Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 23:58
You will need a 4x4 with that national parks consider 'A High Clearance Vehicle', in which group a Prado will fill nicely, as for a winch, not so much. What they are saying is don't try it in a Falcon.
From memory you turn off the main developmental road and drive one of the worst corrugated sections of the whole trip. I mean, it was horrible, no where you could pull to the side to avoid them, no speed was appropriate to skip along the top either.
Looking at the van model, if it has made it that far, then I don't think the cople of km of bumps will do it any harm.

You do have to ford a Scrubby creek, it is a muddy looking creek and reasonably wide, hardly flowing, if at all and has a firm bottom. I went through in July last year and the water was a bit above my tyres and good traction.

We went north and turned off the OTT and headed to the bypass road before Cypress Creek.

This is about what it looked like when I went through

http://www.cape-york-australia.com/old-telegraph-track.html

If you jump on Youtube, you will see some spectacular crossings, but most are early in the season and I don't think they have had much rain there this year.
AnswerID: 556096

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 00:07

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 00:07
Hi Outback Epicurian

When we went in last year, we went in from the "South" off the Development road. The creek crossing was quite deep at the time but a good bottom with steady entry and exits. We were advised by staff at Morton To hug the right hand side going in as the bottom was firmer absolutely brilliant advice.

When we went out, we went out to the "North" and crossed out at Sams Creek. The entry in had a few large holes before entering the water and a large one on the drivers side just in the water. Slow and steady and it is "interesting" but achievable. If you take the exit opposite the entry, it is a bit steep and requires a few more weeties to get up if towing (but it is doable). If you bear to the left the exit is a lot more user friendly but may be tight if you are towing.

I was driving a LC with lift and lockers and a Conqueror UEV 490 travel buddy was in a Standard patrol with a 6 mtr off road trailer.

We did see some standard Prados in at Eliot Falls and the ranger came in in a triton ute.

I don't think you will have any troubles. If your not travelling with someone, wait until someone comes along and go through with them. It has been relatively dry this year so levels won't be extreme.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 556097

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 00:09

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 00:09
Hoyks photos are about what we encountered

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 842224

Follow Up By: outback epicurean - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 08:48

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 08:48
Just to clarify, is this the same area as Twin Falls? WE were up on the Cape about 18 years ago and thought is was Twin falls that we camped at.

Thanks
FollowupID: 842228

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 09:58

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 09:58
If Scrubby Ck is the same as last year it shouldn't be a problem the bottom was firm , it was bonnet hight when we were there .

Eliot Falls , Twin Falls same place
FollowupID: 842231

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:13

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:13
Hi again

Yes, same spot.

Twin falls are about a hundred meters north of Eliot Falls and can be accessed off the the same trail. The Saucepan is to the south on a different trail.

Nice new ablutions since you were last there then?

The link below will show a mud map of the camping area and the three waterfalls.

Elliot and Twin Falls, The Saucepan and the Camping Area

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 842232

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 13:11

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 13:11
Can't really add much to what has already been said. It is a relatively deep crossing but has a firm bottom, and as has already been said it has been pretty dry up there so it should probably be a similar height to the photos above.

There was a bit of rain in late July last year that made it quite deep, you will probably find some videos of that on youtube. But all in all not a difficult crossing, and certainly no need for a winch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556107

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 03:08

Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 at 03:08
There is plenty of video of the crossing on youtube

These videos below show the crossing well.

AnswerID: 556155

Reply By: Member - Trevor M9 - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 18:56

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 18:56
Went from Fruit Bat Falls to Eliot about a week ago. There is one river crossing, don't know name but presumably Scrubby Creek. It was up to the top of the wheels on my Ranger (old model) and no problem getting through. We were in a group with a Prado and a Hyundai Santa Fe. We did it in both directions and I had to tow the Santa Fe up the exit on the way south but did that without any problem and he drove thro the water without a problem. You won't need a winch. A Triton went thro towing a camper trailer while we were there without incident.
AnswerID: 556459

Sponsored Links