Tow points for Mitsubishi Triton

Submitted: Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 08:34
ThreadID: 119335 Views:6322 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help me.
I can't seem to find toe points to fit my triton, only generic ones like bushranger, and I can't see where to fit them on the truck.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 09:54

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 09:54
Hi Col, assume you mean recovery point? Good Qn. Obvously tie down point/hook not adequate for a recovery, who could say if its adequate for a straight on road tow when someone broken down?. Angled torque on frame can be a problem . Have done a look on net, opinion varies on recovery. Mitsubishi site itself doesn't seem to mention an adequate place at which a rated recovery point can be bolted on a triton. a Google search brought up several things inc a page of photos showing various fixings.. Ref: offroadaussie, roadrunneroffroad and 4wd action as source sites. sounds like one for the dealer to clarify.
MG.
AnswerID: 556479

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:25

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:25
The front factory tow/recovery points on the Triton/Challenger have been well known to be very good .

No need to replace them with anything, but if you want some reassurance on that, get over to the Pajero forum or the new triton forum.

For any heavy duty recoveries, like any 4wd, use of a bridle is recommended ..
AnswerID: 556482

Follow Up By: Geoffr17 - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:48

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:48
The tow hooks from Mitsubishi will need to be adequate and most importantly they will need to be rated and stamped ( WWL )

All gear now used for recovery and Towing must be rated and stamped .

Even the chain and shackle on a little box trailer must be rated now.

Penalties can be very hefty if an injury is caused by non rated equipment.

Talk to your dealer who might know or a 4 wheel drive equipment supplier.

Cheers

FollowupID: 842668

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 18:33

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 18:33
I don't think you'll find any manufacturer will have a rating stamped on their tow/recovery hooks..

The actual hook won't be the problem, but how it's attached to the 4wd....so, even if you had a "rated" hook, how do you police the rating of the bolts that attach it, or even the strength of the chassis that it is attached to ??
FollowupID: 842679

Follow Up By: 671 - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 21:44

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 21:44
Gronk posted:
I don't think you'll find any manufacturer will have a rating stamped on their tow/recovery hooks..

I started working on 4wd Toyotas in the 1970s and there was no rating on their front mounted hooks and it is the same today. The handbook for my 03 ute shows a tie down point on the passenger side and a towing hook on the driver's side. There is no rating on it and the book clearly states that it is for towing only.

I emailed Toyota when I bought the car and they said Toyota does not support the use of snatch straps and their cars are not rated for them. That would mean not only are the hooks not suitable for snatch straps but the chassis mounting points as well. If you look through the net you will find examples of both breaking although the number of hooks that have ripped their mounting bolts out seems to be a lot higher than those that have broken.

I am not sure what the definition of a recovery is. Towing is a recovery. Winching is just slow towing so that must be a recovery. A half a dozen blokes pushing a bogged car is also a recovery. Jacking and putting something under the wheels can also recover a car.

Snatch straps are definitely a form of recovery but no car that I am aware of is rated for them. When you look at the number of accidents and injuries that have occurred during recoveries, 99.9% have been with snatch straps. I suppose when manufacturers do design their cars for them, that percentage will drop to about zero.

This article is worth reading. I have seen a few others that say the same thing.

http://www.4wdhandbook.com.au/rmp/blog/myth-rated-4WD-recovery-points
FollowupID: 842692

Sponsored Links