Kluger Crossover (Soft 4WD)

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 16:58
ThreadID: 11930 Views:1866 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone heard anything? Don't jump on me on know they are a soft roader. So called Crossover but this style of car appears to be the future for non "real" 4wd's
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:17

Thursday, Apr 08, 2004 at 17:17
160 mm clearance and no underbody protection.........Ford Falcon has 180 mm.....

Based on the Japanese spec Camry platform, meaning it has not been "Australianised" to suit our rougher conditions.

I'd give them 2 years before they are pulled from the market due to falling apart at the seams, literally.
AnswerID: 53714

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:58

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:58
I dont think "falling apart at the seams" will be an issue, as I dont see camrys falling apart, even though they are sold in Aus, and the Rav4 isnt having any drama's either.

And given the camry has been voted most reliable and cheapest family wagon to run/maintain, it cant be all bad.

The Kluger is directed at a specific market, and it fills that gap well, you certainly dont need a 4wd to drive 90% + of the country,and the way tracks are going, that will be 99%+ soon..........
AnswerID: 53761

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:14

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:14
"...as I dont see camrys falling apart, even though they are sold in Aus..."

All Camrys driven here are manufactured here, the design modified extensively compared to the original Japanese design.

If they end up making them here I would agree with you..........

The Rav4's are known to break their rear diffs if you get a front wheel airborne (not hard to do).

Which Toyota dealership do you own?????
FollowupID: 315496

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:06

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:06
Break a rear diff, if you get a front wheel in the air....interesting, please explain?

BTW I dont own any dealership, for any model or make, I simply responded to a post which was full of thoughts, not facts.

This thread is just text with no data.
FollowupID: 315503

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 18:17

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 18:17
Rav4's are normally biased to be more front wheel drive than rear (majority of torque carried to front wheels, 70:30 or thereabouts I believe). If a front wheel becomes airborne all the torque is transferred to the rear diff suddenly causing a significant shock load to be placed on a differential that was never designed to be the sole driving diff (theoretically stressing it to 3.33 times the designed maximum, ie. 30% total up to 100% total), resulting in premature desrtuction.
They are designed to be driven with with all 4 wheels on the ground ie. "soft roads".

Many (if not all) other softroaders ,including the Kluger, suffer the same problems.

In fairness, similar comments can be made about some IFS "true" 4WD's with the front diff being the culprit.
FollowupID: 315514

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 22:06

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 22:06
55-45% actually.

And the drive transfer is only a shockload, if the transfer of drive transmits rapidly to the rear, with both rear wheels on the ground, with even traction that exceeds the capability of the rear diff, otherwise it would just spin the tyre with the leats resistance.

But if you are transferring the maximum torque of the engine to the drivetrain while it is becoming loaded,a nd unloaded, you deserve some broken parts, as bad drivers break vehicles, vehicles dont generally break themselves ;-)

FollowupID: 315518

Reply By: tessa_51 - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:16

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:16
Saw a guy last week towing an obviously expensive and well setup off road camper behind a Kluger. Couldn't help wondering where he was going, AND, if he would get there. It might be a Toyota, but I think it's the least qualified of their 4wd's to take off road. The way I read the tests it's set up for the US market where off roading means getting off the freeway onto a suburban street.

Tessa
AnswerID: 53771

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 17:47

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 17:47
I dont think it has a transfer case, so its an AWD, not a 4WD ;-)

And having 4wd in a rav 4, before, even if it isnt quiet as good as the rav 4, if you say its the worst performer, Im sure it is a good vehicle for its intended market.

A bit like using a hammer to cut wood instead of a saw though, people really need to get the right tool for the job.
FollowupID: 315447

Reply By: SMURFF - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 13:37

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 13:37
I hate to disappoint all you "Hard Core" 4WDer's but everything you guys are saying about the Rav4 is utter rubbish!

I have been reading these Forums for quite some time and generally there are some very intelligent comments made and useful advice given but this thread has appalling.

Firstly, the Rav4 is is alot more capable than any of you will ever know. If you were at Stockton 2 weeks ago you would have seen me and my Rav4 go anywhere and everywhere. Hilux got bogged about 10 times, Rav4 Once coz i was playing with the radio and didn't notice a 900mm drop and as a result hit the brakes hard.

I agree with the ground clearance but everything else is a load of S&*$. This whole diff thing also.....where is your experience with such a problem??? I have had the front wheel off the ground countles times and no hint of knocking, shuddering or anything else you fellas dream up!

Oh, and btw, i have 4 family members that have worked for Toyota for the last 6 yrs and have never heard of "rear Diff" issues......

Wake up and realise that these "Soft" roaders are alot more capable than you give them credit for. Maybe you do realise that but you Pride and Ego's are getting in the way.

One final point....The Kluger is a larger version of the Rav4 and identical to the RX330....and VERY capable in most applications.
AnswerID: 54019

Reply By: VWR - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 14:04

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 14:04
Thanks for all the comments, I had no idea the question would illicit such passions.
I have a Jackaroo (2,000 model SE) with 140,000 on the clock which I am going to keep for the boss (she likes the thought of winning the local dodgem car stakes and I like the idea of the kids in that and not her Terios) and I have bought a CVX Kluger for the family (Obviously the Jack gets any tough stuff)
Kluger is in my opinion almost the perfect family car - Think about this:
Station Wagon
Leather
4x4 (no centre diff)
Traction Control
Brake Assist
Some other gadget that controls the power to each wheel and retards the motor if necessary in event of control loss (understeer I imagine).
Sold as Lexus in some countries so the quality goes without speaking.
More power thatn the Jack and weighs less so you can imagine the performance.
More torque than the Jack
Lexus 5 speed gear box
Beaaaaaaautiful Lexus 3.3L high tech motor.
More fruit inside than I can manage
8 Airbags including curtain airbags for the kids in the back
Pre-tensioned belts etc
7 seats (last two fold under floor with the spare so I have more room than in the Jack)
0-100 in 8.1 secs (so they say)
I went for a careful stroll down to Wagga and across the mountains over Easter - Fule consumption was 9.8 Litres per 100K - Some hard driving dragging off a couple of Toyota Prados who were trying to keep up in the mountains to see what this thing was I think.
110 on the freeway, fully loaded with luggage and four people
I dunno - short of hard core 4x4 in the bush which will always be the domain of the big guys that are built for it, I really think this may be the future.

p.s. Looked at trading the Terios on Rav4 and selling the jack - Rav4 is too expensive and almost costs as much as Jack to run (excepting petrol of course)
Also looked at the other soft stuff for the wife - My opinion only - Forget the Hondas etc, the only thing that is up there are the Subarus and perhaps the Ravs

AnswerID: 54023

Sponsored Links