Water Crossing

Submitted: Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:06
ThreadID: 11947 Views:2157 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
So your on the river bank, having just walked across the water crossing you find the bottom is pebbly and about 900mm at the deepest. Your vehicle is equipped with a snorkel but manufacturers safe depth is 700mm, so if you stop although the engine could run other electronics might not do as well. You decide to tarp up to be safe. We cross the river only to be stuck at the exit point because we got swept downstream a bit and the bank was too steep to exit we are in 800mm of water. If I open the door the car will be flooded, CD stacker GPS unit etc. I climb out the window but the car is tarped and to freewheel the winch I will have to take the tarp off to reach the clutch and also plug in the hand controller. I open the bonnet I have left the enging running too scared to stop it because I know the starter motor is under water, anyway I get and luckily we get back to a point where I can service the vehicle to keep us going really I only had to remove starter motor and dry out all diff breathers etc had been lengthened, is there a better way?
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topend - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:18

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:18
If the water is flowing too fast, don't cross.

Topend
AnswerID: 53772

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:58

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 15:58
Never been in that situation but I THINK I would have put the winch control in place and had it in the cab with me and let out about 10mtrs cable coiled up and had it ready to just feed out,

All theory as i say...but thats what I THINK I would have done. :-)
AnswerID: 53775

Reply By: Member - Noel C (VIC) - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 16:36

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 16:36
Kiwiangler's hit the nail on the head. Have the winch set up before crossing esp. to help with exit. If you were with others a linked winch crossing is possible with cables connected back and front of each vehicle (crossing one at a time), this is time consuming but at least you don't getv washed off course.
AnswerID: 53781

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 17:33

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 17:33
First thing you do when crossing running wter, is allow for current, and head in slightly upstream, allowing for water pressure to push you back to where you wish to be to exit.

I would of dropped the blind [if you think its needed] down the front of the radiator, not over the front of the bullbar, and I always reel some cable out and hook it to the top of the bullbar when 4wding alone, so if i end up nose into somewhere I can still get to the cable.

While the car is running, may as well back up a bit, and drive out where the exit is, because if the water pushed you downstream, you would be driving nose into the current, with less water pressure on the car, the door seals etc do a good job of holding out water, while the car is moving, but not while its parked normally.
AnswerID: 53786

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 20:01

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 20:01
Have been there a few times......but like most responses about I concur in being prepared before crossing. Alternatively sit and wait for the water and the current to subside a bit. Boil the billy or have a few cold ones.

Modern vehicles are pain with all their electronics. Thirty years ago we drove through the swollen Finnis River with ten blokes hanging on to the Suzuki. The missus and I were sitting chest deep in water inside the cabin. We got across. But the CB Radio went under. Wrapped it in a towel and put it in the oven when we got home and warmed it up. Worked even better then.

On another occasion I could not cross a raging creek in a Suzuki ute when a bloke in a Tojo came along and offered a tow. Halfway across Tumbling Waters Creek the towrope came loose and we started to drift downstream. My mate and I opened the doors and sank the little truck and held on to the bullbar to stop it from drifting away until we could get the rope back on again. All electrics survived. No computers in those days.

Probably had another ten sinkings over the years. Now that I am older and wiser(methinks) I tend to be more cautious.

Cheers
AnswerID: 53807

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:03

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:03
Computers just mean some more preperation, before you leave home, as aside to beside the river.

Nissan Patrols are the worst I have seen, with the computer unside down at the kick panel, so when water gets in, it cant get out, which means removing the ecu, and emptying, and drying it.

My 80 which was petrol, unichipped as well saw 4-5ft of water [half way up the screen with 3" lift and 36" tyres] many times, not inside though, and the ecu was moved on mine up behind the dash as far as the loom would reach. An easy thing to do.
FollowupID: 315502

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 21:27

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 21:27
Must have been still water, or did the 80 just watch it from the bank?
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 315517

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 22:12

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 22:12
it was reasonably still water, opening the doors and sinking the car always helps ;-)

Anyone who has done Lazarini's or holylands link track, or tom groggin, at the end of winter would know deep water.

Below is a video of me crossing the Macallister river at beurgoines track when deep, the bonnet of the troopy was 4'6" high with 3" lift and 36" swampers,a nd if you watch as the camera pans back to straight ahead, the water almost comes over the bonnet. Pushed us 2 car lengths downstream as we crossed too.

troopy in 4 feet of water running fast
FollowupID: 315520

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 20:36

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 20:36
900 mm of water with current is too deep to attempt a crossing. Once water is deeper than the floorpan of the vehicle it is not a vehicle any more it is a boat. The golden rules 1.Do I really need to go there 2. Does the need justify the risk 3. Can I go and return safely 4.If in doubt , don't. You would not believe how many vehicles get washed away by current up here. A guy sees his mate drive through deep water with current in a drop side ute and he assumes he can do the same thing in a wagon with twice the water bearing area. Goooone Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 53844

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 21:34

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 21:34
Rob,
All those replies.....and your's was the only one that made any real sense.....
If you follow those 4 rules, you should never find yourself in this sort of predicament.
JMHO.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 315623

Sponsored Links