Snow Tracks near Melbourne?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 11:46
ThreadID: 119292 Views:1462 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there,

I'm looking at doing a 4WD day trip to the snow (we are based in Melbourne). I've only done a bit of snow driving (but a bunch of other non-snow 4WD trips) and my friend is new to 4WDing in general so I wanted to get us both a chance to drive in (or around) the snow but nothing too hardcore (where we'd be winching for hours or bogged up to the doors again and again). Does anyone know any beginners tracks in Victoria with some snow of them (e.g. Buxton, Baw Baw etc)?

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 18:55

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 18:55
Mount Matlock might be a good place to start. I haven't been there yet, actually heading out there in a few weeks time. Can't wait!

I have done a bit of googling on it, the mountain itself looks pretty easygoing with people doing it easily in standard rigs with A/T tyres etc. There looks to be a few good tracks out the back of it, not sure how snowy they are but I think they can get a bit muddy. Still doesn't look like it would be too tough as long as you're not silly about it.

I think I read somewhere (probably here) that it's the highest point you can actually drive a 4wd to in Victoria. I might be misquoting though, something like that.

I'm sure plenty of members here have been out that way and can add more, but that's my 2c worth.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556335

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:16

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:16
The highest point you can drive to in Aus is I think Mt McKay, at > 1700 m. In summer only obviously unless you're authorised to go up on a skidoo.
FollowupID: 842519

Sponsored Links