Mounted air compressor

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 13:34
ThreadID: 11924 Views:2223 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All,

I have a Land Rover discovery and was wanting to mount a compressor for blowing up tyres etc in the vehicle. Just after some advice on the best type to install and where to install it. Want to have an output valve at the front and the rear.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 13:41

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 13:41
Brad,
Not sure about the disco, but in my Patrol, the Max-air sits above the left hand rear wheel arch on top of a cargo drawer. It's plumbed into a 3ltr tank mounted just above the comp and attached to the cargo barrier. Then have hoses running back and front to outlets on bullbar, rear of cargo drawer, plus "T" junctions in the passenger's footwell (to take a line over to driver's "A" pillar for a gauge, under the bonnet for a front air locker and another which takes a line onto the roof rack for air horns.
The compressor mounted where it is means it's out of the way, but easy enough to get to. It's mounted with a quick disconnect (Ryco) fitting so I can remove it if need be.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 53684

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:07

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:07
Roachie, what did you use for the 3ltr tank ?
FollowupID: 315381

Follow Up By: Roachie - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 11:13

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 11:13
G'day again Bob,
I'm just going through all my inbound emails and am replying to various questions (we've been away to Coffin Bay for Easter....fantastic spot!!).
My 3ltr tank came as part of the air-horn package I purchased several years ago from Adelaide (I was actually living in Cooma NSW at the time). It's a cylindrical steel tank which consists of 2 halves that have been welded together around the girth. It has 2 brackets welded to provide a mounting medium. In one of the slightly dome-shaped ends, it has 3 tapped holes (1/8" bsp I believe). One of the those holes was fitted with a small gauge, which I removed and is the one I've mounted on my "A" pillar. So now the holes are used for....(1) air inlet from compressor....(2) air hose to back of cargo area....(3) air hose to the front of vehicle as described on previous posts.
I don't believe the Grand Vitesse air horns are available for sale in Australia any longer. I rang the company about 2 years ago to see if I could get a air solenoid (if that's the right term) and the lady said her husband had recently died and she was quitting the import business.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 315650

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:37

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:37
Thanks Roachie, thats a bugger we can't get them anymore as it sounds perfect.
FollowupID: 315871

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 20:53

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 20:53
Bob,
I reckon the fire extinguisher idea is the best way to go. I'd prefer to have one instead of/as well as the 3ltr tank I currently use. The fittings would simply be fitted using a manifold onto the top of the FExt with enough drilled and tapped holes to take the required fittings.
There is a commercially available manifold which I saw on a web-site recently. Can't remember the name at the moment, but I'll look it up if I can stir the grey matter up enough...LOL
Roachie
FollowupID: 315903

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 11:07

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 11:07
we sell the air manifold Roachie is talking about.

Some picks of it here and some pics of the air fittings setup i have here also:

http://www.offroader.com.au/airfitting/airfitting.html

For more info, steven@ooa.com.au or 0419 304176

Steve
FollowupID: 315987

Follow Up By: Roachie - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 16:48

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 16:48
Steve,

Thanks very much for those photos mate......it really shows a lot of deatil about how the various fittings work together. The fire extinguisher idea is almost exactly what I'm trying to achieve except that I thought it might be better to have an inlet hose permanently attached and maybe do something else with the trigger system to keep the neck open all the time.
I notice the last photo you have there is of an ARB solenoid used for air lockers. Do you know if that solenoid would work as the means of activating a set of air horns? (would it allow sufficient volume of air to flow quickly enough to get the horns to blast?)

Thanks

Roachie
FollowupID: 316032

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:14

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:14
indeed...

My Fire Extinguisher is a portable setup @ present as is my ARB Compressor.

When the storage unit gets fitted to the Prado with a Max Air, It will have the tank permanently mounted, and the air manifold mounted near the back of the storage for easy access for airing up the tyres...

The ARB Solinoid might do the trick, i have 2 spare if you want to borrow one to try it out?

Steve
FollowupID: 316112

Follow Up By: Roachie - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 14:05

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 14:05
Steve,
Thanks for offer mate, but don't worry about it. I don't think they're too expensive and I probably should carry a spare for the air locker anyway.

When you mount your FE, will you make sure it's upside down so any potential moisture build up will tend to drain out by gravity? I have thought of using a FE the same size as yours, but mounting it horizontally on a chassis rail under truck, but am concerned about moisture build up and rust etc. Wouldn't really want to drill a hole on bottom side of cylinder and put a tap as it would be prone to being knocked off....but maybe a 1/8bsp plug would be okay?
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 316174

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 16:05

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 16:05
Mate... It is a WATER Fire Extinguisher.... designed to hold water (aka moisture) under pressure.... rust will no be an issue....

just unscrew the top once ever 3-4 months if your paranoid, nothing to worry about in my opinion.....

Steve
FollowupID: 316180

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 14:24

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 14:24
Brad,
Previous posts on "where to mount them" have generally been against mounting them in the engine bay because of heat etc and which would seem sensible.
However, for the last 6 years my ARB compressor has been mounted in the engine bay of my #80 and has behaved flawlessly in that time including much use across the Simpson, up the Canning etc, and on one occasion reflating not only my 4 tyres and a friend's 4 tyres but also those of another Cruiser when his Big Red kept conking out because of heat problems.
Cheers,
DB

AnswerID: 53688

Follow Up By: The Banjo - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 14:29

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 14:29
Yep....my ARB is in the engine bay and have never had a snag....gets bloody hot AND has no thermal cutout but the ARB man said "don't worry about that" - "just us it"....he might have been right. I have a hose that I snap on for trailer work and the lot is plumbed to a high pressure PVC (plumbing bits) tank....works for me.
FollowupID: 315363

Follow Up By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 14:47

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 14:47
Brad,
Banjo's comments below prompt me to say that I've run a line to the rear of the Cruiser so that I can snap in a hose for the trailer etc - works so well I'll run another line to the bullbar so that there'll then be no need to open the bonnet no matter which tyres need attention.
Db
FollowupID: 315364

Reply By: Member - Alan- Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 14:43

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 14:43
Hi Brad. I had a 300TDI Disco and mounted an ARB Compressor under the bonnet with no probs. Bolted it down on the flat part behind air filter box and suspension.
Worked well with no overheating.
AnswerID: 53690

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 16:23

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 16:23
I mounted mine on the side intrusion bar on the left side at the back (Series 2). In one of the storage boxes would work well (use the intrusion bar to bolt it to) and store the hose in the box.
AnswerID: 53700

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:00

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:00
I've got a no brand supercrap auto compressor, mounted behing the airbox in the surf engine bay, I can tell you one thing it get's bloody hot under a jap import auto TD bonnet!! It's got a thermal cut out, but it has never come on. I have run some high pressure pipe to a quick release connector that comes out of the front grill. Have a coiled hose that reaches all 4 tryes with a inline guage under the passenger seat. Switch is mounted below the gear stick next to the spotties and back window switchs. Under the bonnet does have some disadvantages but my kids and wife don't neccessarly want to get out of the car in 40c+ heat and battle the flies while I pump up tyres so at least it's a little quiter in the cab that way.
AnswerID: 53707

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 21:32

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 21:32
Thank you all for your help
AnswerID: 53847

Sponsored Links