Track from Erldunda to Titjikala

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 20:12
ThreadID: 119419 Views:2133 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if there is a track from Erldunda to Titjikala, (or Maryvale)??
I'm heading out to Ayres Rock then visiting my son who is at Titjikala, but don't want to travel up to Alice then back down to Titjikala.

I've been looking on EOTopo online and it looks like there is a track that goes out to Maryvale, but not sure if the general public are allowed to use them.

After that I'll be heading down to Mt Dare so would also like to know if I can get from Titjikala to Mt Dare, or do I have to head to the highway first, then back to Mt Dare.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 22:36
You don't have to go all the way back to Alice Steve. The Hugh Stock Road is viable short cut.

As far as I know, you cannot get permission to cut through the station tracks. You son may be well placed to contact the relevant stations to find out if special permission can be granted.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556765

Follow Up By: Member - Steve J (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 05:16

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 05:16
Thanks Motherhen. I've already got him asking the locals because he wanted me to go well north of the Finke then come back south. We'll see how he gets on, but will also check the High Stock Road.
FollowupID: 843034

Reply By: Mtb rule- Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 22:48

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 22:48
Steve,

Just got back last night from our trip through that area.

Can't help with the first part of the question, Erldunda to Titjikala (Maryvale), but can on the last part.

2 weeks ago we travelled the opposite way, Mt Dare to Finke, then to Maryvale, Chambers pillar onto Alice Springs.

The road from Titjikala to Finke is very very sandy with lots of bull dust after the Finke race. The heavy going starts north of the Bundooma siding ruins and ends just before Finke.

I took my time (towing a off road camper trailer) avg 50 km/h in high 4x4.

From Mt Dare to Dalhousie, take the road towards Bloods Creek for 20 km, then Straight into Dalhousie, less rock and corrugations then the direct route.

Fuel in this area is around $2.20 - $2.30 Lt., diesel

The sand is a beautiful deep red through that area.

Enjoy your trip,

Mtb

AnswerID: 556766

Follow Up By: Member - Steve J (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 05:19

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 05:19
Thanks Mtb. I'm not towing a trailer so it sounds like the road you are suggesting will be ok. It'll be a precursor to going across the Simpson after visiting him.
FollowupID: 843035

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:25

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:25
As someone said, HRS is the public access rd to Maryvale. Or he could ring Idracowra about access, but good luck.
And from Maryvale South you just head out to the Finke track on either the main Alice Springs/Deep Well rd and turn right at Rodinga, or one of the tracks that come out near Bundooma tank .............ask a local which track is the one to Bundooma.
AnswerID: 556827

Follow Up By: Member - Steve J (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 08:44

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 08:44
Thanks Hairy. I'm currently looking at the HSR and my son has also been asking around so we'll see what comes up from it.
FollowupID: 843154

Sponsored Links