Decline in Uluru visitors

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 19:45
ThreadID: 119437 Views:3767 Replies:15 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
An interesting article on the ABC website.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-09/reversing-long-term-decline-in-tourism-to-uluru/6608226

My thoughts are:-
- To expensive particularly for a family.
- warnings on climbing

My trip was to see Uluru, nothing else so what they add would have no effect in my opinion.

These are not racist comments just a "business" pricing/managing itself out of business.

Honky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 20:13

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 20:13
Agree.Camp with tent - unpowered $38, powered $48 ($10 electricity for ONE night) and god forbid if you want just a basic cabin for the night - $138. And the cabins even allow you to share amenities. Wow!!

No wonder visitor numbers are dropping.

We only camped for one nigh so that the grand daughter could see Ayers Rock.

Phil
AnswerID: 556818

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 07:23

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 07:23
Those rates are similar to a Big4 van park so I am not sure the price is the issue
FollowupID: 843110

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 09:21

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 09:21
Don't we know it. And why we avoid the big caravan parks.

That cost for an unpowered site was a small patch of ground and not bigger than a four man tent. We had to use a powered site for the small T-van that we towed. We wanted an unpowered site but weren't allowed because of the van. Maybe we were just "out of luck" - I don't know.

Luckily we stayed in Alice once and hired a plane to fly us out and around both attractions. Yes - we were both working then so we could easily afford it. So we don't need to go back to Ayers Rock or the Olgas. Just straight through to the WA deserts.

Phil
FollowupID: 843116

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:32

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:32
My comments may be somewhat dated now but our last visit was in 2006. Even then the caravan park was expensive and if you were tenting like us not very inviting. The grass area was littered with rabbit burrows, uneven, and sloping. We wanted some power so we had to get a 20m extension cord as the only power supply for the powered tent area was from a single source. We could have camped closer but I'd of had to have done some earth works.

The ablution block was also very tired and in need of some serious TLC.

We seriously questioned whether we would ever stay there again.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843130

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 22:58

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 22:58
I've seen the rock twice, and it really takes your breath away when you 1st see it in the flesh, but to think that by putting some sort of business in place ( to fleece even more hard earned dollars ) is the solution, is just typical government ideology..

I've only seen the sunset views as it was too early to get there from Curtain Springs for the sunrise......and we weren't staying at Ayres Rock...too dear for the campground.

Honky was right, what else would you do there apart from seeing Ayres Rock and the Olgas.....even if it didn't cost you an arm and a leg ??

I'm sure a lot of people would stay at least 2 nights in the campground if they charged "normal" prices, but $38 for an unpowered site ( for 2 people ) is hwy robbery.....even the ripoff nat parks elsewhere "only" charge $28.

And on top of that you have to pay to get into the "park" to see the rock as well ..

The ONLY reason they want numbers to increase is to regain the profits they have lost....but the pen pushers at nat parks can't and won't listen to sensible suggestions.

AnswerID: 556823

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 23:57

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 23:57
We stayed three night; caravan parks are not our preference, and we had whiz-bang hirers around us going in and out all night to disturb our sleep. But compared to the time and cost of commuting from outside the park, it paid us to be on site. We have come a long way the see the Uluru, and got to see many more features of Central Australia in our five weeks in the red centre.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843109

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 05:49

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 05:49
Yalara (including the camp ground) is not inside the National Park, but it is a monopoly business and it is operated on that basis.
That monopoly should cease.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 556824

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 07:51

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 07:51
I suspect for many it is a long way in and a long way out to see one feature. Once those visiting have seen the sunrise and sunset over the Rock and a visit to the Olga’s, it is 1-2 days at best. I don’t think many would see it as a destination in its own right.

On price, I don’t know that the actual price is the problem, but perceived value for time and money expended versus the alternatives available. Many travellers are time poor these days and if the value equation doesn’t stack up it runs the risk of being dropped from the itinerary. This is not dissimilar to anywhere else on the tourism circuit…

I’ve never visited despite travelling extensively in Central Australia, but will be there in a couple of weeks as part of a broader trip being undertaken – and looking forward to the experience.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 556826

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:39

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:39
Actually, just to add, what would be useful when viewing the graph showing the decline of tourism numbers to Uluru (dare I still call it Ayres Rock?), would be an overlay of tourism numbers travelling to either Central Australia or even within Australia generally.

It would then tell us something more meaningful, such as whether this is part of a broader trend, or specific to this area.

This is an extract from the Reserve Bank of Australia’s March 2015 Quarterly Bulletin (my day job trading the Australian dollar has me reading this stuff!). Now many won’t want to spend the time reading it, but in a nutshell, the decline in tourism numbers to Uluru is not inconsistent with a broader trend that has been evident in domestic tourism over a number of years.

This supports a viewpoint that it may not necessarily be price specific, but affected by other factors of a broader nature.

“Changes in domestic tourism demand have an important bearing on the tourism industry in Australia, as Australian residents travelling domestically account for the majority of travel undertaken within Australia. The National Visitor Survey (NVS), published by Tourism Research Australia (TRA), provides a suite of regular and detailed tourism indicators that are useful for monitoring domestic tourism demand.

These data confirm that there has been a protracted period of weakness in domestic tourism demand since 2008. From peak to trough, the number of domestic tourism nights declined by 10 per cent, and the recovery in domestic tourism demand since 2011 has been slow, with the number of nights only recently reaching its previous peak of six years earlier.

Domestic tourism can be classified into two broad categories of travel that can behave quite differently. Leisure travel is the largest category with more than three-quarters of all domestic trips undertaken for the purpose of visiting friends/relatives (so-called VFR travel) or for a holiday. The balance largely reflects travel for business purposes, which captures travel by both private firms and the public sector.

Real domestic leisure travel expenditure was generally weak over the four years to 2012 and weighed heavily on growth in total tourism expenditure for much of this period. Liaison with the tourism industry suggests that the appreciation of the Australian dollar, which lowered the cost of international travel relative to travelling domestically, contributed to the weakness in domestic leisure travel over that period. Much of this period was also associated with below-average survey measures of consumer confidence and subdued growth in household consumption expenditure. Growth in outbound travel by Australians has been very strong since 2009; this was largely driven by the strength in demand for leisure travel, which is generally the most discretionary and price-sensitive category of outbound travel.

While the level of the exchange rate remains high relative to history, there is already tentative evidence suggesting that the exchange rate is no longer providing the same impetus to outbound travel, with expenditure on overseas leisure travel declining in 2013/14, the first time in at least eight years . Similarly, the depreciation in the tourism TWI has coincided with a pick-up in the number of domestic leisure trips. The decline of the Australian dollar is regarded positively by the tourism industry and appears to be supporting sentiment among firms exposed to tourism. However, a decline in average expenditure per trip continues to constrain growth in total domestic leisure tourism spending.”

Thinking too much on a Friday! – Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 843113

Follow Up By: Member - Gnomey - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:03

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:03
G'day Baz

Agree with you that a comparison with domestic tourism in central Oz and Oz generally would give us a better perspective.

A couple of comments on the RBA piece and the ABC graph of visitor numbers.

The RBA talks about a decline from 2008. The graph shows a longer term trend from the beginning of the data set - 2005. We don't know when it started nor whether the 2013-14 up tick will be sustained. 2012-13 doesn't look like much to me. Trend, cycle, bump on road? Who knows.

The pollie says the GFC had a big effect around the world but again the downturn predates the GFC and the graph actually shows an increase from 2008-09! Another boost for our faith in executive government. :^)

Can't remember which way the $AUD went in 2008-09 but I'd be a bit surprised if fell sharply against the $US and Euro etc. ie I'm not convinced a rising or falling $AUD affects Uluru visitor numbers.

Conclusion. We don't have much of a handle on why tourism numbers to Uluru have moved, up or down, and on where they are likely to go next. Putting more facilities in to try to attract more people and hold them longer? Won't be my money going that way - if I have the choice. :^)

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 843131

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:55

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:55
Hi Gnomey

And I think that is why it is important to assess why changes in visitations to Uluru have changed over time, noting that I’m sure they are doing studies along those lines, but one should never assume.

In terms of the trend, and I think trends need to be viewed “at a distance”, you are correct to highlight that it was developing from 2005 onwards, a slight uptick in 2008/2009 before declining towards 2013, and picking up once again in late 2013 into 2014.

If you were to overlay a graph of the Australian dollar versus the Trade Weighted Index, a measure of how the Australian dollar is performing against major currencies, you will notice a fairly good correlation between strength in the Australian dollar versus major currencies, and a downturn in tourism to Uluru. That is, as the currency appreciated, more people travelled overseas at the expense of a decline in tourism domestically, and conversely, as the Australian dollar depreciated more people were inclined to travel domestically.

The following chart bears this out. If you were to overlay it on the Uluru visitors chart you would see visually the correlation - changes are mirrored between the two charts.

In the period 2005 to 2008 the currency appreciated and tourism to Uluru declined, during the GFC period of 2008/2009 the currency declined sharply and tourism numbers to Uluru picked up. In the period 2009 to 2012 when the currency appreciated sharply, and went to above parity against the US dollar, tourism to Uluru declined, and again as the currency started to decline from 2012 onwards tourism to Uluru has increased.

This is highlighted in the commentary from the Reserve Bank. Times of higher exchange rates has seen a decline in recreational tourism in Australia.

So tourism numbers to Uluru are heavily influenced by external factors, what will be difficult to pull out from the Uluru tourism chart in the article, and the AUDTWI chart, is whether it is above or below the general trend of changes in tourism behaviour in Australia.

My suspicion is that it is running below; that is a greater decline in visitors to Uluru than the currency or other external factors should influence.

But what does this mean?

Well the solution to the problem may not be as straight forward as putting in new infrastructure or other attractions that will bring people to the area.

What it might be showing though is that at times of a higher exchange rate and a decline in tourism in Australia generally, Uluru’s location and possibly perceived lack of value in terms of cost and time expended to get there suffers more greatly from a decline in visitations. Under that scenario, looking for ways to “value add” might be useful…

As usual, these things can be as clear as mud!

And can I say, I get it, this might be over analysing in terms of the ExplorOz forum...

But hopefully those vested with decisions at Uluru are taking into account this type of observable data – after all it isn’t rocket science!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 843133

Follow Up By: Member - Gnomey - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 13:24

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 13:24
Hi Baz
Not entirely sure what your graph is showing in 2008-09 about the correlation between $AUD and visitor numbers, but no matter. Here's not the place for grinding out the analysis eh? :^)

Wild guess about underlying causation? Value problem. Domestic visitors are indeed value and price sensitive as you describe and others anecdotally confirm in the thread. Maybe better value on accommodation might attract more people and put them in a better mood to stay longer and spend more money on other things. ie Almost a reverse of the policy of "build it and they will come, stay longer and spend more". Value = cost/ quality of experience.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 843134

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 13:56

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 13:56
Hi Mark

Yes, not necessarily the "forum" for this type of analysis, for what it is worth, in 2008/2009 the Australian dollar declined and visitor numbers to Uluru went up...more travel locally than overseas.

Highlights there are external factors that are not necessarily unique to Uluru.

But, I tend to the view that too far to travel to, so give us better value when we arrive.

Cheers,
Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 843135

Reply By: Lloyd M - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:33

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:33
No one has mentioned that when you have arrived and paid the money to enter the Park you find that you can't climb the rock. Big sign $5000 fine if you do. This has happened the last 2 times we have been there. The only alternative is to walk 11Kms around the base in the sand and when you get to something worth a photo your asked not to as it is a sacred site.

I'm sorry but I wont be back.

Lloyd Mac

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556829

Follow Up By: Member - WBS - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:44

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:44
I understand people who go to Uluru with the intention to climb it feel ripped off when they can't for whatever reason.

I also understand why people wouldn't bother going there if a complete ban on climbing Uluru were in place. (I'm not aware that such a ban is in place now).

It would be interesting to work out how much trade has been lost by not being allowed to climb?

I guess whether its worth visiting or not depends on each persons motivation for doing so.
WBS
FollowupID: 843114

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 09:55

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 09:55
I don't get the need to have to climb it to go there
When we were there I would of climbed it but it was closed due to the high winds
I still enjoyed the trip, walked the base and did not feel ripped off because it was not accessible on the day

You don't need to put your hands all over the Mona Lisa to experience its beauty
FollowupID: 843121

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:00

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:00
This is a great piece of work written back in 2006, which I will confess have to read all of it some time ago.

Thought provoking in the least, and it isn’t about the rights and wrongs of climbing, but a thesis on who did and why etc…

To climb or not to climb?

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 843123

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 19:38

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 19:38
Lloyd with that attitude you wont be missed.
FollowupID: 843174

Reply By: Member - WBS - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:33

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:33
We were there in 2010.
-Yes it was expensive for a caravan site.
-Yes I had to pay $50 for a 3 day pass.
-Yes Fuel and food supplies was expensive too.
-It was also very busy and the caravan park/campground was full.

We weren't surprised at the costs. Its in the middle of nowhere so it is basically a dead end trip unless you plan to go to Docker River and further West. The crux of the matter is really whether you see it as a place worth visiting ?

We felt Uluru was worth a look and so was Kata Tjuta which did surprise us. We found the latter more interesting. We didn't climb Uluru as we weren't convinced we'd make it without a big struggle. The request of the custodians not to climb the rock also had an influence. For me it was enough to walk around it.

We certainly won't be visiting there again as I can't see much changing there in our lifetimes.
WBS
AnswerID: 556830

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 18:32

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 18:32
I thought the prices there were more than reasonable for everything, in fact it surprised me as I was well prepared to be reamed!

FollowupID: 843172

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 13:56

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 13:56
We went, we stayed at Yalara, we paid to go into the park and we chose not to climb. I would do it all again.

I remember travelling in from the west and seeing Kata Tjuta rise and fall on the horizon. A truly amazing experience. But as I travelled further eastward, I caught my first glimpse of Uluru.

I remember everything in such detail. I was making our regular call into the VKS sched as we approached and as I told the operator that we had just caught our first glimpse of "the Rock", I was truly choked with emotion and he had to ask me to repeat myself. Later my wife asked me "what was with the 'blubbing'?"

I had been there previously with my parents as a child. We climbed because at the time it is "what you did!". I remember it being a fantastic experience and was looking forward to doing it with my children on this trip.

Our first trip into the park was to climb "the Rock". We had our cameras charged, day packs full of water and snacks and were standing in the car park of the climbing face. Then I read the signs "asking" us not to climb.

I have travelled extensively through out both Australia and the world and I can never remember being "asked" not to do something. I am so used to being told I can't do something - signs saying "no entry" "prohibited this" and "prohibited that" etc etc. I had to take pause to think about this.

We went off and did a self guided tour - I read the interpretive panels. I was starting to understand that this was a "special" place. I then we went on a guided tour with one of the traditional owners and an interpreter - I started to get it. I went back to the climbing face and sat on the bench and watching,looking and listening to my thoughts.

It was then I realised that I didn't need to climb.

In Hannah Hueneke thesis, (posted by The Landy), there is the following quote. This is what sums it up for me...

"Someone asks why people are allowed to climb if it is so important. Michael translates Hezekiel’s answer: ‘It’s a spiritual belief, they are not forcing that on you. Anangu understand you come a long way, and pay a lot to get here’."

Honestly, how many of you would think of going to Stonehenge to scale the structures? Who would go to Westminster Abbey to stand on top of the High Altar? Which ones of you walk through a cemetery and walk over the tops of the graves. Why because they are sacred to you and your spiritual beliefs, and if someone chose to do so - many would be affronted by such sacrilege.

I have forgotten how much it cost in dollars. What I will never forget is how much I got from this place. It is not just a sacred place to the Anangu, it is equally significant to followers of the Judeo-Christian faiths as it shows the majesty and might of "the creator God". The Buddhists will see it as a place of peace, tranquillity and meditation. I am sure the examples of its significance for other faiths are never ending.

Is there more to Uluru than just the climb? While we had our 3 day pass we did:

- a tour with a parks ranger looking at the geology and geography of the area (2 hours. Cost - free).
- a tour with traditional owner/ranger that looked at the "bush pantry (1 1/2 hours Cost - free).
- a tour with a parks ranger looking at the wild flowers that were out at the time (1 hour Cost - Free).
- a tour around the north-western face of the base (approx 1 1/2 hours Cost - free)
- a tour of the traditional owner and an interpreter (1 1/2 hours Cost - free)
- Self guided walk around the base (too long - cost free)
- 3 sunsets and 3 sunrises (took as long as we wanted Cost - free)
- 3 days unlimited entry to the Cultural Centre and Galleries. Including sitting with on of the local artists (Happy Reid) and having her tell us her Tjukurpa - drawing each part it in the sand and then painting it on a canvas (memories - endless. Cost - priceless)
- I forget the countless hours we spent just wandering around.

There were other things we could have done which we would have had to pay for, we chose not to. I did splurge and spent heaps on a helicopter charter for my wife and kids. Best $600 bucks I ever spent - tour around Uluru and Kata Tjuta - supposed to be an hour but we went over a bit (nearly 1 1/2 hours total) not bad for just having the four of us on board with a super informative pilot.

For me and my family, we had a ball. We learnt something of an ancient culture, as well as the significance in modern day culture. We made geological links to our own landscape in Western Australia. Mostly, I learnt something deeper about respect and tolerance.

Cheers

Anthony

AnswerID: 556846

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 15:17

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 15:17
hi Honky
well thank goodness for the good old days
i went there in October 1980 with caravan and stayed in original park and again in July 1987 when we camped at the uluru hotel/motel site camp ground
i have climbed the rock twice and the Olga's cost b/all to stay in those days and wasn't packed out with tourists although there were t/buses there was only restrictions on climbing second trip if it was too windy a huge number of tourist have died during climbing due to falls but that was kept hush in later years
camps were dirt based and no power at Uluru site but we accepted that after all it is the centre of Aus
i feel blessed for the experience when i had the chance and found it inspiring both visits but everyone is different i don't feel a need to return
it's difficult to keep everyone happy these days when fee's are applied
i guess they might sort it out one day?? i'm happy with no regrets from my visits
cheers
AnswerID: 556849

Reply By: Winner W - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 16:07

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 16:07
My only reason for not having visited Uluru yet is all the rumours about not allowed to climb it or go near it by the time we get there. Perceptions of a place to tourists are important for an attraction fairly remote as it is. The original owners prefer to not have tourists trashing their place so I think they are not bothered by drop in numbers. They are not dependend on the income from tourists.
AnswerID: 556855

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 19:51

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 19:51
I have been there 3 times, I am still mystified as to why people are so intent on climbing it, I haven't felt the need to yet and I am sure I will be back.

If that is your main reason for not going is because you may not be able to climb it then that is pathetic, I really don't understand why some people even want to travel.

What makes me laugh Winner is your basis for not going is based on a friggen rumor, REALLY.. ROTFLMAO.
FollowupID: 843178

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 18:40

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 18:40
I think it's a special place and totally understand why it has spiritual significance for some people. I'm glad I climbed it back before it was frowned upon. I look back on it as a fantastic experience. I've been back a few times and always enjoy it even without the climb. You have to expect to pay a few bucks more when you are at the end of a 400 km cul de sac. I don't think a drop in visitor numbers is due to cost. I think it's just too far to drive for people that are getting more time poor. There are easier destinations.
AnswerID: 556859

Follow Up By: Member Boroma 604 - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 23:15

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 23:15
Gooday,
I still prefer to call it Ayers Rock and always will, went there the first time in 1964, camped at the grounds at the Base, Bill Harney was Ranger at that time. Climbed it then, they had only put the first short length of chain up 3 weeks earlier about 20-25 feet.

Did not get back again until 2000, back in 2004, climbed it again then after I got new Hips. There again in 2006 on way to Laverton & beyond, again in 2011 doing the same trip. Think it is a marvellous spectacle, when we went in 2000 My Wife reckoned it was the highlight of our trip around Australia.
Think it is crazy all the limitations they have there now, become a real Nanny affair.
Cheers,
Boroma604

FollowupID: 843151

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 14:42

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 14:42
Last year we spent four days at Yalara. We found plenty to see and do in the area and felt that the National Park was very well run. We did not think the charge for a powered site At Yalara was too exorbitant considering the remote location. Plenty of CPs charge more when they are much closer to cheaper utilities and transport.
The decline in tourist numbers this year is being noticed in many places which are expensive to visit because of distance or other costs. This year we have travelled in northern Queensland, to areas very appreciative of the annual "grey nomad" pilgrimage and the "rush to the Cape". We have heard many comments about the drop in visitor numbers and the late start to the tourist season.
It could all be as simple as people taking shorter holidays and trying to cut costs by visiting areas closer to home as they worry more about their financial circumstances, job security and superannuation etc. John and Lynne
AnswerID: 556875

Reply By: Zippo - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 16:41

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 16:41
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the visitor numbers - domestic vs overseas, and retirees vs "holidayers". That may shed some light on the causes. Certainly a lot of retirees have income streams from investments which are feeling the pinch from the lower interest rates of the past few years, and that may be a factor in that group's deciding to visit a relatively remote location with monopoly pricing.

I'm not convinced that it is a more than once-only destination for many Aussies, and I don't see it as a particularly attractive destination for families with young tin-lids. In their younger years we took our three kids to many locations in Australia and overseas but Ayer's Rock/The Olgas weren't among them. We have ourselves been back there in 2014 and again in 2015, but more as a result of using the GCR as our preferred way out of WA to reach the rest of Oz.

Having recently experienced the Kakadu bit where NT-ites don't have to pay for a pass (yes, all Australians are equal, but apparently some are more equal than others), I'm glad that particular bias hasn't reached the rock (yet). If it does and we happen to be out that way again, I'd be sorely tempted to get a GCR east-west permit just to get from Yulara into the rock park.
AnswerID: 556878

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 18:35

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 18:35
Its become an increasing rip off over time Honky, espically since they built the resort so far away.

If it wasn't for the climb up it wouldn't be worth the petrol to drive there !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556881

Follow Up By: Tim F3 - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 19:52

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 19:52
Hello Robin , i think you have summed it up,,,Is it worth the cost to get there ??? I ve been there once, innaminca 4 times ,birdsville ,broken hill, south aust ,fraser island,vict alpine regions many times....Would go again to alice or broome BUT why would i go back to the rock ????????
It is beautiful and magestic,has great history but there are many alternatives..Not just the camping fees.. It costs a lot more than that to travel..

FollowupID: 843179

Reply By: Geoff N (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 22:14

Saturday, Jul 11, 2015 at 22:14
It seems to me that, should the Head Ranger break wind on wakening in the morning, the breeze is judged too fast and they decide that the climb should be closed.
With regard to the caravan park, it is a bit expensive and the facilities can be poorly maintained and inadequate for the number of people who show up in the winter.

There is a useable free camping area before you get to Yulara on the southern side of the highway with the turnoff marked by a water tank near -25.220159, 131.229938.
I would caution all readers against an apparently common habit of camping there but sneaking into Yulara after sundown to use the facilities without payment. Totally inappropriate.
AnswerID: 556890

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 08:24

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 08:24
Numbers declining or rip-off pass $$ declining ? Was - is a great little black market by back packers , stay at Coward Springs and your bound to be offered a pass with 2 days remaining for $10 or 1 day remaining for $5 ,,,,,,,,,
AnswerID: 556949

Sponsored Links