PB Challenger owners

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 14:58
ThreadID: 119253 Views:2022 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Currently researching a pre filter options for my MY11 PB Challenger.

Would be interested to here from any owners that have ACTAULLY had the fuel filter water sensor dash light activate.

Your insight on the what you believed was the cause.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 16:01

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 16:01
I placed a "Water Watch" system in prior to the fuel filter and pump on my Hilux. It is not a fuel filter, but a water catch with sensor and audible alarm. So far we have had no issues with contaminated fuel. We did a trial and injected some water into the water watch, and everything worked as is should. The extra dash light came on, and the annoying buzzer set off. I did not place an extra fuel filter after the water watch and prior to the Toyota setup and it could have caused more problems than what its worth. Fuel flow restrictions is the main concern, and advised it was not necessary. The water watch is not a flow restriction. only a precaution measure prior to the toyota setup. If you stop immediately, the contamination should not reach the filter and pump in my case, but I do carry spare filters to change should this happen to be on the safe side.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556195

Follow Up By: Stromster - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 16:16

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 16:16
I was considering a water watch separator also, till I realised its very similar to the oem filter and alarm.

I'm torn at the moment on whether to just replace the OEM filter more often (manual says 30000) or fit a 30 micron pre filter (oem is 11micron).
FollowupID: 842336

Follow Up By: GarryR - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 17:07

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 17:07
I replace my fuel filter after every big trip regardless of kms. Filters are cheap at $27- oem compared to replacing injectors, pump and lines. I've just replaced my fuel filter again, 8mths old and 5000klms as a precaution before going away again in 4weeeks time. Oil and filter is changed every 5k as oil and filters are cheap compared to engines etc. You can get a water trap and filter as a one piece unit but, you must consider where you can fit it, as it is much larger in size and has a glass/plastic bowl where it could be subject to be broken etc. Many things to think about, but it comes down to common sense. Best thing is to talk to others, and get their opinion then make your own judgement as I did
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842338

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 06:26

Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 06:26
Sorry ..a little off topic...GarryR..Why change the oil at 5000klms. Obviously you aren,t using a full synthetic. My engine oil has just done 7000klms and it is still a nice dark honey colour. The addition of an EGR modification and a provent can ensures the manifold and engine oil remains clean. I used to change my oil twice a year regardless. Sometimes I only had 2000klm but I was a stickler for maintenance. With modern cars and modern oils we are wasting a valuable resource by throwing away perfectly good oil for no real reason. Most new cars are now 15000 oil change. Now its 10,000klm change for me as carefull monitoring has shown that a full synthetic oil will easily go 10,000klm and much more.

cheers
FollowupID: 842353

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 18:08

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 18:08
Stromster
Is that V Strom related?

The Water Watch works different to a filter and the two should not be considered and judged against each other.

The WW warns of water suddenly being present and you can then do something about it's presence.
In most OE filters with a water sensors, they are merely a water "level" sensor and will warn if water gets to a certain level. However, the water may be there for 6 months or more before it accumulates to the level of warning. This method does little for preventing water presence from microscopically finding it's way into the fuel system.

The WW also does not stop water, or filter, it merely warns when it is there in very small concentrations, ie before trouble begins to manifest itself.

An additional filter (with dewatering capabilities) may not warn of water presence or it's sudden appearance in the fuel lines, (you should check frequently). What the additional filter then does is try to eliminate to a bowl, any water which is leaving the tank.
This filter may also begin to restrict with heavy water presence and warn you via Poor performance. All this then should be happening before the OE filter systems of warning.

Looking at each item and EXACTLY what they provide in warning, performance and filtering, or not, requires serious consideration before choosing what you want.

If you want warning and additional filtering then the product you choose should do both. Many do not do both.
AnswerID: 556202

Follow Up By: Stromster - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 18:55

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 18:55
yes Ross owned a highly modified Wee Strom at the time of joining this site, have since moved on to KTM 950/990 (on my second).

You are also right in that's there is lots to consider , but it is interesting to note that I have poised the above question (re dashlight activation) on various forums and as yet have had not one first hand instance of such an event occurring.
FollowupID: 842343

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:00

Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:00
I have a K8 Vstrom DL1000. Good bike all round.

If no one responded they may not have had sufficient water in there but the water may be there and providing microscopic water into the system, depending on OE filter quality and performance.

I have a pre filter which is a dewatering fuel filter with bowl of course. All as an additional precaution.
Cheers
Ross
FollowupID: 842362

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 06:18

Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 06:18
I had the dash light come on several times in a troopy I had. Water in fuel. No dramas..just stop car and replace fuel filter, prime and on your way. Drained old filter and water was only just over the sensor. On my Pajero (2014) I have fitted the Donaldson auxiliary filter after the Pajero one as the factory Pajero filter has the water alert fixed to it.

At 10,000klms the factory unit gets changed and 15,000 for the auxillary. MM maintenance is above these figures. Toyota is even more (30,000klms I think). I,ve seen plenty of filters changed at various times (cut them open) and many are still in reasonable condition at 8-10,000klms. Filters are inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. The Donaldson aux is a 3micron so nothing will get through it. It has a very high flow rate and have no effect on engine performance or warranty of car.

I believe anyone with a crd engine who doesn't have an auxillary filter is taking a big risk on an expensive part of the engine to fix.
AnswerID: 556219

Sponsored Links