears; life lost so young, and graves of toddlers and babies from the same family show what a harsh land it was.

The museum and the whole town of Gwalia near Leonora is a good one to see. Families have 'adopted' cottages and done them up to theme.

Of even more interest was the Woodlines to the south of Coolgardie, and the part water and wood played in the history of the gold rush. We used this book Holland Track and Cave Hill Woodlines as ou guide. Link to shop is not working. If you are interested, search shop for "Explore the Holland Track and Cave Hill Woodlines".

It will all be a great history lesson for your children. Enjoy your trip.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 555927

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 22:27

Saturday, Jun 13, 2015 at 22:27
Shop link now working.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 842018

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 21:44

Sunday, Jun 14, 2015 at 21:44
Hi LVM242,

We hope this information is helpful even though we have not followed the Golden Quest Trail fully.

We have researched the trail and compiled/followed our own trip and direction :-)

We have visited the old cemetery sites (listed and unlisted) and just followed our noses too.

NOTE; it takes more time to see it, than the guide books show.

EG.....
We were out at Lake Ballard last week when a couple arrived late in the afternoon, vehicle had SA plates.
Both walked onto lake.
Wife walked to first sculpture, husband walked half way and returned to vehicle.
Wife arrived at first sculpture and took "selfie"
Husband returned from vehicle, couple went to second sculpture, second "selfie"
Couple return to vehicle with comment, "we still have a couple of hours driving to do"

Are you kidding!!

LVM242, please take your time to see some spectacular scenery and immerse yourselves in our historical past. :-)

Here endeth the lesson.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

PS, wish we were there with you (sigh)
AnswerID: 555966

Sponsored Links