Road Conditions to Innamincka

I am intending to travel to Innamincka in the next couple of days and I am trying to decide which way to go. The choices are Lyndhurst to Innamincka, Broken Hill - Tibooburra - Warri Gate - Nappa Merri to Innamincka or Broken Hill - Tibooburra - Cameron's Corner - Innamincka.

I am driving a Mazda BT50 and I want to take my van (Jayco Starcraft Outback) if I can. I have taken my van over number of rough roads and I am happy with rough because I can drive slowly but I am not happy with mile after mile of corrugations.

The Road Conditions say that the Strzelecki is open to 4wds from Lyndhurst to Merty Merty and Open for the rest. The Cameron Corner way is Open and the Warri Gate was Caution.

If anyone been on these roads in the last couple of weeks can they let me know what the conditions are like?

Thanks,
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: dean ( SA ) - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 13:44

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 13:44
Not towing but a couple of weeks back we traveled Broken Hill-Tibooburra-Cameron Corner-Innamincka via Merty Merty and Old Strez and other than a bit of water on the Old Strez all roads were in excellent condition and there were caravans, campers etc. galore. I don't think it has rained since so should all be good.
AnswerID: 557001

Reply By: Pegasus_rise - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 18:11

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 18:11
Hi Bob

Drove from Lyndhurst to Inna last Tuesday. The road was fine, easy going. I'm a big advocate for lower speeds, and it allows for lower pressures. Ran 23F and 26R towing camper. Barring rain, all good.

Best

Gary
AnswerID: 557013

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 05:40

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 05:40
Thank you both for replying so promptly. You have put my mind at ease. I haven't been via Tibooburra for over ten years so I will go that way and come back home down the Strzelecki. I live in Mount Gambier so the distances are similar. This will be my 13th trip to Innamincka but my first in a van.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 557030

Follow Up By: bruce bb1 - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 09:19

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 09:19
G'day Bob - currently in Port Mac and freezing and wet (as usual) but if you're going to Tibooburra (great spot), don't forget to visit the pub at Milparinka and have a look around the town that various volunteers are restoring. Definitely worth it, unfortunately i have yet managed to have a beer there after quite a few attempts. One day i'll get in there.
cheers bb1
FollowupID: 843338

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 09:48

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 09:48
Bob

Usually the roads are in reasonable condition baring any rain. There has been plenty of roadworks conducted in the Innamincka region in recent times to cater for the oil/gas exploration and development.

As an alternative to travelling via Warri Gate, you could consider a drive through the Sturt National Park and north via Toona Gate. A lovely drive and slightly shorter and my preferred route travelling from Tibooburra to Innamincka...

I don't envisage you would encounter any problems towing.

This is a trek file of the route you can review or follow.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 557033

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 19:20

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 19:20
To All,
Tonight I made it to Packsaddle. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the road from Broken Hill is almost all bitumen. It wasn't ten or so years ago, in fact it was very rough. I let all my tires down at the start of the dirt out of Broken Hill and then couldn't drive at any speed on the mostly bitumen road.

Tomorrow is Tibooburra and I have been told the road is almost all bitumen as well. I am looking forward to Tibooburra. I intend to have a good look around this time. Last time I spent most of it in the pubs.

Thanks again for your great advice.
Bob

AnswerID: 557080

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 19:44

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 19:44
Hey Bob

At the risk of sending you into another pub, don't pass by Milparinka without dropping into the pub, again!

Cheers Baz
FollowupID: 843393

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 05:11

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 05:11
On your good advice I stopped at Milparinka and had a beer. It was very pleasant. I also visited Poole's Grave etc.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 557126

Reply By: David & Jo - Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 16:41

Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 16:41
Thanks for posting this information Bob as we have been researching this road for our trip in September. We also have a Starcraft OB towed with a Pajero and from Adelaide so your information is invaluable.
I was wondering though about the dirt parts and how rough are they and is it worth airing down just for these parts? Approx how many km's is there of dirt if you took any notice?

Cheers and safe travelling.
AnswerID: 557205

Follow Up By: Member - Lester77 - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 23:46

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 23:46
Was there a few weeks ago and there is only a 20km section of dirt between Broken Hill and Packsaddle, but more dirt than bitumen for the rest to Tibooburra. Was in great condition albeit with a few wet patches just after some rain.
FollowupID: 843594

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Monday, Jul 27, 2015 at 17:53

Monday, Jul 27, 2015 at 17:53
I ended up driving via Cameron's Corner and it had had a lot of traffic over it in the past two weeks. (The Warry Warry Gate road was apparently in pretty good condition but a lot longer, and the Toona Gate road was very rough so I was told). It was okay to the Toona Gate turnoff but pretty rough after that to Cameron's Corner. After that it was a bit better but not much. It improved heaps on the Old Strzelecki and also the new Strzelecki into Innamincka. I had a few problems when I got to Innamincka. My outside light and the gas water heater stopped working. I tracked this back to the Setec. The spade terminal on fuse 4 had come off. I tried the heater and it started but stopped after a few seconds. I blew out the heater with my compressor and that fixed the heater. I had some loose screws which I glued and used bigger screws where I could and I am generally in good nick.

I left Innamincka via the Nappa Merrie Bridge. There is 30km of dirt to the border which was a bit rough, and another 14km on the QLD side which was okay.

That is enough dirt for me for a while. The tyres are pumped up and I am heading home via the bitumen.

Regards,
Bob
FollowupID: 843755

Sponsored Links